It is currently 06/18/24 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4   [ 92 posts ]
PostPosted: 08/02/16 10:23 am • # 26 
Editorialist

Jim, if Don goes all Bill O'Reilly in a debate, he's toast. Hillary won't have to say much, just tolerate him for 45 minutes without punching him the nose. People hate watching a bully abuse a lady.

PostPosted: 08/02/16 10:37 am • # 27 
Administrator

oskar576 wrote:
Trump will likely be "miced" if there are debates.

Again exposing my own ignorance, what is "miced", oskar?

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/02/16 10:44 am • # 28 
Editorialist

grampatom wrote:
Jim, if Don goes all Bill O'Reilly in a debate, he's toast. Hillary won't have to say much, just tolerate him for 45 minutes without punching him the nose. People hate watching a bully abuse a lady.

Didn't hurt him with Fiorina. Hillary is in a tight spot. If she lowers herself to his standards and fights back she'll be labelled as "shrill" and "such a girl". If she stays quiet it will show she can't stand-up to bullies or it weak. She could wipe the floor with him in a real debate, but is in "no win" territory in a Trump rules debate.

Last edited by jimwilliam on 08/02/16 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08/02/16 10:45 am • # 29 
Administrator

sooz06 wrote:
oskar576 wrote:

Sooz

Wired.

PostPosted: 08/02/16 11:01 am • # 30 
Administrator

oskar576 wrote:
sooz06 wrote:
oskar576 wrote:

Sooz

Wired.

AHHHHH ~ thanks, oskar ~

That's a BIG gamble ~ but it's definitely within the realm of "trumpism" ~ :ey

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/02/16 2:40 pm • # 31 
Editorialist

Jim, he didn't have a one-one with Carly. She was just one player in a free-for-all. Carly would have humiliated him in a one-one-one, she's tough. Fact is, she actually did a number on him even in the multi-candidate melee. She got nearly all the next-morning headlines for the shots she put on him. I think that was the performance that got Carly the notice she needed to jump top the near top of the pack, albeit briefly.

PostPosted: 08/02/16 3:48 pm • # 32 
Editorialist

Sooz[/quote]

Wired.[/quote]
AHHHHH ~ thanks, oskar ~

That's a BIG gamble ~ but it's definitely within the realm of "trumpism" ~ :ey

Sooz[/quote]

LOL Sooz. it took me a few minutes to figure that out. I was thinking "miced" ?! as in mouse. :lol After a search, I found that most people think it should be typed as mic'd.

PostPosted: 08/02/16 3:55 pm • # 33 
Editorialist

And here I was assuming it was probably supposed to be "minced".

PostPosted: 08/02/16 4:00 pm • # 34 
Administrator

I was just patiently waiting for a consensus on "miced". :o

PostPosted: 08/09/16 8:20 am • # 35 
Administrator

C'mon, DT ~ show us you're not scared to debate Hillary! ~ :ey ~ Sooz

TPM LIVEWIRE
Clinton Agrees To Debate Schedule After Complaints From Trump
By Caitlin MacNeal Published August 9, 2016, 9:08 AM EDT

Hillary Clinton campaign chair John Podesta on Monday said that Clinton will participate in all three presidential debates, challenging Donald Trump to agree to the schedule.

"Secretary Clinton looks forward to participating in all three presidential debates scheduled by the independent debate commission," Podesta said in a statement. "With so much at stake in the fall elections, she believes these debates will provide the American people with an important opportunity to hear from the candidates on issues critical to the country's future."

He then alluded to Trump's complaints that Clinton and Democrats tried to "rig the debates." Trump cited as proof the fact that two of the debates fall on the same night as NFL games.

"The only issue now is whether Donald Trump is going to show up to debate at the date, times, places and formats set by the commission last year through a bipartisan process,” Podesta said in the statement. “We will accept the commission's invitation and expect Donald Trump to do the same."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/clinton-agrees-debates-trump

PostPosted: 08/09/16 8:56 am • # 36 
Administrator

The ball is clearly in Trump's court. Megan Whatshername could be one of the moderators.

PostPosted: 08/09/16 1:39 pm • # 37 
Administrator

DT crossed the theshold and has become a caricature of himself ~ :ey ~ Sooz

TPM LIVEWIRE
Trump Agrees To Three Debates—If He Likes The Terms
By Esme Cribb Published August 9, 2016, 2:01 PM EDT

Donald Trump said Tuesday that he will "absolutely" commit to three presidential debates with Hillary Clinton, but he suggested that he'd try to renegotiate the terms first.

“I will absolutely do three debates,” Trump said in a phone interview with Time. “I want to debate very badly. But I have to see the conditions.”

He went on to imply that he may try to change the terms of the debates.

“I renegotiated the debates in the primaries, remember? They were making a fortune on them and they had us in for three and a half hours and I said that’s ridiculous,” Trump said.

During the Republican primaries, Trump planned to skip two debates, although the second debate he planned to skip was ultimately canceled.

Trump said he also reserved the right to object to the Commission on Presidential Debates' choice of moderators, telling Time that "certain moderators would be unacceptable, absolutely."

A commission official told Time that while certain "fine points" could be negotiated, the format as announced was non-negotiable.

Trump previously objected to the debate schedule, saying that it was rigged by the Democrats because two of the debates were scheduled to occur during NFL games.

On Monday, Hillary Clinton's campaign chair, John Podesta, said that she plans to participate in all three presidential debates and challenged Trump to "show up" and do the same.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-agrees-three-debates-but-wants-renegotiate

PostPosted: 08/09/16 1:48 pm • # 38 
Administrator

Clinton accepted the conditions.
Trump is too chicken to do the same.

PostPosted: 08/09/16 4:05 pm • # 39 
Administrator

He wants someone from the softball team to moderate.

PostPosted: 08/09/16 4:12 pm • # 40 
Administrator

jabra2 wrote:
He wants someone from the softball team to moderate.

I hear Ben Gazee is looking for work.

PostPosted: 08/09/16 4:49 pm • # 41 
Administrator

No way. He's worn out and has become tiresome long ago.

PostPosted: 08/15/16 9:34 am • # 42 
Administrator

I confess: I'm thinking DT will find a way to NOT debate Hillary ~ while he will never admit it, I'm thinking he knows his typical tricks will not work with the general election voters and that Hillary will mop the floor with him with her vast knowledge ~ I seriously doubt anyone DT considers a "good" moderator [think Alex Jones, et al ~ :g ] will be 100% acceptable to the rest of the world ~ :ey ~ Sooz

Presidential debate schedule far from settled
08/15/16 10:08 AM
By Steve Benen

Given that it’s the middle of August, the fall’s presidential debates may seem like a distant dot on the horizon, but take another look at the calendar: the first showdown is scheduled for Sept. 26. That’s exactly six weeks from today.

Whether that debate will actually happen, however, is still unclear.

When we last checked in on this story a couple of weeks ago, Donald Trump was asked whether he would accept the schedule adopted by the bipartisan Commission on Presidential Debates. The Republican not only declined to answer, he also made a series of demonstrably false claims about the process.

Last week, Politico reported that there is “increasing concern in news and political circles that Donald Trump will not agree to the three slated presidential debates this fall, a historic break with political norms in the lead-up to the election.”

Quote:
Debate moderators have not been announced, but Republican and Democratic sources, senior media executives and anchors in New York and Washington are casting serious doubt about whether Trump will agree to participate in the primetime events.

Multiple typically chatty Trump sources either passed the buck or did not respond to emails about whether the GOP presidential nominee is committed to participating…. During any other presidential cycle, attendance at the debates would never be in doubt.

Trump told Time magazine he’s “absolutely” prepared to participate in the scheduled events, but note the caveat in his answer: “I want to debate very badly. But I have to see the conditions.”

In the same interview, Trump said, “I renegotiated the debates in the primaries, remember? They were making a fortune on them and they had us in for three and a half hours and I said that’s ridiculous. I’m sure they’ll be open to any suggestions I have, because I think they’ll be very fair suggestions. But I haven’t [seen the conditions] yet.”

The GOP nominee added, “I’ll have to see who the moderators are. Yeah, I would say that certain moderators would be unacceptable, absolutely. I did very well in the debates on the primaries. According to the polls, I won all of them. So I look forward to the debates. But, yeah, I want to have fair moderators…. I will demand fair moderators.”

No one on Team Trump has specified who would meet the threshold for “fair,” but these comments certainly leave open the possibility of the Republican candidate refusing to participate.

If Trump balks, this will be the first year since 1972 in which the major-party presidential nominees did not debate.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/presidential-debate-schedule-far-settled

PostPosted: 08/15/16 9:36 am • # 43 
Administrator

If Trump balks he'll be seen as a chicken.

PostPosted: 08/15/16 9:54 am • # 44 
Editorialist

Between 1960, when Nixon had such a bad showing in the debate against Kennedy, and 1976, when the debates restarted, the winners of each election refused debates.

PostPosted: 08/15/16 10:10 am • # 45 
Administrator

None of them was the Donald.

PostPosted: 08/28/16 7:28 am • # 46 
Administrator

Josh Marshall does a good job of identifying a real problem: DT's hyper-sensitivity and penchant for declaring anyone who questions anything he says or does as "biased against him" ~ :ey ~ Sooz

TPM EDBLOG
Cause for Concern
By Josh Marshall Published August 27, 2016, 10:05 PM EDT

There's something I want to flag. There's always been some debate over whether the national debate 'commission', which no one picked to be in charge of debates but simply created itself, should control the presidential debate regime. That said, they've actually done quite a good job of it over the generation they've run the process. As political debates go, the debates are pretty substantive. And they've made it much more difficult for the frontrunner to set the terms of debating or in theory choose not to debate at all. Aside from minor negotiations at the margins, they've never budged from any of their decisions over format, moderators, timing, etc. But ... this year we still haven't heard who the moderators are going to be because the Commission is trying to be sure they pick people who Donald Trump or his supporters won't view as biased against him.

That is a huge, huge problem. Obviously this should always be a top priority. The moderators shouldn't have a bias against either candidate. But Trump of course sees everybody who is not obsequious and toady-ish as biased against him. Over recent weeks he's made Sean Hannity his official interviewer, like a doofus Boswell to Trump's clownshow Dr. Johnson.

He tried to set the tone with those silly complaints about conflicts with NFL games. And the only reason to be especially solicitous of these concerns is that Trump has a history of complaining. This is no more than recapitulating his strategy through life, business and this political race: start with aggressive over-the-top demands, try to assert dominance at the outset so as to engage solely on his own terms and with his dominance already an accepted fact.

In any case, they're not going to find anybody Trump won't claim is biased. No one. Literally, no one unless it's someone like Hannity or Hugh Hewitt. My concern is he's gotten inside their heads with his antics and they'll find someone who is a known softballer or someone who actually is biased in favor of Trump. More likely they will create a situation where the moderator is given a brief which makes them fall over themselves to prove they are not biased against Trump.

Perhaps we'll find out that they're just doing an extra level of vetting to make sure the people they pick didn't say something mean about Trump six months ago or something - though frankly, how many sentient people haven't made some critical comment about Trump in the last year?

We'll have to see what happens. But the unique solicitousness and effort to avoid predictable and disingenuous criticism is a bad, bad sign.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/cause-for-concern

PostPosted: 08/28/16 11:47 am • # 47 
Editorialist

But ... this year we still haven't heard who the moderators are going to be because the Commission is trying to be sure they pick people who Donald Trump or his supporters won't view as biased against him.

That is a problem. Where do they find someone with at least half a wit, who won't drool on the microphone, knows a few words of more than two syllables and won't refer to blacks as "n***ers"?

PostPosted: 08/28/16 12:19 pm • # 48 
Editorialist

what's the matter, DT, can't compete with the silly old NFL?

PostPosted: 09/02/16 9:03 am • # 49 
Administrator

A solid group of moderators ~ I was curious who from Fox would be tapped, and I'm okay with Chris Wallace ... he's generally not a toady and has held DT's feet to the fire regularly ~ but the BIG question remains: will DT even show up? ~ :ey ~ there are "live links" to more/corroborating information in the original ~ Sooz

2016 debate schedule comes into focus for Clinton, Trump
09/02/16 10:40 AM
By Steve Benen

Up until fairly recently, there was quite a bit of uncertainty about whether or not Donald Trump would agree to debate Hillary Clinton at all. Evidently, there’s been considerable progress on this front: the Commission on Presidential Debates this morning announced the hosts and moderators of the upcoming events.

First Presidential Debate:
Monday, September 26, Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY
Moderator: Lester Holt, Anchor, NBC Nightly News

Vice Presidential debate:
Tuesday, October 4, Longwood University, Farmville, VA
Moderator: Elaine Quijano, CBSN Anchor and CBS News Correspondent

Second Presidential Debate:
Sunday, October 9, Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, MO
Moderators: Martha Raddatz, ABC’s Chief Global Affairs Correspondent, and Anderson Cooper, Anchor, CNN

Third Presidential Debate:
Wednesday, October 19, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV
Chris Wallace, Anchor, Fox News Sunday

Keep in mind that it was only a few weeks ago that Trump raised the prospect of skipping these showdowns, and vowed to raise a series of “demands.” The bluster apparently didn’t amount to much: the schedule is unchanged from the previously announced dates.

If Team Trump intended to use the moderator-selection process as an excuse to bow out, that opportunity has come and gone.

And that means we can now officially begin the next phase in the process: the quadrennial Expectations Game.

As we discussed around four years ago at this time, presidential campaigns invest quite a bit of energy in trying to manage expectations ahead of the debates. Aides sometimes go to comical lengths to argue that their rival is an extraordinary debater, while their boss is woefully unprepared for the events.

My personal favorite came in 2004, when the Bush/Cheney team, with great sincerity, told campaign reporters that John Kerry was the greatest debater since Cicero, the legendary orator from ancient Rome.

It probably won’t get quite so silly this year, but some similar angling has already begun. Hillary Clinton’s press secretary, Brian Fallon, recently touted Trump’s “showmanship” as evidence of why he’ll be “a formidable debate foe.”

Team Trump, meanwhile, has been busy telling reporters that the GOP candidate isn’t really preparing much for the debates and doesn’t see the need to participate in mock debates ahead of the real thing.

My advice: take all of this with a grain of salt. Both Clinton and Trump will take these events seriously, and they’ve already begun preparing. Efforts to set expectations will continue apace, but shouldn’t be taken too seriously.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/2016-debate-schedule-comes-focus-clinton-trump#break

PostPosted: 09/02/16 10:40 am • # 50 
Administrator

I don't like the very last debate moderated by Wallace. Bad feeling about this.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4   [ 92 posts ] New Topic Add Reply