It is currently 05/11/24 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Any KFC fans?
PostPosted: 10/25/09 5:45 am • # 1 
Administrator

If so, tomorrow is the day of KFC's new give-away ~ no coupon required ~ anyone who walks into a KFC tomorrow will get one piece of grilled chicken, free ~ I remember the last time KFC tried this, they were overwhelmed with the demand ~ I've tried the grilled chicken ~ it's not bad ~ nor is it something that will ever rise to the level of "craving" for me [like Mr. Frosty ~ Image] ~ all things considered, if it brings people back into the stores it's worth the cost ~ Sooz

KFC to offer free chicken -- again

This time, the company promises there won't be any snafus.

Posted by Elizabeth Strott on Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:40 PM

KFC is trying again.

The fast-food company will offer a free piece of its grilled chicken to all U.S. customers on Monday, according to The Associated Press. It will be the third time in six months that the chain has offered a giveaway to promote its new menu item, Kentucky Grilled Chicken.

The grilled chicken actually debuted across the country last spring, when KFC offered the deal with the help of Oprah Winfrey. But Oprah's star power was more than KFC could handle. So many people downloaded the coupon from Oprah's Web site that KFC was overwhelmed. Some stores even ran out of the grilled chicken.

Things will be different this time, KFC president Roger Eaton told the AP. "We gear the shifts up so we make sure we've got the staffing, we make sure we've got the chicken," he said.

Monday's deal is for one day only, the same as KFC's first promotion back in April, when it gave away more than 4 million pieces of grilled chicken.

KFC is banking on the idea that the coupon will help bring customers in during these difficult economic times and then hook them to keep coming after trying the food.

Free food is seen as "a gesture of hospitality," Aaron Allen, chief executive of restaurant marketing firm Quantified Marketing Group, told The Dallas Morning News in August. "It is actually a much better program than offering discounts," and it does get people to become loyal customers, Allen said.

Earlier this month, David Novak, CEO of KFC's parent, Yum Brands (YUM), said the grilled chicken gave the company a much-needed "shot in the arm." He said grilled chicken accounts for more than 30% of KFC's domestic sales.

Yum Brands, which also owns Pizza Hut and Taco Bell, posted third-quarter earnings of 70 cents per share, excluding items. That was much better than the expectations of 58 cents per share. Sales fell to $2.78 billion from $2.84 billion, and sales at stores open at least one year were down 3%. KFC's same-store sales were down 2% for the quarter.

Dr Pepper Snapple Group (DPS) had a similar promotion last year, when it offered a free Dr Pepper to every person in the U.S. when the rock band Guns N' Roses released its newest CD.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/In ... =1,1332021

PostPosted: 10/25/09 5:51 am • # 2 
I like the grilled chicken, I like original better but ...

I'll tell hubby and mother and see if they want to go!!!!

PostPosted: 10/25/09 11:17 am • # 3 
Administrator

Are you sure it's chicken?

PostPosted: 10/25/09 11:42 am • # 4 
If I'm going to KFC, it's not because I'm craving healthy grilled chicken I could make for myself at home, it's because I want that extra-crispy, deep-fried thigh and leg with side of mashed potatoes and gravy! [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/happy.gif[/img] That said, I usually only eat at KFC once a year, or less often...usually when I need to stop someplace for food while driving somewhere for the holidays.

PostPosted: 10/25/09 12:25 pm • # 5 
Yeah, I like the extra crispy too. With the potato wedges and biscuits. Wish I had some right now...

PostPosted: 10/25/09 6:58 pm • # 6 
Administrator

World's best chicken is at Chalet BBQ in Montreal, Canada.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply