It is currently 05/04/24 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 24 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/11/09 2:05 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Dobbs has gotten more extreme in the last couple of years, so much so that there have been threats of boycotts, etc ~ but CNN always backed Dobbs ~ at least publicly ~ so I'm thinking there's MUCH more to this story ~ my guess: CNN tried to rein Dobbs in, Dobbs refused, CNN said "bye bye" ~ I can't imagine any other scenario for CNN to "release" him from his contract ~ Sooz

Longtime anchor Lou Dobbs leaving CNN

Wednesday show to be his last; future plans unclear

Breaking news

By Brian Stelter and Bill Carter
The New York Times
updated 24 minutes ago

Lou Dobbs, the longtime CNN anchor whose anti-immigration views have made him a TV lightning rod, said Wednesday that he is leaving the cable news channel effective immediately.

"Some leaders in the media, politics and business have been urging me to go beyond my role here at CNN and engage in constructive problem-solving," Mr. Dobbs said just after 7 p.m., suggesting that he would remain involved in the civic discourse, but perhaps not on television.

"I'm considering a number of options and directions," Mr. Dobbs added.

Wednesday's program will be his last on CNN, one of his employees said earlier in the evening.

Mr. Dobbs' contract was not set to expire until the end of 2011. He told viewers that CNN had agreed to release him from his contract early.

Mr. Dobbs informed his staff members of his intentions in a meeting Wednesday afternoon, catching some of the staffers off-guard.

Well known for his political positions, Mr. Dobbs is an outlier at CNN, which has sought to position itself as a middle ground of sorts in the fractious cable news arena. The CNN employees said Wednesday that they did not know if Mr. Dobbs was moving to another network.

Mr. Dobbs met with Roger Ailes, the chairman of the Fox News Channel, in September. At the time Mr. Dobbs was viewed as a potential hire for the Fox Business Network. But a Fox spokesperson said Wednesday, "We have not had any discussions with Lou Dobbs for Fox News or Fox Business."

Mr. Dobbs has been with CNN since its founding, save for a two-year stint at a Web site called Space.com. He has evolved over the years from a straight-laced business anchor to an outspoken commentator who rails against illegal immigration and taxpayer bailouts, among other subjects.

Lately, though, he has saved most of his opinions for his afternoon radio show, which made its debut in March 2008. It is on the radio show that he talked repeatedly about the conspiracy theory claims that President Obama is not a United States citizen. When he mentioned the citizenship issue on CNN over the summer, his bosses were forced to call it a "dead issue."

More recently, Mr. Dobbs' views on immigration provoked a protest by Hispanic groups. Members of the groups complained that CNN was allowing Mr. Dobbs "to spread lies and misinformation about us each night."

Last month the New Jersey State Police were called to Mr. Dobbs home to investigate a report of gunfire. Mr. Dobbs suggested that his family had been singled out because of his views on illegal immigration and border security.

This article, "Lou Dobbs to quit CNN," first appeared in The New York Times.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33868717/ns ... ?gt1=43001

PostPosted: 11/11/09 2:10 pm • # 2 
good riddance !

PostPosted: 11/11/09 2:21 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I agree, susanne ~ here's more ~ I'm wondering what he is ingesting to make the comment that HE will "be working diligently" to "break the gridlock of 'partisanship and ideology'" ~ Sooz

By Faiz Shakir at 6:42 pm

Lou Dobbs to announce departure from CNN tonight.

The New York Times reports that CNN anchor Lou Dobbs plans to announce on his show tonight that he is leaving the network, effective immediately. Dobbs has been the target of pro-immigration activists who launched two campaigns, Drop Dobbs and Basta Dobbs, aimed at pressuring CNN to "hold Mr. Dobbs to journalistic standards" or dump him altogether. Dobbs had become "a publicity nightmare" for CNN in recent months. His next stop could be the Fox Business network. Dobbs met with Fox chief Roger Ailes to discuss a potential position a couple of months ago.

Update: In his departure statement, Dobbs -- who previously mulled a run for governor of New Jersey -- seemed to hint at a possible run for elected office. "Some leaders in media, politics, and business have been urging me to go beyond the role here at CNN and to engage in constructive problem-solving," he said. "At this point, I am considering a number of options," he continued, proceeding to lay out his view of "the major issues of our time." Efforts need to be made to break the gridlock of "partisanship and ideology," Dobbs explained, adding, "I'll be working diligently to change that." "I thank you and may God bless you," he concluded. Watch it:

PostPosted: 11/11/09 2:52 pm • # 4 
Maybe this will be the start of a trend, and CNN, MSNBC and Fox will end up dropping the Olbermanns, Maddows, Hannitys, O'Reillys and their comrades-in-arms, and the cable "news" networks will actually start presenting news instead of commentary.

PostPosted: 11/11/09 3:14 pm • # 5 
I think this is the reason or at least part of it....

Last month the New Jersey State Police were called to Mr. Dobbs home to investigate a report of gunfire. Mr. Dobbs suggested that his family had been singled out because of his views on illegal immigration and border security.

I think there is a threat to his and his family's security.

PostPosted: 11/11/09 3:26 pm • # 6 
Good riddance.

PostPosted: 11/11/09 6:12 pm • # 7 
gopqed wrote:
Maybe this will be the start of a trend, and CNN, MSNBC and Fox will end up dropping the Olbermanns, Maddows, Hannitys, O'Reillys and their comrades-in-arms, and the cable "news" networks will actually start presenting news instead of commentary.

Now that's just crazy talk!

PostPosted: 11/11/09 6:25 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

he has made me want to vomit on more than one occasion with his jingoism and race baiting.

PostPosted: 11/11/09 9:21 pm • # 9 
kathyk1024 wrote:
I think this is the reason or at least part of it....

I think there is a threat to his and his family's security.
I read the police figure that was nothing more than a stray hunters bullet which hit the guttering of his house and was nowhere near his wife.
Strange that Dobbs also took around 3 weeks before reporting the incident.

Does anyone know where Cheney was at the time? Image

PostPosted: 11/12/09 2:25 am • # 10 
The road to hell is lined with smiling toothy grins. I for one, won't miss his "commentary".

PostPosted: 11/12/09 3:37 am • # 11 
Administrator

Probably got sacked. Time for the networks to take out the garbage, anyway.

PostPosted: 11/12/09 3:51 am • # 12 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:
Sometimes you are so reasonable I wish you were correct.

PostPosted: 11/12/09 11:21 am • # 13 
Administrator

LMAO ~ well, at least Dobbs' MEGA ego and MEGA paranoia are intact ~ and it sure didn't take CNN long to replace him ~ Image ~ Sooz

By Andrea Nill at 2:39 pm

Lou Dobbs Accuses ThinkProgress Of Conspiring With The White House To Carry Out 'Insidious And Sordid Attacks'

Last night, CNN anchor Lou Dobbs abruptly announced that he was leaving the network, effective immediately. TPM notes that in the weeks preceding his departure, Dobbs told GQ that the White House had been conspiring with a number of groups, including ThinkProgress, to wage "insidious and sordid attacks" against him with the goal of intimidating him and his former network:

Quote:

GQ: That was my next question. Have you heard from the administration?

LD: Of course I have. Sure. Without question. They are coordinating with a number of groups, including the Center for American Progress. The usual suspects. To carry out constant and absolutely insidious and sordid attacks on me. And the reason they're doing so, I'm the leading independent voice, and I am critical on their policies and intent, on unconditional amnesty, and leaving the borders and ports unsecure. They cannot, they're. . .

GQ: They're afraid of that point of view? They don't think their point of view will carry against…

LD: Apparently not. Otherwise why would you do such a thing? But I will not be intimidated, and I understand that. Therefore they're trying to intimidate my network and my owners.

For the record, neither ThinkProgress nor its parent organization, the Center for American Progress Action Fund, collaborated with the White House on our Dobbs coverage. However, Dobbs' paranoid remarks did come around the same time ThinkProgress began promoting the efforts of progressive activists who were leading the Drop Dobbs, Tell CNN Enough Is Enough, and Basta Dobbs campaigns aimed at pressuring CNN to hold Dobbs to journalistic standards.

ThinkProgress has always focused on media accountability. Throughout the years, Dobbs has repeatedly left himself wide-open to legitimate criticism, not baseless attacks. Some recent examples:

Quote:

- This summer, ThinkProgress reported that Dobbs had joined the birther movement and claimed President Obama might be an undocumented immigrant.

- The Wonk Room reported that the Lou Dobbs Show was promoting the myth that "people who break immigration laws" will be "rewarded" with free health care coverage.

- Shortly after we noted that Fox News' John Stossel and Glenn Beck openly criticized Dobbs' anti-immigrant "rants," Dobbs proceeded to rip Stossel as a "self-important ass" with his "own brand of myopic idiocy."

- ThinkProgress documented Dobbs slamming the "vile stupidity and ignorance" of "annoying" Geraldo Rivera, who had also denounced Dobbs' immigration tirades.

- Most recently, Dobbs claimed that "ethnocentric interest groups" and Rivera himself were to blame for gun shots fired at his house. ThinkProgress called up the New Jersey State Police and broke the news that the shooting more likely involved a hunter's stray bullet.

The efforts to get Dobbs off the air were not one-sided. Scott Stanzel, who used to work in President Bush's communications shop, applauded the decision today in a statement to Politico: "I will not miss Lou Dobbs, his show or his 'advocacy journalism.' In recent years, the blurring of the lines between opinion and news reporting has damaged the credibility of mainstream reporters and news organizations. It's refreshing to see CNN make a decision to fill the Dobbs slot with a respected and accomplished hard news journalist like John King. Maybe there is hope for the news business after all."

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/11/12/lou-dobbs-cap/

PostPosted: 11/13/09 6:30 am • # 14 
Administrator

Dobbs is another who has sunk to new depths ~ no need to hold a "tag day" for Dobbs ~ I'm sure he's laughing all the way to the bank ~ because I'm sure his contract "release" included a significant buy-out ~ I'm also sure he will find a new public platform promptly ~ Sooz

November 13, 2009

NYT says goodbye to Dobbs

The New York Times editorial board said goodbye to Lou Dobbs today, and ends up kicking the CNN host on the way out the door. The Times notes that "an old, odd, infuriating-to-many mismatch of sober network and strident host is over."

Quote:
Mr. Dobbs couldn't have phrased a more apt criticism of himself. He calls himself Mr. Independent, but he is far closer in style and method to the right-wing ranters who mold the facts to shape the argument on television and on AM radio, where Mr. Dobbs still has a show. Mr. Dobbs's CNN program has long been a nesting ground for untruths and conspiracy theories: fretting over a nonexistent, immigrant-borne leprosy epidemic; questioning President Obama's citizenship; issuing dark warnings about the "North American Union," a supposed plot to strangle United States sovereignty.

UPDATE: The Boston Globe's editorial page also weighed in, calling Dobbs' departure a "welcome event."

PostPosted: 11/13/09 6:44 am • # 15 
Editorialist

wow. i thought my being puzzled about Dobbs being at CNN was just me.

PostPosted: 11/13/09 1:12 pm • # 16 
gopqed wrote:
Gop

I am all for that and then we may get some good news for a change...

PostPosted: 11/13/09 1:43 pm • # 17 
ROFL ... Lou is to be on O'Reilly on monday. Remember O'Reilly giving a seal of approval on Lou Dobbs support for the birthers ? Peas in a pod together at last. How devine.

PostPosted: 11/13/09 6:07 pm • # 18 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:
Why do you put Maddow in that group, GOP? Olbermann I understand, but Maddow? Seriously?

PostPosted: 11/14/09 4:47 am • # 19 
Chaos333 wrote:
gopqed wrote:
Why do you put Maddow in that group, GOP? Olbermann I understand, but Maddow? Seriously?

Yes. Seriously. She engages in the same type of slanted commentary and "advocacy journalism" as the others. She's not reporting news any more than Hannity or O'Reilly or Olbermann.

PostPosted: 11/14/09 3:02 pm • # 20 
Here's the real reason Dobbs is leaving:

[url=http://]http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/24949[/url]

Lou Dobbs Returns to His Planet; 'My Work Here is Done'

by Andy Borowitz | November 14, 2009 - 12:10pm Share

NEW YORK (The Borowitz Report) - Controversial CNN host Lou Dobbs bade the people of Earth farewell today as he embarked on a long voyage back to his planet of origin.

Standing on a launching pad with his rocket ship at the ready, Mr. Dobbs addressed a crowd of dozens who came to wish him a safe trip and godspeed.

"People of Earth, farewell," he said. "My work here is done."

In his farewell speech, Mr. Dobbs acknowledged the irony of his being an alien but insisted that he had been on Earth legally.

PostPosted: 11/14/09 6:42 pm • # 21 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:
Chaos333 wrote:
gopqed wrote:

Yes. Seriously. She engages in the same type of slanted commentary and "advocacy journalism" as the others. She's not reporting news any more than Hannity or O'Reilly or Olbermann.
i watched one of her segments a few weeks ago. i can't remember the topic, but i was amazed at the amount of detail, and every bit that i investigated checked out. but that was only one segment.

PostPosted: 11/15/09 6:56 am • # 22 
Administrator

gopqed wrote:
Chaos333 wrote:
gopqed wrote:

I wouldn't lump Maddow in there either ~ yes, there is no question that she is a liberal ~ but she is one of the very few commentators [maybe the ONLY commentator amongst those named] who always does her homework and always works from a fact base ~ I may not always agree with her interpretive "take", but I do trust her facts ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/16/09 5:36 am • # 23 
Administrator

And it was well worth every single penny in that $8,000,000 ~ Sooz

By Amanda Terkel at 10:44 am

PostPosted: 11/17/09 4:08 am • # 24 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:
Chaos333 wrote:
gopqed wrote:

How many of her shows have you watched, GOP?

IMO- unlike the others you mentioned, Maddow does not attempt to portray her opinions as facts. Like Sooz, I don't always agree with her opinions, but she leaves no doubt as to where the line is drawn.

Page 1 of 1   [ 24 posts ] New Topic Add Reply