It is currently 05/04/24 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Veterans Day 2009
PostPosted: 11/11/09 4:34 am • # 1 
Administrator

The thoughts I expressed on Memorial Day hold equally true on Veterans Day ~ I hope you'll join me in taking a few minutes on this Veterans Day 2009 to recognize and reflect on a debt we can never repay ~ to all past and current United States military personnel ~ the men and women who have made, and are making, great personal sacrifices for you and me to live, grow, and enjoy this glorious experiment we call "home" ~ their courage and dedication to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for all of us is our nation's greatest strength ~ to all who have served and are serving today, thank you from my heart ~ Image ~ Love, Sooz

PostPosted: 11/11/09 5:14 am • # 2 
Thank you all.
Every one is one too many.

PostPosted: 11/11/09 5:19 am • # 3 
Administrator

So very sadly true, FF ~ this might be an ignorant question, but does Europe have a dedicated Veterans Day?

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/11/09 5:41 am • # 4 
We do and it's today, sooz.

Armistice Day. The Eleventh Hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month commemorates the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front between the Allies and the German forces during WW1. A two minute silence is observed in most public places at 11am.

The poppy is the symbol used to represent those lost because the battlefields became covered in them when fighting ceased. Sadly, poppies thrive in aerated soil and the persistent shelling and mortars provided ideal growth conditions. The red of the poppy is also a poignant representation of the blood shed.

PostPosted: 11/11/09 6:08 am • # 5 
Administrator

I agree the "stories ... demand to be told" ~ my own dad rarely spoke of his WWII experiences ~ and when he did, it was always to relate a lighter, silly moment ~ we used to laugh over the pictures of my dad in a grass skirt in New Guinea ~ but those laughs and moments were very few and far between because the reality of his experiences had a much stronger hold on him ~ if we lose the "stories", we lose the reality ~ and yet the reality for some is simply overwhelming, even years later ~ Sooz

MARKING VETERANS DAY: President Obama visited Arlington National Cemetery Wednesday morning for a Veterans Day wreath-laying ceremony. He was accompanied by the first lady, Vice President Biden and second lady Jill Biden.

"There's no tribute, no commemoration, no praise that can truly match the magnitude of your service and your sacrifice," Obama said in remarks, calling Veterans Day a time for the country to reflect on the contributions of its troops. "Even as we gather here this morning, people are gathering all across America not only to express the thanks of a grateful nation, but to tell stories that demand to be told."

http://www.politico.com/politico44/

PostPosted: 11/11/09 10:42 am • # 6 
I went to visit my Dad's grave today in honor of the day ; he was a vet of two wars ( navy ) For WW2 he left for war at age 17. For Korea, he had to leave when one of his children was 3 weeks old. I can't even imagine how hard that was yet I know his story is not unique. It takes a very brave person to be in our military and be at war. Of course each vet has their own story and deserve to be honored in very meaningful ways.

PostPosted: 11/11/09 11:13 am • # 7 
Story of interest I think :Navajo Code Talkers Break Silence for Veterans Day @ http://news.yahoo.com/s/a...avajo_code_talkers/print

PostPosted: 11/11/09 11:56 am • # 8 
Administrator

susanneinohio wrote:
Story of interest I think :Navajo Code Talkers Break Silence for Veterans Day @ http://news.yahoo.com/s/a...avajo_code_talkers/print

I read this article before I left earlier today and bookmarked it to post later because I was running late ~ susanne beat me to it ~ which only proves that "great minds think alike" ~ I've heard mention of "Navajo Code Talkers" but never knew/understood the courage and importance of what they did ~ I encourage all to read the article ~

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply