It is currently 06/04/24 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: 10/08/09 4:20 am • # 1 

Gun-toting soccer mom found shot dead

Cops: Pa. woman's 3 children were home during suspected murder-suicide

updated 1 hour, 58 minutes ago

LEBANON, Pa. - A soccer mom who gained national attention when she openly carried a loaded gun to her 5-year-old daughter's game was shot dead Wednesday along with her husband in what appeared to be a murder-suicide, police said.

Meleanie Hain and Scott Hain were pronounced dead Wednesday night at their home in Lebanon, a small city about 80 miles west of Philadelphia.

The couple's three children were home at the time but weren't hurt, police said. They were taken to stay with friends and relatives.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33220258/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

The county sheriff took her permit to carry away nine days after she wore the gun to the soccer game, because the other parents were scared. She appealed and got the right to carry back and was suing the sheriff. He said he based his decision on a state law that prohibits certain gun permits from being given to anyone whose character and reputation make him or her a danger to public safety.

Didn't these actions prove him correct?

I know that I am biased against handguns. I find it that the most volatile personalities seem to be the most fascinated with guns. Societally what are we going to do about this?

PostPosted: 10/08/09 6:23 am • # 2 
Administrator

I am biased against handguns, too ~ and I am even more biased against assault weapons in private homes ~ my former 'significant other' for many years is a cop detective ~ I can give you literally dozens, if not hundreds, of stories of heartbreaking "accidental" gun deaths and injuries ~ this is a huge problem, especially in cities ~ one of the cases on the USSC docket this term is another attempt to overturn the Chicago handgun law ~ it would be extremely dangerous for the USSC to curtail or overturn any local handgun laws because local authorities are the ones with first-hand knowledge of, and first-hand experience with, local problems ~ since I find it unlikely in the extreme that there will ever be a federal ban on handguns, my second choice is mandated and stricter background checking and gun training for anyone interested in buying a gun before the purchase is completed ~ and yes, I do understand how that will affect gun shows ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 10/08/09 8:22 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Sigh.

Guns again. or guns, still.

There's no reason an urban dweller needs a handgun. Male or female, i think gun ownership is more about artificially boosting feelings of personal power, than any practical reason.

and let's face it. Self help books and therapists are safer.

PostPosted: 10/09/09 9:17 am • # 4 
Gun-toting mom was online video chatting with a friend when her husband shot her. The friend saw her husband pull the trigger. The two oldest kids, ages 10 and 6 ran from the house reporting the incident to the neighbors. The 2 year-old was at home when the murder and suicide took place.

Hubby was a parole officer/prison guard. Sad.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33245133/ns ... nd_courts/

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply