It is currently 04/28/24 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Seeing ads in yuku?
PostPosted: 11/14/09 7:23 am • # 1 
Administrator

I've been following the "chat problem" updates in the yuku Bug Forum and General Help and a new problem is becoming a BIG topic in both those forums ~ it seems that some of yuku's newest [or updated] advertisers are now using video ads, and many are complaining that those ads [which I believe run automatically] are hanging up their computers ~ I am happy to promise that you will NEVER see ads here in VoC ~ we are a "gold community" and will remain that way ~ but if you are a member of, or check out, groups that are not gold communities, you will see ads ~ there is a "fix" if you find the ads really annoying ~ you can become a yuku "supporter", costs $1/month or $12/year, and you will be saved from ads across the entire yuku platform ~ I also understand FireFox's AdBlock works, too ~

End of my public service announcement for the day ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/14/09 7:35 am • # 2 
What are these "ads" of which you speak?

PostPosted: 11/14/09 7:40 am • # 3 
Administrator

LOL ~ I don't see them because VoC's "gold status" covers me as "owner" ~ if you're not seeing the ads, I'm betting it's because you use FireFox's AdBlock ~ but the complaints are rapidly growing in the Bug and General Help Forums ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/14/09 8:25 am • # 4 
Administrator

I don't get any - ads, that is. Maybe I'm too abnoxious.

PostPosted: 11/14/09 8:51 am • # 5 
I have AdBlock Plus but I still got ads in one of my groups. I had to manually block them. Page loading on Yuku seems to be running slow.

PostPosted: 11/14/09 8:59 am • # 6 
Administrator

oskar, several people in CEII are complaining too ~

pic, are you experiencing slow page loads here in VoC? ~ I'm not, but I'm very interested in if others are ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/14/09 9:22 am • # 7 
I started the thread in CEII because it is the only group I belong to on yuku that has ads. I received a supporter gift that enabled me to no longer see the ads there. If it was someone in here that took care of that, thank you.

I don't know that much about yuku other than going to the groups I belong too, then read and post. So, if it was some on in here that did this for me, thanks again.

PostPosted: 11/14/09 1:24 pm • # 8 
I have seen those video ads on other sites (which means AdBlock is not blocking them...grrrrrrr!). They are VERY annoying, do slow page loading, and take up space INSIDE the threads (because they appear inside the reply boxes, not above or below or between somewhere). They are annoying enough that I will soon stop visiting any sites with them (because I'm not going to pay to not see them, since it seems like an extortion attempt on the part of Yuku to put in such horrifically annoying ads and then tell you the only way to avoid them is to pay them to get rid of them). I never minded the quiet ads that just sat at the top or sides of a page, and figured if it helped a site get revenue, that was fair. It's only when they started blinking and talking and popping up and following you as you scrolled that I headed for Firefox and AdBlock Plus. To me, that's not a good way to obtain more ad revenue or attract more visitors, but does the opposite of driving people away or persuading them to use features that block ads entirely.

Sooz, I appreciate that you are contributing to ensure this site remains ad free, but I think it's unfortunate that sites like Yuku are allowing such obnoxious ads that people think it is necessary to avoid them. I only pay to contribute to one internet site, and it's one of the few I've seen so many members contributing on. While one of the "perks" of being a paid contributor is to have ad-free access to the site, that site only uses non-intrusive google text ads, so it's not really THE motivating factor to contribute. To me, the reason I contribute to a site is because I think the content is sufficiently valuable and unique in the internet world that I want to support the sustenance of that site on its merits, not just to avoid something I dislike about it. If I dislike something that much, I leave the site.

PostPosted: 11/14/09 2:56 pm • # 9 
sooz08 wrote:
oskar, several people in CEII are complaining too ~

pic, are you experiencing slow page loads here in VoC? ~ I'm not, but I'm very interested in if others are ~

Sooz
Yes, but not so much here. I think the problem in my other groups is because they have so much decoration of their pages - all the elements seem to take forever to load.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply