It is currently 04/28/24 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6   Page 6 of 6   [ 148 posts ]
 Post subject: Dangerous Billboards
PostPosted: 11/29/09 1:47 pm • # 126 
Holy shit Bob, relax!

Thanks for the links.

Now to the meat of it. If one were to take those sermons out of context, then yes, they do sound pretty bad. But taken IN context, they are pretty right on target. Therefore I still disagree with you. But will go no further as to not insult you "again"

Glad you came back. I hope it isn't just for this thread.Image

Oh and one more thing...you can ask anyone that knows me, if I thought for one minute you were a liar, I would come right out and call you a liar. I did no such.

Last edited by the monster on 11/29/09 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11/29/09 2:00 pm • # 127 
Administrator

Here in Florida we didn't even have a chance to vote for Wright. Must have been some problem with the ballots.

PostPosted: 11/29/09 2:01 pm • # 128 
Administrator

Bob, with your permission, I'd like to edit your two links to UNstretch the page ~ one question: is each a single link?

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/29/09 2:07 pm • # 129 
OK Monster, the the meat.. what I originally stated was.. I did NOT comment on the content or validity of the Rev's comments, all I stated was that Obama said he never heard them... I do not believe that for a moment.

You stated,, leads me to believe that you have no idea what you are talking about and only 2 sermons ARE being used. No disrespect but I don't believe what you say has any truth to it. Sorry, but that sounds a lot like you saying I believe you are a liar. Might be splitting hairs, but, yea... sounds like liar. this part is not very nice, nor is it accurate.. me to believe that you have no idea what you are talking.

Just call it the way I see it. I hope after all this, enjoy the video... BTW.. I listened to the video, and it really is difficult to take that stuff "out of context".

Last edited by bobspics on 11/29/09 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11/29/09 2:12 pm • # 130 
I edited them... sorry.

Jabra.. trouble with ballots in Florida... perish the thought!

Gee, a hell of a decade to quit smoking!Image

Last edited by bobspics on 11/29/09 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11/29/09 2:25 pm • # 131 
Administrator

Thanks, Bob ~

And LOL @"hell of a decade to quit smoking!" ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/29/09 2:29 pm • # 132 
Administrator

Which of Wright's snippets troubled you, Bobpics?

PostPosted: 11/29/09 2:42 pm • # 133 
Editorialist

I'm glad you're still here bob. Someone's got to keep us all grounded.

PostPosted: 11/29/09 2:42 pm • # 134 
Lord, I do hate repeating my self.. again and again and ... well y'all know..

I did NOT comment on the content or validity of the Rev's comments.... !!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: 11/29/09 4:22 pm • # 135 
Editorialist

Quote:
The only thing they had in common was they were Senators from Illinois.. major difference.. Abe was honest... on the other hand.. Obama would not know the truth if it smacked him in the face. Or do you really believe that he never heard his ministers rants (just one of many examples.. read his book for more!)?

The confusion arose, I think, when Bob gave his comparison of Obama to Lincoln. He indicated that Abe was honest, but Obama was not honest. Bob offered as an example what was apparently a claim by Obama (or his representatives, during the campaign) that he had "never heard" ANY of Rev. Wright's "rants," otherwise known as shockingly critical of America speeches.

(I don't recall the exact words that were said by Obama, or his representatives, so I couldn't argue the point of whether or not Obama ever said he had never heard ANY of Rev. Wright's sermons that he would consider offensive. (I'd have to look it up, and I don't feel like doing that.)

Then the debate took a swerve as to whether the Rev's speeches were as a few or many, and whether or not they were actually offensive.

Just so I am sure I have it clear at this point, Bob. Is the point you are trying to make is that you consider Obama a liar, and one of the reasons you consider Obama a liar is because your understanding is that Obama (or one of his spokesman) has said he never heard the Rev. Wright say anything offensive?

So, it is irrelevant whether anyone on this board considers Rev. Wrights sermons offensive or not. What is relevant is that you believe Obama is a liar because he claimed that he never heard Rev. Wright's offensive rants?

So the debate should NOT be about Rev. Wright's sermons, but about Obama being a liar?

(
By George, I think she's got it! Yes? No?)

(I certainly hope so, because, otherwise, I'm gonna have to give up. lol.)

jd

PostPosted: 11/29/09 4:53 pm • # 136 
Editorialist

The argument pre-supposes that Wright's "rants" were objectionable, otherwise why would they have been remarkable enough for anyone to remember them? And why would anyone care whether Obama had? So if the nature of the sermons is irrelevant to the argument, then the whole argument is irrelevant.

The argument further presupposes that Wright's status in that church was such that members necessarily considered his sermons authoritative in their church (not true in the UCC), and that long term membership in the church would therefore suggest agreement with his pronouncements. Since tht premise is false, the whole argument is irrelevant anyway, in my opinion.

PostPosted: 11/29/09 5:55 pm • # 137 
Editorialist

personally, i think Obama should have said that he heard the lectures, but was not present. he heard them the same way everyone else did, and was bothered, but not enough to leave the church. but i doubt that the high and mighty would have understood that.

PostPosted: 11/30/09 5:00 am • # 138 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:
personally, i think Obama should have said that he heard the lectures, but was not present. he heard them the same way everyone else did, and was bothered, but not enough to leave the church. but i doubt that the high and mighty would have understood that.
Macro, I don't think there's anything Obama could have said.....and if he'd never commented on it at all, he'd be criticized for that, too. And by the same people. lol

PostPosted: 11/30/09 6:05 am • # 139 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
macroscopic wrote:
Macro, I don't think there's anything Obama could have said.....and if he'd never commented on it at all, he'd be criticized for that, too. And by the same people. lol

i know.

this is the thing- when Cheney does it- saying "i don't recall" SEVENTY times during a deposition- that is just dottering old guy stuff. when Obama does it a few times, and about something MUCH MORE MUNDANE, it is impeachable.

PostPosted: 11/30/09 8:32 am • # 140 
macroscopic wrote:

I guess the whole premise of my argument with bob is this. As far as I have seen or heard, Obama had not heard the 2 sermons that are the ones I believe are in question. And he hadn't heard them until brought to his attention which was the same time WE heard them. He had been quite busy in the months before and right after the sermons took place. All of the other little clips that were presented on Utube are just that, clips. When taken out of context any clip can be made to look bad. Those that opposed Obama used that quite frequently. Whether one agrees with what the Rev said isn't relevant to the argument I had with bob.

bob said that Obaman "knew or heard" about them and lied when he said he hadn't. I asked for proof and still have not received it. I would rather take Obama's word that he had not heard them as of that time. Obama was not the one that said someone lied, it was Obama that was claimed to have lied. Therefore I believe it us up to the accuser to prove his accusations.

As for whether one agrees with the Rev or not is a different argument. I for one, after listening too and/or reading the transcripts agree with him on most of what he said. His delivery isn't that of a college professor, he plays to the congregation. But if one puts that reason of thought to the side and LISTENS TO THE ENTIRE sermon, they would be hard pressed to not agree with him on many points.

PostPosted: 11/30/09 8:53 am • # 141 
Editorialist

monster- i have no objection with your interpretation. i am just saying i would have preferred him to not be so "lawyerly".

PostPosted: 11/30/09 9:05 am • # 142 
Editorialist

I am really trying to see where there is a coming together that could be acceptable to everyone.

Quote:
bob said that Obaman "knew or heard" about them and lied when he said he hadn't. I asked for proof and still have not received it. I would rather take Obama's word that he had not heard them as of that time. Obama was not the one that said someone lied, it was Obama that was claimed to have lied. Therefore I believe it us up to the accuser to prove his accusations.

Monster, after reading your post, I see another perspective.

This time, I see that you also do not consider the Rev's sermons to be relevent. You are focused on the issue of the Obama's being called a liar, specifically over his comments in reference to the Rev's (to some people) "offensive" sermons.

It suddenly dawns on me that at some point in time, unless someone can prove that Obama was, indeed, among the attendees on the date and time of those specific offensive words being utter, Obama would be telling the absolute truth when he said he did not know (or hear) those words that are being played over and over and over again. If Obama was first quoted as saying he didn't know about them before those clips were played repeatedly, then Obama would have been telling the truth, IF he was not an attendee at the time the words were uttered, or if he hadn't bought the CD's that contained the words AND PLAYED THEM.

So, before someone could claim that Obama was a liar, and use Obama's denial of being aware of those words, until they became headline news, someone would have to prove that Obama was actually in attendance at the time the words were uttered. Is that right?

And that is the proof that is, so far, lacking?

Monster, on this question, I am drawing a total blank. Like most other people, I have only seen the little clips of the same few words over and over again. I have never seen the cameras that were videotaping those particlar sermons doing a sweep of the congregation which might show Obama sitting in the church when the words were uttered. Also, it seems logical to me, that if the camera did sweep the congregation during those particular sermons, and if the President to be were actually sitting there before God and everyone, I certainly think that his presence would have been one of the taped clips played over and over and over as well.

So, I doubt that the President to be was there at the time. And I also think it is likely he was too busy to bother with sitting home listening to old sermons (he doesn't strike me as the type), so at some point in time, when Obama was asked what he thought of the Rev's words, he would have been telling the truth when he said he didn't know about them until they became famous, and then he gave his opinion of the old Rev. and expressed his tolerance and affection for the Rev. End of story?

Show us a picture of Obama sitting in the congregation, or acknowledge, at some point in time, Obama did NOT know about the Rev's rant. After the public knew, of course, Obama was as aware as any other citizen became aware of the words.

Yes? No?

jd

PostPosted: 11/30/09 10:02 am • # 143 
Jeannedeurk1 wrote:
I am really trying to see where there is a coming together that could be acceptable to everyone.

Quote:

Monster, after reading your post, I see another perspective.

This time, I see that you also do not consider the Rev's sermons to be relevent. You are focused on the issue of the Obama's being called a liar, specifically over his comments in reference to the Rev's (to some people) "offensive" sermons.

It suddenly dawns on me that at some point in time, unless someone can prove that Obama was, indeed, among the attendees on the date and time of those specific offensive words being utter, Obama would be telling the absolute truth when he said he did not know (or hear) those words that are being played over and over and over again. If Obama was first quoted as saying he didn't know about them before those clips were played repeatedly, then Obama would have been telling the truth, IF he was not an attendee at the time the words were uttered, or if he hadn't bought the CD's that contained the words AND PLAYED THEM.

So, before someone could claim that Obama was a liar, and use Obama's denial of being aware of those words, until they became headline news, someone would have to prove that Obama was actually in attendance at the time the words were uttered. Is that right?

Yes that is right.

And that is the proof that is, so far, lacking?

Yes

Monster, on this question, I am drawing a total blank. Like most other people, I have only seen the little clips of the same few words over and over again. I have never seen the cameras that were videotaping those particlar sermons doing a sweep of the congregation which might show Obama sitting in the church when the words were uttered. Also, it seems logical to me, that if the camera did sweep the congregation during those particular sermons, and if the President to be were actually sitting there before God and everyone, I certainly think that his presence would have been one of the taped clips played over and over and over as well.

So, I doubt that the President to be was there at the time. And I also think it is likely he was too busy to bother with sitting home listening to old sermons (he doesn't strike me as the type), so at some point in time, when Obama was asked what he thought of the Rev's words, he would have been telling the truth when he said he didn't know about them until they became famous, and then he gave his opinion of the old Rev. and expressed his tolerance and affection for the Rev. End of story?

Should have been.

Show us a picture of Obama sitting in the congregation, or acknowledge, at some point in time, Obama did NOT know about the Rev's rant. After the public knew, of course, Obama was as aware as any other citizen became aware of the words.

Yes? No?

Yes

jd

Instead of providing proof that Obama knew, one is to be called clueless. Yet I in turn, even after saying no disrespect was intended, was said to have disrespected and called one a liar. All I am looking for is proof that Obama knew about the sermons in question. And other than little clips of other sermons, no proof.

Have I beat the horse to death yet?

PostPosted: 11/30/09 10:10 am • # 144 
Administrator

Yes, monster.

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/30/09 10:12 am • # 145 
Editorialist

LOL.

I don't hear any whinnying (sp).

jd

PostPosted: 11/30/09 10:18 am • # 146 
sooz08 wrote:
Yes, monster.

Sooz

Then I am done with this thread. Please, nobody ask me anymore questions concerning this thread. I don't like ignoring folks.

Gonna go out and enjoy the rest of the day.

Peace.

PostPosted: 11/30/09 10:26 am • # 147 
Administrator

The way this thread devolved is a great example of the limitations of this medium ~ it is often not the fault of any one poster/member ~ we know what we are saying and we know what we are meaning ~ but, sometimes, the readers don't get or misinterpret what we think we are saying ~ it could be for any number of reasons ~ is it the poster's fault? ~ yes, sometimes ~ is it the reader's fault? ~ yes, sometimes ~ is it frustrating for everyone? ~ oh ... YES ~

And PEACE back at you, monster ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/30/09 6:09 pm • # 148 
Editorialist

Even if he was there and did hear them the odds against him remembering them (since they were just a tiny part of a sermon) fifteen years after they were uttered are pretty astronomical. Heck! By the time the closing hymn is sung I've forgotten most of the sermon whether I agreed with the minister or not.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6   Page 6 of 6   [ 148 posts ] New Topic Add Reply