It is currently 05/11/24 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: 10/19/09 9:16 am • # 1 
I think I need to stop reading what is going on in our world ; isn't this so sad to put it lightly that this is occurring ?

Two South Carolina County Republican Party chairmen stepped up to rebut criticism of Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) in a newspaper editorial Sunday. But their defense of the senator might be overshadowed by their use of an anti-Semitic stereotype to praise him.

After a Democratic state senator wrote in The State that DeMint didn't bring enough money back home, Bamberg County GOP Chairman Edwin Merwin and Orangeburg County GOP Chairman James Ulmer responded that he was just looking after the nation's pennies -- like a Jew would. < http://thetandd.com/articles/2009/10/18/opinion/doc4ad90f14cb86e810566587.txt >

"There is a saying that the Jews who are wealthy got that way not by watching dollars, but instead by taking care of the pennies and the dollars taking care of themselves," Ulmer and Merwin wrote in a joint letter published by The Times and Democrat. "By not using earmarks to fund projects for South Carolina and instead using actual bills, DeMint is watching our nation's pennies and trying to preserve our country's wealth and our economy's viability to give all an opportunity to succeed."

"It's people like Ulmer and Merwin that make many folks fear for the future of the once Grand Ole Party," wrote the conservative Palmetto Scoop.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/19/gopers-demint-like-a-jew_n_326295.html

PostPosted: 10/20/09 2:54 am • # 2 
Administrator

I see this, the comment AND the apology, as an excellent example of the latent bigotry that simmers just below the surface for so many ~ as a Jewish woman, I did not take particular offense at the original remark ~ admittedly, I am likely not the best judge since I'm so nonobservant ~ but I do reject and resent stereotyping generally ~ I thought the original comment here was stupid, but there is a lesson in Jewish folklore that by paying attention to the "small things", the "big things" take care of themselves ~ what I definitely DO take offense at is the huge number of bigoted and flatly stupid remarks being made that do require apology ~ those remarks have skyrocketed ~ some seem stuck in a self-serving realm of "say whatever you want, no matter how nasty or pejorative or hateful or hurtful ~ just be prepared to apologize, and all will be forgiven and forgotten" ~ Image ~ Sooz

October 20, 2009
Posted: October 20th, 2009 10:29 AM ET

From CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

(CNN)
- After his words attracted national attention and drew condemnation from a Jewish state senator, a South Carolina Republican official is now apologizing for co-writing a newspaper op-ed that described Jews as penny-pinchers.

James Ulmer, chairman of the Orangeburg County GOP, said he made a "great error" in the op-ed, which he penned along with Bamberg County GOP chairman Edwin Merwin.

The piece, which ran Sunday in the Orangeburg Times & Democrat, was meant to defend South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint's position against congressional earmarks.

"There is a saying that the Jews who are wealthy got that way not by watching dollars, but instead by taking care of the pennies and the dollars taking care of themselves," the piece read. "By not using earmarks to fund projects for South Carolina and instead using actual bills, DeMint is watching our nation's pennies and trying to preserve our country's wealth and our economy's viability to give all an opportunity to succeed."

State senator Joel Lourie, a Democrat and one of South Carolina's two Jewish lawmakers, issued a statement on Monday rebuking the two Republicans, calling them "individuals who unapologetically espouse racist and stereotypical attitudes."

He also called on DeMint and South Carolina GOP chairwoman Karen Floyd to denounce the comments.

Floyd did so on Tuesday, calling the observation "an offensive and inappropriate comment" while also accusing critics of using the controversy for political gain. Aides to DeMint have not responded to requests for comment.

The Republican Jewish Coalition also blasted the op-ed. RJC Executive Director Matthew Brooks said in a statement that Ulmer and Merwin "have done a tremendous disservice to their party."

Ulmer e-mailed his apology to reporters late Monday. He said he "quoted a statement which I have heard many times in my life, truly in admiration for a method of bettering one's lot in life."

"I meant absolutely nothing derogatory by the reference to a great and honorable people," he said in the e-mail. "I hope that anyone and all who were offended by my comment will accept my humble apology."

UPDATE: Merwin added his apology on Tuesday morning.

"At this time I wish to deeply apologize for any material included in that letter that would be considered antisemitic in any way," he wrote in an e-mail to reporters and other Republican officials. "I have always abhored in the past, and shall continue to do so in the future, anti-semitism in any form whatsoever. I concur fully with the apology offered by my co-author, Jim Ulmer, and likewise beg that any and all who were offended will accept my deep felt apology."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Last edited by sooz06 on 10/20/09 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10/20/09 6:51 am • # 3 
and speaking of the bigotry , today pat buchanan wrote about 'traditional americans ' losing the country . was her referring to native americans ? and if not did he never learn that it was not just white men that fought in our wars ? i think we all know the answers to that. so very discouraging to me.

PostPosted: 10/20/09 8:31 am • # 4 
Pat Buchanan called Canada "Soviet Kanuckistan" once. I would normally be insulted but I actually like it because if a bigot like Buchanan hates my country, we must be doing a few things right.

PostPosted: 10/20/09 9:14 am • # 5 
Administrator

You got that right, Sid.
As to the OP and their subsequent "apology" methinks they simply wrote without first getting their brains in gear.

PostPosted: 10/23/09 11:49 am • # 6 
Sooz , I am sorry to say that I just read your comments. I think when you say you are not the best judge ...... then I think I definitely am not the best judge either. I guess in these parts what starts out being said per se as pertains to this example and comments are so often a part of a continued expression of somehow gentiles get screwed in some way or the other in terms of money and advancement. That seems to get implied if not mentioned outright though concentrated in some parts of the state.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply