It is currently 05/23/24 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/16/09 4:05 am • # 1 
Administrator

This is an email from AlterNet this morning ~ I am signing the petition ~ Sooz

Did these Democrats forget what happens when women are denied access to abortion?

We're furious.

In a backroom deal brokered to get the votes necessary to pass the House health care bill, one amendment was allowed an up-or-down vote on the floor. The Stupak amendment -- which passed on a vote of 240 to 194 -- is the most serious assault on abortion rights in a generation.

What's more, according to FiveThirtyEight.com, 20 of the 64 Democrats who joined Republicans to pass the measure are nominally pro-choice.

Sign the petition, send a coat hanger.

Why did pro-choice Democrats vote to approve the Stupak amendment? We're telling these 20 Democrats -- all men -- to reconsider their vote and urge Congressional leadership to do everything they can to ensure the health care bill that comes out of committee does not take us back to an era of coat hangers and back alley abortions.

Sign our petition and we'll send a coat hanger to the 20 formerly pro-choice Democrats who voted to take away women's rights.

If the Stupak amendment is allowed to stand, it would ban private insurers who participate in the insurance exchange created by the health care bill from covering abortion as a part of women's reproductive health care. Tens of millions of women would be affected.

These 20 formerly pro-choice Democrats need to hear that it is NOT ok to throw women under the bus when it comes to passing health care.

Back in 1992, Working Assets helped its members send coat hangers to Congress. Now, 17 years later, it's time to do it again.

Please sign the petition, send a coat hanger, and tell your friends about CREDO's SendACoatHanger.com campaign.

Sincerely,
Laura Scher, CEO of CREDO Mobile
Michael Kieschnick, President of CREDO Mobile
Becky Bond, Political Director of CREDO Action

PostPosted: 11/16/09 4:54 am • # 2 
Editorialist

i noticed something curious about the gender of those that need the hanger.

PostPosted: 11/16/09 5:01 am • # 3 
Editorialist

I had not seen this petition before so thanks for posting it. I signed it.

PostPosted: 11/16/09 5:06 am • # 4 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:
i noticed something curious about the gender of those that need the hanger.
What on earth do you mean?Image

Thanks, sooz- signed.

PostPosted: 11/16/09 5:30 am • # 5 
Administrator

Hopefully, everyone will sign ~ it is a brutal, but exceptionally important, "message" ~ and I think it is exceptionally important for men to sign the petition as well ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/16/09 7:39 am • # 6 
Administrator

I just got an update from CREDO ~ they are over 78,000 signatures ~ and they would very much like to send over 100,000 coat hangers this week~ please feel free to c/p or email the op to others ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/16/09 8:06 am • # 7 
Signed it!

I was just wondering - how can men get those coat hangers up in - nevermind...

PostPosted: 11/16/09 8:19 am • # 8 
Editorialist

glitterypickles539 wrote:
Signed it!

I was just wondering - how can men get those coat hangers up in - nevermind...

HAHAHAHAHA! see- now there is what i was aiming at. Image

PostPosted: 11/16/09 9:31 am • # 9 
I can't sign it... I'm Kanuckistani.

PostPosted: 11/16/09 11:13 am • # 10 
Editorialist

sid--use your hotmail account if you have one.

ok, i just tried that. it didn't work. I can't sign either.Image

Last edited by Anonymous on 11/16/09 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11/16/09 12:52 pm • # 11 
Apparently, it's none of our business.

PostPosted: 11/16/09 7:58 pm • # 12 
Signed.

GP, I can suggest a place for them to stick the coat hangers.

PostPosted: 11/17/09 5:16 am • # 13 
Editorialist

signed it.

PostPosted: 11/17/09 9:02 am • # 14 
Editorialist

To me, it's just utterly illogical to think that someone who couldn't afford health insurance in the first place is also financially secure enough to reproduce and take on all the possible financial/emotional/physical complications of having and raising a child to adulthood.

But maybe coat hangers is what they want, a suitable "punishment" for choosing to terminate. Frankly, I think you could pile up the bodies of women who die in back alley abortions on their doorsteps, and some would be thrilled. Just as some celebrate the murders of abortion providers.

So I guess we can all look forward to a population explosion among the poor and working poor in the middle of an economic crisis. That's smart.Image

The "pro-life" notion that if somehow they can just make abortion illegal by the stroke of a pen abortions will go away....is pretty childish. "If she can't get a legal abortion, she'll have the baby and all is well. Mission Accomplished!" is such stupidity.

A while back, on another board, I posted something along the lines of "OK-poof! Abortion is illegal, now what?". Mostly questions, like: What should the punishments for violating that law be? Will we hold women down and force GYN exams on them to "prove" a termination? Will we arest those women? Fine them? Jail them? If a single mother is proven to have had an abortion and we jail her, who takes care of any other children she might have? And so on and so forth...it took me over a day to compose, and nearly an hour to type out.

I got a few responses, mostly along the lines of nastiness and name calling from the usual suspects, I was accused of "playing the 'what if?' game", but not much in the way of thoughtful answers. I really wonder sometimes if the pro-lfe crowd can think beyond the moment of birth. They sure don't seem to.

Every American without health insurance or adequate, affordable access to health care was, once, an American Embryo.

PostPosted: 11/17/09 11:54 am • # 15 
Administrator

I again preface my comments by saying I am anti-abortion and I am strongly anti-abortion as a form of birth control ~ but I am at least equally strongly pro choice ~ Chaos, I agree that thinking abortion will ever go away if Roe is overturned or if there are enough "locks" via legislation is stupid in the extreme ~ but I don't limit the problem to poor and working poor women only ~ I don't really envision "a population explosion among the poor and working poor" because frequently the poor are deeply religious ~ BUT there could be "a population explosion" if the Stupak amendment does in fact become part of the health care reform law because women who currently have abortion services coverage are at real risk of losing that coverage ~

I deeply resent anyone forcing their own beliefs on me ~ or on others ~ the "pro lifers" have every right to never use abortion services ~ that is THEIR choice ~ and I don't believe for a nanosecond that 100% of "pro lifers" have never had or at least contemplated abortion ~ but they have NO right to intervene in others' personal decisions ~ or personal choices ~ or personal beliefs ~ especially about a legal medical procedure ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/17/09 12:03 pm • # 16 
I think this campaign is worthy of the name "Kitten Stomper" (credit goes to Chaos) as it lowers the bar considerably when it comes to political discourse.

PostPosted: 11/17/09 12:42 pm • # 17 
Administrator

Not familiar with the expression "Kitten Stomper".

PostPosted: 11/17/09 12:48 pm • # 18 
Administrator

See Chaos' #7 post in the "Rove Attacks Obama For ..." thread, oskar ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/17/09 12:53 pm • # 19 
Administrator

gopqed wrote:
I think this campaign is worthy of the name "Kitten Stomper" (credit goes to Chaos) as it lowers the bar considerably when it comes to political discourse.

No question it is brutal, gop ~ but eliminating coverage for legal abortions WILL force some women into the back alleys again ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/17/09 6:11 pm • # 20 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:

LMAO!!!

PostPosted: 11/17/09 6:28 pm • # 21 
Chaos, you've stated my own view of the issue very well in #13. As for "playing the what-if game," well, yeah, don't you think that before any policy or law is changed, someone really OUGHT to think about "what if?" and make sure the consequences are acceptable? But, of course those "usual suspects" would prefer to live life with blinders on and forget that every law has consequences...intended or unintended, anticipated or unanticipated.

What irks me is that the same people who would deny a woman an abortion are also the ones who would deny her any sort of benefits to help raise that child. They aren't pro-life, they just want to punish women and their children when the women don't conform to their narrow-minded views.

PostPosted: 11/18/09 3:09 am • # 22 
Editorialist

Sooz, the wealthy will always have access to abortion. Not available in your state? Travel to another state. Not available in this country? Travel to another country. Miss a day or two or three of work to do that, no biggie, the bills will still get paid. No coverage for elective abortions? Not a problem, they can afford it anyway.

The non-wealthy don't have the same choices. That's why I see this affecting them far more than it does the wealthy. I hope that clarifies.

Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply