It is currently 05/11/24 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: 10/23/09 7:47 am • # 1 
Administrator

I'm debating whether this is intentionally sneaky or UNintentionally dumb ~ Image ~ Sooz

By Zaid Jilani at 3:20 pm

Georgia Republicans Send Political Mailer Disguised As 'Official' Census Survey

11 Alive, a local Georgia news station, reports today that the Georgia Republican Party is sending out a political mailer disguised to look like an official U.S. Census survey. The news station learned of the scam when a voter called the station saying she was "upset" that Georgia Republicans would send out such a mailer, given that many Georgians, especially senior citizens, will not realize that it's a political ploy and not an actual Census survey:

Quote:

"I got real upset 'cause I think a lot of people would just automatically fill it out," [Anne Wilson of Smyrna] told us in a Thursday TV interview, "It's their civic duty; by law they have to fill out the census. Turns out I and many others across the country have received the same survey letter which is titled the "2009 Congressional District Census".

The outside of the envelope is stamped "Do Not Destroy, Official Document". The survey lists a specific congressional district and includes an individual "Census Tracking Code", with the request, "Please Respond by: November 16, 2009″. [...]

"I could see a lot of my neighbors that are older who would get something like this in the mail and fill it out," she adds, "all the information, every little section, and send in money."

The Georgia GOP also sent the mailer to the 8th Congressional District Chair for the Democratic Party of Georgia, who promptly snapped a picture, which his wife placed on her blog:

She writes, "What a hoot! I wonder where the RNC is getting their lists these days, but do appreciate them wasting their donor's money this way."

http://thinkprogress.org

PostPosted: 10/23/09 8:59 am • # 2 
Do you think they could be charged with mail fraud if they are intentionally misrepresenting the mailing as something other than the propoganda that it is? I wonder if it's limited to one district, or if they've sent them other places too. If I get one, I think I'll gladly use their postage-paid envelope to send them a copy of a complaint letter to the postal inspector.

PostPosted: 10/23/09 10:45 am • # 3 
Administrator

Calluna wrote:
Do you think they could be charged with mail fraud if they are intentionally misrepresenting the mailing as something other than the propoganda that it is? I wonder if it's limited to one district, or if they've sent them other places too. If I get one, I think I'll gladly use their postage-paid envelope to send them a copy of a complaint letter to the postal inspector.
Now there's a capital idea. I wonder how you could get others to do exactly that?

PostPosted: 10/23/09 10:47 am • # 4 
The mailer doesn't claim to be an official document of the US Census. It's not mail fraud.

Nor it it a well-thought-out direct mail program.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply