It is currently 05/25/24 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next   Page 1 of 8   [ 191 posts ]
 Post subject: More Robert Reich
PostPosted: 07/08/15 8:08 am • # 1 
Administrator

Cutting thru the smoke-and-mirrors ~ :st ~ Sooz

Robert Reich: The California County That's Leading the Way in Cutting the Banks Out of Its Economy
Robert Reich says counties should follow Santa Cruz's lead.
By Robert Reich / RobertReich.org / July 5, 2015

What exactly does it mean for a big Wall Street bank to plead guilty to a serious crime? Right now, practically nothing.

But it will if California’s Santa Cruz County has any say.

First, some background.

Five giant banks – including Wall Street behemoths JPMorgan Chase and Citicorp – recently pleaded guilty to criminal felony charges that they rigged the world’s foreign-currency market for their own profit.

This wasn’t a small heist. We’re talking hundreds of billions of dollars worth of transactions every day.

The banks altered currency prices long enough for the banks to make winning bets before the prices snapped back to what they should have been.

Attorney General Loretta Lynch called it a “brazen display of collusion” that harmed “countless consumers, investors and institutions around the globe — from pension funds to major corporations, and including the banks’ own customers.”

The penalty? The banks have agreed to pay $5.5 billion. That may sound like a big chunk of change, but for a giant bank it’s the cost of doing business. In fact, the banks are likely to deduct the fines from their taxes as business costs.

The banks sound contrite. After all, they can’t have the public believe they’re outright crooks.

It’s “an embarrassment to our firm, and stands in stark contrast to Citi’s values,“ says Citigroup CEO Michael Corbat.

Values? Citigroup’s main value is to make as much money as possible. Corbat himself raked in $13 million last year.

JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon calls it "a great disappointment to us,” and says “we demand and expect better of our people.”

Expect better? If recent history is any guide – think of the bank’s notorious “London Whale” a few years ago, and, before that, the wild bets leading to the 2008 bailout – JPMorgan expects exactly this kind of behavior from its people.

Which helped Dimon rake in $20 million last year, as well as a $7.4 million cash bonus.

When real people plead guilty to felonies, they go to jail. But big banks aren’t people despite what the five Republican appointees to the Supreme Court say.

The executives who run these banks aren’t going to jail, either. Apologists say it’s not fair to jail bank executives because they don’t know what their rogue traders are up to.

Yet ex-convicts often suffer consequences beyond jail terms.

In many states they lose their right to vote. They can’t run for office or otherwise participate in the political process.

So why not take away the right of these convicted banks to participate in the political process, at least for some years? That would stop JPMorgan’s Dimon from lobbying Congress to roll back the Dodd-Frank act, as he’s been doing almost non-stop.

Why not also take away their right to pour money into politics? Wall Street banks have been among the biggest contributors to political campaigns. If they’re convicted of a felony, they should be barred from making any political contributions for at least ten years.

Real ex-convicts also have difficulty finding jobs. That’s because, rightly or wrongly, many people don’t want to hire them.

A strong case can be made that employers shouldn’t pay attention to criminal convictions of real people who need a fresh start, especially a job.

But giant banks that have committed felonies are something different. Why shouldn’t depositors and investors consider their past convictions?

Which brings us to Santa Cruz County.

The county’s board of supervisors just voted not to do business for five years with any of the five banks felons.

The county won’t use the banks’ investment services or buy their commercial paper, and will pull its money out of the banks to the extent it can.

“We have a sacred obligation to protect the public’s tax dollars and these banks can’t be trusted. Santa Cruz County should not be involved with those who rigged the world’s biggest financial markets,” says supervisor Ryan Coonerty.

The banks will hardly notice. Santa Cruz County’s portfolio is valued at about $650 million.

But what if every county, city, and state in America followed Santa Cruz County’s example, and held the big banks accountable for their felonies?

What if all of us taxpayers said, in effect, we’re not going to hire these convicted felons to handle our public finances? We don’t trust them.

That would hit these banks directly. They’d lose our business. Which might even cause them to clean up their acts.

There’s hope. Supervisor Coonerty says he’ll be contacting other local jurisdictions across the country, urging them to do what Santa Cruz County is doing.

Robert B. Reich has served in three national administrations, most recently as secretary of labor under President Bill Clinton. He also served on President Obama's transition advisory board. His latest book is "Aftershock: The Next Economy and America's Future." His homepage is www.robertreich.org.

http://www.alternet.org/economy/california-county-thats-leading-way-cutting-banks-out-its-economy

Post subject: Re: More Robert Reich
PostPosted: 07/08/15 8:52 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Now there's a good idea.

PostPosted: 07/08/15 10:03 am • # 3 
Editorialist

it is, imo, the ONLY idea that can save us. when corporations rule, then boycotting is voting.

PostPosted: 07/08/15 8:29 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

PostPosted: 08/27/15 9:24 am • # 5 
Administrator

Robert Reich has a congenital disease which stunted his growth ... but [thankfully!] not his mind ~ in reality, he is a giant amongst men ~ Sooz

Robert Reich wrote:
I’ve always been very short for my age, and when I was young was bullied a lot. Bullies prey on peoples’ vulnerabilities -- using intimidation and humiliation to belittle others and thereby make themselves feel and look more powerful. Bullies scapegoat the weak. They spread fear. They use their power – physical strength, status, rank, or money, to browbeat those who don’t have these attributes.

American society today is filled with bullies. Some are economic bullies – CEOs and Wall Street moguls who use their power to pad their wallets and ride roughshod over shareholders, employees, and communities. Some are billionaires like the Koch brothers who use their money to undermine our democracy. Some are wealthy blowhards like Donald Trump who use their megaphones to belittle immigrants and women. Some are politicians who take bribes (campaign contributions) to favor the rich and hurt the poor. Some are police who use their authority and weapons to intimidate or even kill poor blacks. Some are bosses at the workplace who use their rank to spread fear among employees.

What I learned as a small boy is bullies intensify their bullying if no one stands up to them. And the best way of standing up to them is to join with others who are also bullied, and demand a stop to it. That’s what’s needed now. That's what the movements we're witnessing (‪#‎blacklivesmatter‬, ‪#‎feelthebern‬ ‪#‎fightfor15‬ and so on) are seeking to do.

Your thoughts?

PostPosted: 08/27/15 9:33 am • # 6 
Administrator

It's how we treated bullies at school.
The bullied banded together and beat the living crap out of the bullies out behind the rec shed. We also left them with a warning that if there was any retaliation it would be worse the next time.
It worked.

PostPosted: 08/27/15 10:50 am • # 7 
Editorialist

genius.

PostPosted: 08/27/15 11:02 am • # 8 
Administrator

macroscopic wrote:
genius.

Self-defense.
One-on-one problems were settled with boxing gloves, either in the gym or at Father Dunn's drop-in centre.
More often than not, the two belligerents became friends, afterwards.
Should have added that there were no punches above the shoulders or below the belt. That was considered cheating and being known as a cheater was far worse than losing.

PostPosted: 08/27/15 11:59 am • # 9 
Administrator

Quote:
Should have added that there were no punches above the shoulders or below the belt.

Ahh, the good ole times. :tup

PostPosted: 08/27/15 12:06 pm • # 10 
Administrator

jabra2 wrote:
Quote:
Should have added that there were no punches above the shoulders or below the belt.

Ahh, the good ole times. :tup

WTH, it worked. And we had an over 80% graduation rate.

PostPosted: 09/20/15 4:27 pm • # 11 
Administrator

A friend emailed me a link to this Robert Reich Facebook post ~ seems like a lot of now FORMER Republicans are disgusted and disgruntled ~ it's late in the game but that is still music to my ears! ~ Sooz

Robert Reich wrote:
Robert Reich
Yesterday at 10:56am

I got a call this morning from an old college friend who’s been a lifelong Republican (for years we’ve kidded one another about our respective politics), who told me he had decided to leave the GOP.

“It’s become the Party of hatemongers and know-nothings,” he said. “I’m embarrassed to be one of them.”

I asked him what had tipped him over the edge.

“Everything,” he said. “Their harangues against undocumented immigrants and promises to round them up and build a wall along the southern border. Their willingness to accept charges Obama is a Muslim and not born in America; that vaccines cause autism; that global warming is a hoax.”

“Yeah,” I said. “Pretty awful.”

“But that’s not all,” he said, becoming agitated. “It’s also their knee-jerk warmongering substituting for foreign policy. Their intolerance of a woman’s right to choose, and of gays’ and lesbians’ right to marry. Their willful suppression of black votes. Their racism!”

It was as if I’d opened a sluice gate. He went on, almost shouting: “Their incessant pandering to their wealthy funders by wanting even more tax cuts for the rich and big corporations, and then lying that the benefits will “trickle-down.” Their attacks on teachers. Cuts in school budgets. Eagerness to cut school lunches for poor kids…”

“Whoa,” I stopped him. “I get it. But these aren’t all new. Why did you stay a Republican all these years?”

He was silent for a moment. “Because I admired Mark Hatfield and Nelson Rockefeller and Jacob Javits,” he said. “I supported Barry Goldwater and John McCain. They reflected my values. I kept thinking my Republican Party would come back. But now I know it’s dead. The Party is now a sinkhole of ignorance and bigotry.”

“So,” I asked with a smile in my voice, “does this mean you’re coming over to my side?”

“No,” he said, still deeply serious. “Not yet. For now I’m an Independent.”

“But you’ll vote for a Democrat in the presidential election?”
“Absolutely. The Republicans now running are all “a-- ----s.”

PostPosted: 09/21/15 1:28 pm • # 12 
"The Republicans now running are all “a-- ----s.” "

I type that practically every day on Facebook: "Stephen Harper is an asshole!"

PostPosted: 09/22/15 1:29 pm • # 13 
Administrator

From my Facebook feed ~ for me, even Robert Reich's random thoughts are a light in the dark tunnel ~ Sooz

Robert Reich wrote:
1 hr ago

I find it interesting that two men in their 70s – one Catholic, the other Jewish; one from Vermont, the other from Buenos Aires – share a common moral vision of what should be done to make our political-economic system work for the many rather than the few. I’ve been reading Pope Francis’s writings on capitalism and I can almost hear Bernie Sanders utter the same words (with a slightly different accent and cadence.)

Both agree that capitalism must have a moral center because it is based fundamentally on trust. Without trust, the entire system breaks down: More and more resources are spent trying to avoid being suckered by someone else; corruption escalates; every contract becomes more complex; zero-sum games proliferate; and to prevent or cope with fraud, accountants, actuaries, lawyers, and judges multiply.

But trust is impossible to achieve when so much wealth and power are in the hands of so few people. Then, inevitably, the game becomes rigged. Which is why the only kind of capitalism that can possibly survive is one that’s inclusive – one that honors a basic social bargain: An economy doesn't have to generate equal outcomes but it must provide equal opportunity. It doesn't have to enrich everyone but it must work for the benefit all.

By the way, as the Pope arrives in America, Bernie is honoring the visit by joining striking federal contract workers who are seeking a $15 minimum wage.

PostPosted: 09/22/15 2:21 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

have you seen Sabrina? it seems quaint, doesn't it? capitalism that actually sought to uplift people? whoda thunk?

PostPosted: 09/22/15 5:01 pm • # 15 
Editorialist

sooz06 wrote:
From my Facebook feed ~ for me, even Robert Reich's random thoughts are a light in the dark tunnel ~ Sooz

Reich is much more of an optimist by nature than I am, so I find it good to read his commentaries. He helps me to think not all is lost.

PostPosted: 09/22/15 6:30 pm • # 16 
Editorialist

it's not hard to be an optimist if you look at what happened between 1930 and 1970.

but damn, it is sure depressing to look at what has happened between 1978 and 2008.

PostPosted: 09/22/15 7:13 pm • # 17 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:
it's not hard to be an optimist if you look at what happened between 1930 and 1970.

but damn, it is sure depressing to look at what has happened between 1978 and 2008.

That really sums it up, Macro.

I think Reich is optimistic that we as nation can do again what was done in the early 1900's. It's been hard for me to believe that, but seeing the crowds supporting Bernie is helping to convince me.

PostPosted: 09/22/15 11:06 pm • # 18 
Editorialist

It would be something to see a contest between Bernie and The Donald in '16. I'm inclined to root for Trump now.

PostPosted: 09/26/15 5:22 pm • # 19 
Administrator

From my Facebook feed ~ Sooz

Robert Reich wrote:
1 hr

I’ve often been accused of being too optimistic, but consider:

1. Following months of a Republican presidential primary filled with racial and ethnic bigotry, abject narcissism, and obscene amounts of campaign money, comes a Pope reminding us America has been a nation of tolerance, humility, and fairness – and all but asking us to reject Trump, Carson, Huckabee, and the rest of the terrible lot.

2. After years of a growing civil war in the Republican Party between right-wing whackos and big-business conservatives, the GOP begins cracking up. The Speaker of the House resigns, big business Republicans are up in arms, and the rest of America sees just how phony and unprincipled the Republican Party has become.

3. Bernie Sanders continues to surge. (Yesterday I met with Latino and black students who told me more and more are watching his speeches on YouTube and backing him because he’s the only candidate who will make real change in America.)

Okay, maybe I am being a bit too upbeat. We have a long way to go before remedying what’s wrong with America. But I have enormous confidence in the basic decency of this land. History shows whenever Americans understand what we’re up against, we put ideology aside, roll up our sleeves, kick out the kooks and bigots, and get on with the hard task of making our economy and society work for the betterment of all.

I think the rightward tide that began with Ronald Reagan is now turning. What do you think?

PostPosted: 09/26/15 7:01 pm • # 20 
Editorialist

There's that damn Reich optimism again. :D

PostPosted: 09/28/15 9:36 am • # 21 
Editorialist

Robert Reich:

After CNBC’s John Harwood asked Jeb Bush why the economy has seen more growth under Democratic administrations over the last 35 years than under Republicans, Jeb gave a muddled answer and then pivoted to attacking Obama for being hostile to capitalism.

HARWOOD: You really think Obama’s hostile to capitalism? Trans-Pacific Partnership—he’s moving forward. South Korea, Colombia, he finished those agreements that your brother had moved down the line.

BUSH: I definitely do. I think he has a deep-seated belief that through government programs and through government regulation, you can improve the social condition.

Hello? So thinking government can improve the social condition makes you hostile to capitalism? Were Republican presidents Abraham Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt hostile to capitalism? If they – along with Democratic presidents like Franklin D. Roosevelt -- hadn’t improved the social condition, American capitalism might not have even survived.

I never thought it possible but I’m beginning to believe Jeb is dumber than his brother.

Your thoughts?

PostPosted: 09/28/15 10:08 am • # 22 
Administrator

Thankfully, every time Jeb opens his mouth, he digs himself deeper into deep doo-doo and is defeating himself ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/28/15 10:38 am • # 23 
Editorialist

Jeb is definitely starting to look dumber because he has fallen into the trap of defending his brother. "he finished those agreements that your brother had moved down the line". He has to attack Obama to prove his brother wasn't wrong about everything and to prove he is in line with the Republican way. But mostly because he defends his brother. That really makes him sound dumb.

PostPosted: 09/28/15 11:03 am • # 24 
Editorialist

Jeb always looks like he arrived 15 minutes late and isn't sure what's going on.

George always looked like he was on time but still didn't know what was going on.

PostPosted: 10/01/15 11:18 am • # 25 
Administrator

From my Facebook feed ~ I see Robert Reich as a national treasure ~ and FTR, an enormous portion of DT's "wealth" is on paper only ~ Sooz

Robert Reich wrote:
Robert Reich
13 hrs

I heard Stephen Forbes, editor of Forbes magazine and former Republican presidential candidate, say Donald Trump has lied about how much money he’s worth. Trump says he’s worth $8 billion. But Forbes, whose magazine just printed its annual list of the 400 richest Americans, says his researchers found that Trump’s fortune was about half that – about $4 billion. Forbes expects Trump to be furious about Forbes’ far lower estimate, and, indeed, Trump has been indignant that anyone would question how much money he’s made.

I can’t recall another presidential candidate in all of American history who tried to exaggerate his wealth. Even Mitt Romney sought to minimize his fortune. Trump is a new breed: A billionaire who wants us to believe he’s raked in even more billions than he actually has. And it's money he's made by using bankruptcy laws to minimize downside risks; wangle state and local tax breaks and subsidies, to add to upside gains; and exploit every possible dodge and loophole to minimize his taxes. Trump is the welfare queen of the billionaire class, yet he nonetheless exaggerates his fortune.

What do you think?

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next   Page 1 of 8   [ 191 posts ] New Topic Add Reply