It is currently 05/11/24 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
PostPosted: 10/19/09 4:37 am • # 1 
Administrator

This is not an isolated problem ~ I can understand "cross-dressing" being more of an issue in younger classes, middle-school for example ~ but this young woman is a senior in hs, certainly old enough to decide for herself what to wear for a class picture ~ Sooz

Girl in tuxedo denied a place in school yearbook
Updated 6h 57m ago

JACKSON, Miss. - Veronica Rodriguez describes her daughter, 17-year-old Ceara Sturgis, as "a perfect child": a straight-A student, a goalie on the soccer team, a trumpet player in the band and active in Students Against Destructive Decisions.

Sturgis also is gay and feels more comfortable in boys' clothes, her mother says. So Rodriguez supported her daughter's decision to wear a tuxedo, rather than the drape customary for girls, when she had her senior portrait made in July. Now she is battling officials at Wesson Attendance Center in the Copiah County (Miss.) School District. Rodriguez said she received a letter from the school in August stating that only boys could wear tuxedos and have since refused to include the photo in the school yearbook.

The conflict is one of several this year involving how school districts handle cross-dressing students.

"The yearbook is not for the parents or the teachers. It's for the students," Rodriguez said. "She's not a troublemaker. She is gay."

Superintendent Ricky Clopton said the school district's attorney has assured him they are within their rights to exclude the photo.

Sturgis said she has received support from classmates and people around the nation. "It's really an amazing feeling," she said.

The Mississippi chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union warned the district that they are violating Sturgis' constitutionally protected freedom of expression, legal director Kristy Bennett said.

Candace Gingrich of the Human Rights Campaign, which advocates on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues, said it is not uncommon for LGBT students to clash with school officials on this issue. "It's a matter of self-expression," she said. Other school conflicts this year:

• In Waldorf, Md., a Westlake High senior was denied the option of wearing a tuxedo for her yearbook photo. Her mother complained, and the school reversed the decision after discovering other schools had allowed it, schools spokeswoman Katie O'Malley-Simpson said.

• In Dunnellon, Fla., a 16-year-old boy was sent home in March for violating Marion County School District dress code by wearing makeup, high-heeled boots and a bra. The policy on the district website states that students must dress "in keeping with their gender." Kathy Richardson, of the school district, said the boy's cross-dressing was an isolated event.

• In Lebanon, Ind., school officials in March reversed a ban on cross-dressing when a female senior decided to wear a tux to the prom. The girl sued the district, but the issue was settled when a "gender-neutral" policy was adopted. "We were OK with making that switch," Lebanon High Principal Kevin O'Rourke said.

In Sturgis' case, the deadline for yearbook photos was Sept. 30. Rodriguez hopes the school will reconsider.

Contributing: Marquita Brown. Joyner and Brown report for The Clarion-Ledger in Jackson, Miss.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... bian_N.htm

PostPosted: 10/19/09 5:11 am • # 2 
Administrator

Arseholes.

PostPosted: 10/19/09 6:31 am • # 3 
As long as it's not considered indecent clothing one would think students could wear what they want.

PostPosted: 10/19/09 6:43 am • # 4 
Oh geez , what difference or harm could come from letting the girl's sr photo in the yearbook. Are they afraid ' gay ' is contagious and let alone from a photo ???

PostPosted: 10/19/09 6:46 am • # 5 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Arseholes.

werd.

PostPosted: 10/19/09 6:51 am • # 6 
What are they putting in the water over there?
Who do they imagine they're protecting by this type of action?

Your society appears to be rolling backwards.

PostPosted: 10/19/09 6:51 am • # 7 
Editorialist

FeatheredFish wrote:
What are they putting in the water over there?
Who do they imagine they're protecting by this type of action?

Your society appears to be rolling backwards.

Dick Cheney's DNA.

PostPosted: 10/19/09 7:02 am • # 8 
If the kids were on their game, they should ALL come in cross-dressed in protest. When the NAZI's occupied Denmark, they ordered all Jews to wear an arm band with the Star of David on it. The Danes protested by wearing the arm bands so the Jewish members of the community couldn't be singled out.

PostPosted: 10/19/09 7:04 am • # 9 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
If the kids were on their game, they should ALL come in cross-dressed in protest. When the NAZI's occupied Denmark, they ordered all Jews to wear an arm band with the Star of David on it. The Danes protested by wearing the arm bands so the Jewish members of the community couldn't be singled out.

great response. kind of like the "im gay" sequence in "In and Out".

PostPosted: 10/19/09 12:18 pm • # 10 
Administrator

That would be a GREAT response, Sid ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 10/19/09 12:23 pm • # 11 

Sidartha, I have been meaning to tell you that I think this is a great quote....

PostPosted: 10/19/09 1:38 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

I wore a tuxedo for 2 years as the uniform of a resort hotel i waitressed at. I thought i looked cute in it. LOL

People get their knickers in a twist over the strangest things.

PostPosted: 10/19/09 2:56 pm • # 13 
Why don't they just have them all take photos in gender-neutral cap and gown regalia if it is for their senior picture and they want everyone dressed alike instead of wearing whatever they want? Honestly, I think if someone wants their entire high school class to forever remember them wearing jeans and a t-shirt, they should be allowed to do so. I think there are a few of those in my high school yearbook and 20 years later, nobody's world has come crashing down around them because of what they wore for senior pictures.

PostPosted: 10/20/09 2:04 am • # 14 
Administrator

green apple tree wrote:
I wore a tuxedo for 2 years as the uniform of a resort hotel i waitressed at. I thought i looked cute in it. LOL

People get their knickers in a twist over the strangest things.
There. Corrected your typo if you don't mind. Image

People get their knickers in a twist over the strangest things thongs.

PostPosted: 10/21/09 1:18 am • # 15 
[quote="the monster"]

Sidartha, I have been meaning to tell you that I think this is a great quote....

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply