It is currently 05/18/24 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 3 of 6   [ 148 posts ]
 Post subject: Dangerous Billboards
PostPosted: 11/23/09 2:30 pm • # 51 
Sooz, and whoever would like to see my images... they can be viewed at.. www.imageevent.com/bobspics , enjoy...

PostPosted: 11/23/09 2:51 pm • # 52 
Editorialist

"So, when I see this, it makes me sad. Don't need a reason... call it experience. I refuse to join a boycott, for any reason.. boycotts are bully tactics" and "I did not say that a boycott is not free speech, although, sometimes I wonder whose speech it is? The crowd mentality or the organizer? I am just saying that in MY OPINION, boycotts are crowd mentality bully jobs... and I am not in favor of joining. If it is OK with you, then enjoy."

It's OK with me. A boycott can be used for good or ill. In this case it's being used for good.

PostPosted: 11/23/09 3:05 pm • # 53 

Then we are are good... Isn't this a great world where we can agree to disagree without locking and loading! I will protest in my manner, you in yours.. who knows, maybe it will be a better world that way, and maybe I have to stop smoking that funny weed.. Image

PostPosted: 11/23/09 3:34 pm • # 54 
Editorialist

Good.

PostPosted: 11/24/09 4:16 am • # 55 
Editorialist

"So, when I see this, it makes me sad. Don't need a reason... call it experience. I refuse to join a boycott, for any reason.. boycotts are bully tactics" and "I did not say that a boycott is not free speech, although, sometimes I wonder whose speech it is? The crowd mentality or the organizer? I am just saying that in MY OPINION, boycotts are crowd mentality bully jobs... and I am not in favor of joining. If it is OK with you, then enjoy."

Are not all boycotts personal decisions? An organization can call for one but it's still up to the individual to make-up his own mind whether to buy or not? Organized boycotts can also have a reactive effect. As in this case, a call for a boycott by ThinkProgress could encourage Republicans or WND's reader to buy from him.

PostPosted: 11/24/09 5:56 am • # 56 
Editorialist

I can think of no better way to get thousands of dollars worth of free advertising than to put up an offensive sign and then whine, "poor me, abused by the good citiznes I inentionally offended." ha ha. Hey, the guy may be a jerk, but that doesn't mean he isn't a marketiing genius.

Don't know why, but it seems worthy of mention..... I know it is unwise to "assume," but I am hoping it is still worthy to have the curiosity to wonder.

I wonder if most of these people doing such things as wearing the t shirts, pasting on the bumper stickers, hanging the tea bags on their hats and belts, walking around with loaded weapons in emotionally charged crowds, yelling at their congressman and neighbors who disagree, are really so convinced (brainwashed) that there is justification for their behavior that they expect to receive nothing but praise and support?

When the guy killed the abortion performing doctor, did he expect an award from the community? A special blessing from Jesus? Support, praise and love from his family and neighbors?

Seems like people who do things like that must have some positive goal they are expecting to achieve.

I wonder, if the nets finally roil the waters and dredge up the assassin, who it will be who will smugly smile and say, "I made it happen." It won't be the assassin alone. And, like the fourteen dead at Ft. Hood, will the one who finally tips the lunatic who does the deed over the edge with fervor, how many other lives may be added to the one the lunatic is after? Will that matter? Will the motivator, the convincer, the instigator, the puppetmaster, feel even more empowered?

More to say, but different aspect to be discussed. Another thread, when I can get more time on the computer. I have to get on, read, look up, write like crazy and get off.

Ah, well, strange how a few words on the rationale can clear up a lot of misconceptions. I guess most of us don't like other people doing our thinking for us. It's not so unusual, is it?

love it.

jd

PostPosted: 11/24/09 6:10 am • # 57 
Administrator

Jeanne, I don't believe that fanatics to ANY cause think about consequences beyond their personal goal ~ that is exactly why fanatics to ANY cause scare the hell out of me ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/24/09 6:14 am • # 58 
Administrator

jimwilliam wrote:
Are not all boycotts personal decisions? An organization can call for one but it's still up to the individual to make-up his own mind whether to buy or not? Organized boycotts can also have a reactive effect. As in this case, a call for a boycott by ThinkProgress could encourage Republicans or WND's reader to buy from him.

My point exactly about personal decisions ~ but it never crossed my mind about the reverse reactive effect boycotts can have ~ great point, jim!

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/24/09 7:30 am • # 59 
Sooz.. you hit that nail on the head.. a wing-nut fanatic only sees their side of any discussion.. the do not see or care about any consequence, if fact, they have a hard time understanding why every one does not agree with them... On the reverse reaction.. again Jim, I believe that only the wing-nut would run to by a car from this guy to make a point... I believe that 85 - 90% of the people, be them R's or D's.. would be mildly to extremely upset with this idiot.. and would either not bother to buy from him to avoiding him for the same reason I would... I do not do business with people that I don't believe have the ability to think clearly... this guy, in my non-medical opinion, is deranged.

Sooz.. did you get the chance to follow my link and peak at my images?

PostPosted: 11/24/09 7:53 am • # 60 
Editorialist

HAHAHAHAHAHA

PostPosted: 11/24/09 9:04 am • # 61 
[b wrote:
bobspics[/b]]I did not say that a boycott is not free speech, although, sometimes I wonder whose speech it is? The crowd mentality or the organizer? I am just saying that in MY OPINION, boycotts are crowd mentality bully jobs... and I am not in favor of joining. If it is OK with you, then enjoy. I made the statement that if you did not understand why I feel that way, then you do not know about the Rev. Jessie, or you do not think his boycotts are bully pulpit actions.. that is also OK and your opinion. And certainly, you can understand my opinion and disagree. I would be nice if it were stated that way, "ah yes, understand but do not agree". You folks appear (again, opinion) that you not only can disagree, but you must change my mind... on this issue, it ain't going to happen.

Just to further explain my idosicracies... when the Dixie Chicks opened their mouths overseas.. I was upset, not that they voiced their opinions (that is their right), but they did it from the stage in a foreign country. I took that as an insult from the group (again, my opinion). I am a country boy (yes born in NYC - but a cowboy at heart).. I love country music, I have owned, ridden, and trained horses over a 20 year period. I wear western cloths and a cowboy hat and I now play the guitar without causing people pain while listening. There was a big uproar... and a boycott. Radio stations were burning Cd's, people were out burning their CDs... WOW! Blew me away. I had three of their Cd's, did not burn them, I still enjoy them... BUT.. I will not buy another one of their Cd's. They had to leave country music and go to pop-rock.. and I guess they are still doing fine.. which is OK. But I would NOT join the mob mentality.. I just made a personal decision that I would not contribute my money the them. There is a difference between joining the mob, and making a personal choice.

Bob
I am so glad that you stick by the Dixie Chicks much like I do, but you have a fat man in Texas that plays a guitar with his Band and blasted the Chicks real good... I'm sure you know who I am talking about, but I took fat man to task, and blasted him on his Site, that at the time was reserved to blast anyone against Bush... He assured everyone that said anything on his site would get an answer, but needless to say I did not get an answer, since he was all talk and no action... I am not sure, but haven't heard him blasting the Dixie Chicks anymore...Image

PostPosted: 11/24/09 9:17 am • # 62 
WWIIwarrior.. I think you better re-read my post about the Dixie Chicks.. I did not join the mob that was out to destroy them, but I was not happy with their decision to express a political opinion on their stage. I did not rant and rave, or stop listening to them... but I did choose not to support them with the purchase of their products. As i stated.. "I was upset, not that they voiced their opinions (that is their right), but they did it from the stage in a foreign country". That stage is purchased by their fans, and they used it for reasons that were not part of the deal. Since most of their fans did not agree.. they took a serious financial beating. So, no, I did not stand by them..". I just chose a quiet, personal, protest.

PostPosted: 11/24/09 9:21 am • # 63 
Editorialist

bobspics wrote:
WWIIwarrior.. I think you better re-read my post about the Dixie Chicks.. I did not join the mob that was out to destroy them, but I was not happy with their decision to express a political opinion on their stage. I did not rant and rave, or stop listening to them... but I did choose not to support them with the purchase of their products. As i stated.. "I was upset, not that they voiced their opinions (that is their right), but they did it from the stage in a foreign country". That stage is purchased by their fans, and they used it for reasons that were not part of the deal. Since most of their fans did not agree.. they took a serious financial beating. So, no, I did not stand by them..". I just chose a quiet, personal, protest.
actually, ironically, they did not take a serious financial beating. they simply migrated to a (much larger) fan base that appreciated their "lack of patriotism" more.

Bobs- did you see my Dangerous Billboard? Image

PostPosted: 11/24/09 9:44 am • # 64 
Administrator

Bob, I did go to your website for a few minutes last night but got distracted ~ but I bookmarked it so that I can go back later today and spend some time poking around ~ you are obviously a very talented photographer ~ and you have a great clientele ~ I canNOT imagine staying focused enough to work at a concert!

BTW, we have our own very talented and dearly loved "Geek Squad" ~ maybe if you post your questions/problems in the Technology Board, they'll have some suggestions to for you to try re the slide show ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/24/09 3:07 pm • # 65 
No, I do not believe I saw your BB...

On the Dixie Chicks.. from their inception in 1998, until they opened their mouths in 2003.. they had taken over 30 major music awards.. from 2003 - 2007 they took 1 award.. in 2007 they rebounded finally to take 5 Grammy awards.. and nothing since. You can not tell me there was no financial penalty to pay...

PostPosted: 11/24/09 3:54 pm • # 66 
Sooz, thanks, but I do believe I have solved the problem, now I have to get it hosted and published.. they need some numbers because I had my domain, and now I have to transfer it to the new host site.

On the concerts, it is not has hard as you think to concentrate, it is keeping the camera still while I am singing and dancing with the show... and snapping the shutter at the same time. I take an average of 3 - 400 images during a 3 hour show... and I enjoy every moment of it!

PostPosted: 11/24/09 5:30 pm • # 67 
[b wrote:
bobspics[/b]]No, I do not believe I saw your BB...

On the Dixie Chicks.. from their inception in 1998, until they opened their mouths in 2003.. they had taken over 30 major music awards.. from 2003 - 2007 they took 1 award.. in 2007 they rebounded finally to take 5 Grammy awards.. and nothing since. You can not tell me there was no financial penalty to pay...
bob
I did reread your sight and your right, and can only attribute it to all of the interruptions while I was writing it and took the wrong path... In your above statement, I do believe that the Chicks did pay a heavy penalty, but they did draw a lot of big crowds for awhile, but they had too many folks that came down on them hard, in so many ways...

PostPosted: 11/24/09 6:32 pm • # 68 
Editorialist

bobspics wrote:
No, I do not believe I saw your BB...

Bobs- they have not made an album since 2006. it is hard to judge what penalty they have had to pay when they have not put out a record. oh and HERE is my dangerous billboard:

PostPosted: 11/25/09 8:21 am • # 69 
Oh, yea.. I did see that, and got a giggle... I am in the act of tossing them out the door in my house... the price goes up, the service gets worse.. going with a digital package from Time Warner Cable... digital phone, 7 m/s internet and digital HD TV for $99/mo. that is about a 34% reduction on $$$ ...

And I have to add.. they did not stop recording because they were ubber popular... Image...

PostPosted: 11/25/09 9:19 am • # 70 
Editorialist

bobspics wrote:
Oh, yea.. I did see that, and got a giggle... I am in the act of tossing them out the door in my house... the price goes up, the service gets worse.. going with a digital package from Time Warner Cable... digital phone, 7 m/s internet and digital HD TV for $99/mo. that is about a 34% reduction on $$$ ...

And I have to add.. they did not stop recording because they were ubber popular... Image...

have you ever heard of a guy named John Zorn? he has over 100 titles in his catalogue. Hafler Trio? they have over 50. how about R. Stevie Moore? he has over 500 in his catalogue.

if you take all 650 of those titles, add their COMBINED sales, they would not match what the DC's sold on their last album.

Bruce Springsteen's NEBRASKA is his worst selling album. it is by far his best, imo.

if there is a relationship between popularity, quality, and recorded output, i am not seeing it. Image

PostPosted: 11/25/09 9:51 am • # 71 
Editorialist

I don't believe in listening to musicians' or other performers' political views and taking them seriously, unless you are purposely listening to political music, like Woody Guthrie singing for the labor movement or something. I understand bobs' point of view, but it still stuns me that people put stock in what the Dixie Chicks, or Alec Baldwin, or any other performer think about political issues. I might be inclined to deprive people who sing about violence and drugs of my hard earned cash, but I wouldn't stop listening to Kanye's music just because he is a politcal dolt. I would just be inclined to think I liked his music but he is an idiot who should keep his mouth shut.

PostPosted: 11/25/09 10:15 am • # 72 
Editorialist

what i find interesting is that most people (i do mean MOST) seem to think that entertainers should just entertain. they should not have ideas, political thoughts, and strong feelings about anything other than their music. i find the attitude bizarre, personally- but i have seen it so often that i am just resigned to it.

personally, i think musicians have a RESPONSIBILITY to speak out on subjects that are important to them. that anything less is a betrayal of the incredible power that a popular artist has to influence his or her fans. but i KNOW that i am in a minority on that point.

PostPosted: 11/25/09 10:30 am • # 73 
macroscopic wrote:
what i find interesting is that most people (i do mean MOST) seem to think that entertainers should just entertain. they should not have ideas, political thoughts, and strong feelings about anything other than their music. i find the attitude bizarre, personally- but i have seen it so often that i am just resigned to it.

personally, i think musicians have a RESPONSIBILITY to speak out on subjects that are important to them. that anything less is a betrayal of the incredible power that a popular artist has to influence his or her fans. but i KNOW that i am in a minority on that point.
Macro
I sure do agree with you, since freedom of speech gave us that right, without being based on any conditions... So everyone, tell it like it is...Image

PostPosted: 11/25/09 10:44 am • # 74 
Editorialist

WWIIwarrior wrote:
macroscopic wrote:

Macro
I sure do agree with you, since freedom of speech gave us that right, without being based on any conditions... So everyone, tell it like it is...Image

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

PostPosted: 11/25/09 10:48 am • # 75 
macro
I sure do like your Poem, since it covers all of my thoughts and then some more, that I haven't even thought ot..Image.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 3 of 6   [ 148 posts ] New Topic Add Reply