It is currently 05/12/24 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
PostPosted: 10/22/09 5:02 am • # 1 
Administrator

Cheney is an arrogant buffoon ~ for someone too cowardly to serve himself [proven via 5 deferments], he sure does love sending other people off to war ~ the "Bush administration's strategy" on everything is exactly why the Rs are OUT of power ~ and "America's armed forces are in danger" BECAUSE of that "Bush administration strategy" ~ Obama is not "dithering" on anything ~ he is studying the change in conditions and options available before making a decision ~ and I am still hopeful he will deny the request for more troops ~ Sooz

By Amanda Terkel at 12:10 pm

Cheney: Obama Should Stop 'Dithering' On Afghanistan And Just Copy The Bush Administration's Strategy

Yesterday, Vice President Cheney spoke at the Center for Security Policy, run by former Reagan official and prominent neoconservative Frank Gaffney. Cheney used the opportunity to aggressively attack President Obama, accusing him of "giving in to the angry left" and "dithering while America's armed forces are in danger." He added that because Obama "seems afraid to make a decision" on whether to add more troops to Afghanistan, he should just emulate the Bush administration's strategy since it was so successful:

Quote:

We should all be concerned as well with the direction of policy on Afghanistan. For quite a while, the cause of our military in that country went pretty much unquestioned, even on the left. The effort was routinely praised by way of contrast to Iraq, which many wrote off as a failure until the surge proved them wrong. Now suddenly - and despite our success in Iraq - we're hearing a drumbeat of defeatism over Afghanistan. These criticisms carry the same air of hopelessness, they offer the same short-sighted arguments for walking away, and they should be summarily rejected for the same reasons of national security.

Watch the speech here:

With his criticisms, Cheney joins former White House adviser Karl Rove, who has been using his on-air and print outlets to blast Obama's Afghanistan policies and rewrite history of President Bush's legacy.

Many Americans - both on the left and commanders in the military - were critical of the Bush administration's policies in Afghanistan. As early as 2005, the Center for American Progress called for a strategic redeployment from Iraq, urging more troops for Afghanistan where greater resources were "urgently needed to beat back the resurging Taliban forces and to maintain security throughout the country." Additionally, in 2008, Gen. David D. McKiernan, then the top U.S. commander in Kabul, specifically asked the Bush administration for more troops for Afghanistan, but was rebuffed:

Quote:

"There was a saying when I got there: If you're in Iraq and you need something, you ask for it," McKiernan said in his first interview since being fired. "If you're in Afghanistan and you need it, you figure out how to do without it." By late last summer, he decided to tell George W. Bush's White House what he knew it did not want to hear: He needed 30,000 more troops. He wanted to send some to the country's east to bolster other U.S. forces, and some to the south to assist overwhelmed British and Canadian units in Helmand and Kandahar provinces.

The Bush administration opted not to act on McKiernan's request and instead set out to persuade NATO allies to contribute more troops.

Cheney also claimed, "Make no mistake, signals of indecision out of Washington hurt our allies and embolden our adversaries. Waffling, while our troops on the ground face an emboldened enemy, endangers them and hurts our cause." What endangered U.S. troops in Afghanistan was Bush and Cheney's shift of focus to the Iraq war. Military officials have said that the Taliban was pretty much defeated in 2002, but regrouped when the Bush administration decided invade Iraq.

http://thinkprogress.org

PostPosted: 10/22/09 5:05 am • # 2 
Editorialist

actually, the irony of this remark is that Bush didn't follow Cheney's advice in Afghanistan either. so, what exactly is he saying?

PostPosted: 10/22/09 5:18 am • # 3 
I don't suppose his latest rant is related to the fact that his predetermined prior to 9/11 invasion into Iraq dropped the ball on the stated mission at the time that is an occupation of Afghanistan after year upon year there. I wonder what percentage of people in the nation place value on what DC ( or DV ) has to say. And what success in Iraq is he referring to ? The fact that no WMD were found ? The fact that he and his cohorts didn't care about what the inspection group had to say on the topic thereby he was able to push through his agenda and is among the group that has the deaths of all those civilians and the military etc on his head ? Is that the success he prides ? Where was Darth when Rove was blaming our allies ? Silent of course ; absolutely silent. It doesn't get more offensive than that. He has the wrong dither.

I read this op ed in the washington post the other day and was wondering if anyone had a thought about the opinion presented.

Obama's Afghan Squeeze Play

By Jim Hoagland
Sunday, October 18, 2009

Is President Obama dithering on Afghanistan, as critics claim? Or do loyalists praising his deliberate pace have it right? Both camps rush past the obvious: The president is almost certainly applying a calculated, cold-blooded squeeze on his partners in the Afghan endeavor to get what he needs for a successful policy.

Obama is orchestrating a drawn-out review that is actually a policy instrument itself. That reality is (happily for Obama) obscured by the miasma of leaks, counter-leaks and guesswork that has settled over official Washington. But three things are absolutely clear:

First, Hamid Karzai cannot be accepted as the legitimate ruler of Afghanistan on the basis of August's election. He should either accept an immediate runoff ballot or agree to become Afghanistan's ceremonial president and appoint a national unity government to run the country. Only then can the United States and its allies move forward to significantly expand military and civilian aid to Kabul.

Second, NATO's European members must greatly increase their involvement (and spending) in civilian reconstruction projects and provide some more manpower. Little noticed in Washington's overheated debate about troop numbers, a new U.S.-European bargain on counterinsurgency is an essential feature of Gen. Stanley McChrystal's bestseller of a secret report to the president.

Third, the Obama administration must not slip back into letting Pakistan present itself as an aggrieved party whose delicate national sensibilities are unjustly offended by suggestions that its army and intelligence services might be ripping off U.S. aid and covertly encouraging terrorism.

They are doing just that. And they must continue to be told directly that Washington is keeping score. Congress gently did that in passing a $7.5 billion, five-year aid bill that requires assurances that the money will not be stolen -- provoking nationalist outcries in Islamabad.

This third task will be easier if Defense Secretary Robert Gates and others cease publicly moaning about how "we turned our backs" on Pakistan in 1989. Pakistan's refusal to heed U.S. warnings about developing nuclear weapons forced the Bush 41 administration -- of which Gates was a senior official -- to halt aid to a country determined to become a proliferation rogue.

Pakistan spread nuclear technology to Iran and North Korea and continued its support for Taliban and al-Qaeda networks for its own perverted reasons of national security and/or greed -- not out of hurt pride.

Yes, Pakistan is the problem from hell and essential to the fight for Afghanistan. But the record of the Bush 43 and Obama administrations shows that only when the United States applies pressure -- instead of apologizing to Islamabad for the past or trying to play three-dimensional strategic chess with its rulers -- does Pakistan provide significant support for U.S. goals.

Afghanistan's Karzai has turned into a similar problem for Team Obama. He successfully resisted Washington's efforts to get him to resign or hold fair and free elections in August. Allegations of widespread fraud call into question Karzai's ability to work with the administration, which now prefers to watch him twist in the wind rather than frontally assault him. Obama gave subtle but clear backing for U.N. coordinator Kai Eide on the fraud issue by instructing the U.S. ambassador to appear with Eide at a Kabul news conference.

But this leaves only one weapon to squeeze Karzai into sharing power with more honest, competent Afghans: the threat of U.S. withdrawal. Obama allows that idea or something close to it to linger in the air as the review ostentatiously grinds on, perhaps to get Karzai's attention. But there is a harsh reality behind the implicit threat that both Washington and Kabul must understand: Obama could be driven to dramatically scale down U.S. support if Karzai continues to be a major obstacle to change. Karzai can push Afghanistan over the brink if he does not work with Obama.

A similar warning is directed at European nations that have stinted on combat support while emphasizing their largely theoretical commitment to reconstruction and development. McChrystal believes that NATO must become more active and deeply involved in reconstruction efforts if the United States adds tens of thousands of troops for military tasks. New European troops, even if the numbers are small, also are needed.

Afghanistan is at the brink, as Obama's review prudently recognizes. Only a focused effort by Washington and Kabul -- and other capitals -- can pull it back. The president is right to give that message time to sink in everywhere, see what results it produces and then act.

http://www.washingtonpost.../AR2009101602505_pf.html

PostPosted: 10/22/09 5:20 am • # 4 
btw macro ... do you have any idea when the battery for his stone heart is to give out ?

PostPosted: 10/22/09 5:50 am • # 5 
Editorialist

susanneinohio wrote:
btw macro ... do you have any idea when the battery for his stone heart is to give out ?

it doesn't matter. he is going to get a brain transplant into a clone.

PostPosted: 10/22/09 7:20 am • # 6 
Administrator

I very much prefer ridicule to anger ~ mainly because ridicule just might enrage Darth ~ Image�~ Sooz

By Amanda Terkel at 3:05 pm

Gibbs Responds to Cheney: He 'Seems To Have Forgotten His Role In The Last Seven Years Of Afghanistan' »

Last night in a speech to the Center for Security Policy, Vice President Cheney attacked President Obama for "dithering" on whether to add more troops to Afghanistan. "[T]he success of our mission in Afghanistan is not only essential, it is entirely achievable with enough troops and enough political courage," said Cheney.

As ThinkProgress has pointed out, in 2008, the Bush administration rejected the request for 30,000 more troops from Gen. David D. McKiernan, then the top U.S. commander in Kabul. "There was a saying when I got there: If you're in Iraq and you need something, you ask for it," McKiernan said in an interview after he was fired. "If you're in Afghanistan and you need it, you figure out how to do without it."

In today's White House press briefing, Gibbs referenced McKiernan's troop request to hit back on the emptiness of Cheney's accusations:

Quote:

GARRETT: So that was a specific reference to McKiernan's request that said that specific troop request was not taken seriously.

GIBBS: It wasn't - Whether it was taken seriously or not, it wasn't filled. I assume since it wasn't filled, it was not taken seriously. Maybe they filled unserious ones and didn't fill serious ones. That's a fabulous question for the Vice President, who seems to have forgotten his role in the last seven years of Afghanistan.

When Fox News reporter Major Garrett then asked whether it was "proof of unseriousness to not necessarily agree with a request for troops submitted by a commander in the field," Gibbs replied:

Quote:

GIBBS: No. I'm simply saying, I think it's interesting what the Vice President is suggesting the President isn't acting on is what the previous administration didn't act on, right? [...]

Help me understand the rationale how one goes from half as many troops as are now in Afghanistan under his watch, to 68,000, to now wanting an additional 40 [thousand], when you didn't want the additional troops that President Obama approved. I mean, how do you go from 68-plus, when you didn't want 34-plus? How - Do you - It defies some modicum of logic to get "I didn't want to go from 35,000 to 65,000, but I want to go from 65,000 to 100,000." Fuzzy math.

Watch it:

Transcript:

Quote:

GARRETT: Robert, is your point about the Bush-Cheney approach to Afghanistan that on the request for troops and the overall lack of focus, you would suggest there was a dereliction of duty to do with Afghanistan?

GIBBS: I'm just saying that the focus was not on Afghanistan.

GARRETT: To the detriment of our efforts there?

GIBBS: I don't think it helped.

GARRETT: And when you said the nation has seen the consequences when a president doesn't take that responsibility seriously, is that an allegation that you're laying at the feet of President Bush: that he did not take troop deployment decisions seriously?

GIBBS: I don't know what President Bush has said about this recently; I know what Vice President Cheney about this last night, and I was referring to that.

GARRETT: Which war?

GIBBS: Which -

GARRETT: Which troop effort are you talking about wasn't taken seriously?

GIBBS: I think you were asking about my response on Afghanistan. Yeah.

GARRETT: So that was a specific reference to McKiernan's request that said that specific troop request was not taken seriously.

GIBBS: It wasn't - Whether it was taken seriously or not, it wasn't filled. I assume since it wasn't filled, it was not taken seriously. Maybe they filled unserious ones and didn't fill serious ones. That's a fabulous question for the Vice President, who seems to have forgotten his role in the last seven years of Afghanistan.

GARRETT: Is proof of unseriousness to not necessarily agree with a request for troops submitted by a commander in the field?

GIBBS: No. I'm simply saying, I think it's interesting what the Vice President is suggesting the President isn't acting on is what the previous administration didn't act on, right? There were half as many troops in Afghanistan under - (CROSSTALK)

Help me understand the rationale how one goes from half as many troops as are now in Afghanistan under his watch, to 68,000, to now wanting an additional 40 [thousand], when you didn't want the additional troops that President Obama approved. I mean, how do you go from 68-plus, when you didn't want 34-plus? How - Do you - It defies some modicum of logic to get "I didn't want to go from 35,000 to 65,000, but I want to go from 65,000 to 100,000." Fuzzy math.

http://thinkprogress.org

PostPosted: 10/22/09 7:26 am • # 7 
Editorialist

the man has no mind for matters military. i have heard it countless times, from people with more experience than Darth will EVER have in this world.

PostPosted: 10/22/09 8:31 am • # 8 
macroscopic wrote:
susanneinohio wrote:

it doesn't matter. he is going to get a brain transplant into a clone.
And I shall call her Mini-me!

PostPosted: 10/22/09 11:38 am • # 9 
Administrator

LMAO, FF ~ too funny because it is SO true ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 10/22/09 11:52 am • # 10 
Administrator

VERY strong words ~ that some of believe are very well deserved ~ Sooz

Jason Linkins
HuffPost Reporting

Retired General Slams Cheney As "Incompetent War Fighter"

PostPosted: 10/22/09 5:08 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

wow. i could not possibly have said it better than General Eaton did. and without any of his shiny bits.

PostPosted: 10/23/09 12:33 pm • # 12 
FF ... #7 ... ROFL !

After concurring with the Ret General's comments above ... I found this a funny addition by Joan Walsh :

"I think Cheney should take a break from speechifying, maybe spend more time at home with his family, frightening his grandchildren."

I also found this funny and quite true as a matter of fact : " Mr Secret Bunker calls Obama ' afraid ' . Wingnuts clap , world yawns "

PostPosted: 10/25/09 1:34 am • # 13 
He's more in evidence out-of-office than he was when in-office.
The man who wrote the chickenhawk best practice manual.

PostPosted: 10/25/09 5:33 am • # 14 
Editorialist

FeatheredFish wrote:
He's more in evidence out-of-office than he was when in-office.
The man who wrote the chickenhawk best practice manual.

you can say that again. he was a FIXTURE for this first 90 days out. he has been relatively quiet since the enhanced techniques memo came out.

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply