It is currently 05/05/24 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]
 Post subject: Yes, I'm bragging ~
PostPosted: 11/27/09 7:32 am • # 1 
Administrator

Many of you know that I've been deeply involved with the founding and operating of a charter elementary school in a very poor and very tough ward here in Chicago for the past 5+ years ~ the school is a gift to the community from the lawfirm I spent my entire working career with until retirement a year ago as the firm's 100th anniversary celebration ~ my [then] boss and now friend was elected to oversee/manage everything ~ so I've been, and remain, very deeply involved from day one ~ we spent over a full year, full time, planning and creating a school, knowing that education is the strongest and best tool in defeating abject poverty, and hiring a truly spectacular principal and teaching staff ~ a charter must be renewed every 5 years, and we are in our first renewal period ~ this is a report that my [former] boss emailed to the entire firm last weekend, following a 2-day site visit as part of our charter renewal investigation ~ I have redacted identifying information from the message only because VoC is open to the public to read ~ obviously, we are thrilled, proud, and deeply gratified by this report ~ this has been [and continues to be] one of the most profoundly rewarding experiences of my life ~ Sooz

As many of you know [school name] Charter School is in the process of its five year charter renewal. A key part of that process is a site visit by a team of educators.
On Friday, the [school name] Charter Renewal Site Visit Team completed its visit to [school name]. The Team, consisting of two outside educational consultants, who have evaluated about 2/3's of the CPS charter schools and many other schools around the country and, indeed, the world, and four CPS people. The team spent two very full days at [school name], working from 7 AM to at least 6 PM, observing classes, conducting numerous focus groups (with school leaders, teachers, staff, board members, parents and scholars) and reviewing voluminous materials, including our renewal application. Late Friday, the Team gave a preliminary oral report to us. (A formal written report will follow.)

The report was detailed, specific and enormously affirming of [school name].

One consultant said that, as an educational reformer, [school name] is her "dream" -- a school that she knew was possible, but has not seen. The other consultant repeatedly said that [school name] was "thrilling" and "stunning". They repeatedly said that it was a "privilege" to have been at [school name].

They said that best practices permeate everything that is done. They described [principal's name], our principal, as "visionary" and the rest of the leadership as outstanding. [Dean's name], our Dean of Academics, "knocked their socks off." They commented that teachers said they had blossomed at [school name] and although the work was hard and stressful, they wouldn't want to be any place else.

An understanding of mission and high expectations were all pervasive. Unlike so many other schools, [school name] actually lives what it says. In the parent focus group, parents teared up talking about how important [school name] is to their children. In the scholar focus group, scholars said "everyone" at [school name] was responsible for their education.

In discussing instruction, they started by saying "wow". There is a deep knowledge of student learning and instruction is "relevant, authentic and meaningful." They have a rubric to determine how much instruction promotes higher order thinking. Unfortunately it is typically in the range of 15-20% and about 40% at a good school. At [school name] they judged it to be 85%. And 96% of the instruction was at a nationally appropriate grade level.

They commended the Board, saying it was well informed about the school, smart, had high expectations, is involved, and provides provident stewardship. They said that the relationship with [firm name] is the ideal, dynamic, business-educator partnership -- what they have looked for from the business community -- the best that they've seen. It should be a model that others follow.

They said that there is lots of love at [school name], [school name] is a Chicago treasure, and others should see it.

The Team's final comment was that [school name] is an "optimal learning community of continuous self-improvement, where everyone was growing and nurtured."

After the meeting one of the CPS people sent an email to [principal's name] captioned "[school name] Rocks", saying: "Definition of a school: [school name] CHARTER SCHOOL. Now, that's what school is all about. I am honored to be a part of your team."

For those of us who are
close to [school name] on a daily basis it is sometimes impossible to see just how extraordinary it is. To observe it through the eyes of experienced educators and to see how affected they were by the experience, was profoundly moving. When they finished their report there wasn't a dry eye in the room. The impact that [school name] has on everyone who is touched by it is truly amazing. We can be very proud of [school name]. The Firm has made an incredibly meaningful contribution to education.

PostPosted: 11/27/09 7:59 am • # 2 
Well done to all involved!
With the exception of life itself, there is no greater gift than a meaningful education.
Brag away, you have every right. Image

PostPosted: 11/27/09 8:06 am • # 3 
Editorialist

I'm grateful that there are people like you out there, Sooz. Nothing could be more important than loving and educating your kidlets, and everyone else's, to their potential.

PostPosted: 11/27/09 8:20 am • # 4 
Editorialist

Does that report mean they were just surprised they didn't get mugged in the halls?

PostPosted: 11/27/09 8:22 am • # 5 
Editorialist

I was just teasing in that last post, sooz. That's great! You've got every right to brag about a job well done.

PostPosted: 11/27/09 9:01 am • # 6 
Editorialist

You've got a right to brag, a right to be proud and what a wonderful achievement for you all.

I have seen so many programs that start off to "make things better," but somehow things turn it into "making thing bitter." Such a gift to me and others in the world to see a group of people worth together and actually achieve the goal.

PostPosted: 11/27/09 10:55 am • # 7 
ImageImageImageImageImage

BRAG ON SOOZ, BRAG ON!!!

PostPosted: 11/27/09 11:04 am • # 8 
Editorialist

if you will forgive the profanity:

FUCK YEAH!

PostPosted: 11/27/09 11:53 am • # 9 
ImageCongrats, Sooz!

PostPosted: 11/27/09 1:51 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

Aw, congratulations. You must feel awesome.

I'd love to talk to you about this in more depth sometime, about what you think is working, and why this school has become so successful, as well as how you define that success. I'd also love to hear how the charter is set up, and how you feel about the tension between the charter school system and the public school system in general.

In the meantime...

(gives sooz a pat on the back)

Well done!

PostPosted: 11/27/09 2:32 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

sooz, my heartiest congratulations on this magnificent success. This is an amazing thing for those children who will be helped. You have every right to toot your own horn. congratulations

PostPosted: 11/27/09 3:14 pm • # 12 
Administrator

Thanks, everybody ~ this has been a truly collaborative effort ~ I am so proud of the firm for its deep and unwavering commitment ~ not only financially [which is very significant], but in time and effort as well ~ many many many people play an active role ~ and I'm very grateful to be a part of it ~ what started out as "part of the job" has become a real passion for me ~ it really is almost magical ~ you simply canNOT remain unaffected once you've experienced what time, attention, and love can do ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/27/09 3:24 pm • # 13 
Administrator

jimwilliam wrote:
Does that report mean they were just surprised they didn't get mugged in the halls?

LOL, jim ~ maybe so ~ but the hallways ARE safe ~ it's getting thru the neighborhood and into the hallways that can be "challenging" ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/27/09 3:38 pm • # 14 
Administrator

Happy to talk whenever, Greeny ~ btw, the tension is not between the charter system and the public system ~ the tension is between the charter system and the teachers' union ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/27/09 6:48 pm • # 15 
Wow! How wonderful! And definitely worth bragging rights. I didn't know you were involved in such a project, but it's wonderful to hear it is so successful!

And, yes, sadly, I can appreciate the tensions you're experiencing with the teacher's union. It seems they try far too hard to defend even the most incompetent teacher, and to threaten them with competence wreaks all sorts of threats.

Keep up the great work!

PostPosted: 11/28/09 1:49 am • # 16 
sooz08 wrote:
Happy to talk whenever, Greeny ~ btw, the tension is not between the charter system and the public system ~ the tension is between the charter system and the teachers' union ~

Sooz
I take it then that this isn't a "union shop"?

PostPosted: 11/30/09 1:07 pm • # 17 
Add my congratulations also Sooz... how wonderful for the students to have someone like you in their corner.

PostPosted: 11/30/09 1:31 pm • # 18 
I applaud you and your firm for such a positive example of what people, the community and business can achieve when they place others above themselves. When I was employed by MCI, I was part of a committee that chose to work with a local city prep school. This school was a school for failures.. meaning that to go there, the city education system had declared you as an expected drop out of the 8th grade. The teachers were all volunteers, dedicated to change, MCI provided the people to go into the classes and assist with tutoring, mentoring, computers and our time. Our Director was behind it 100% and allowed us to go during work hours, as long as we maintained our duties with the company. I can list many, many successes with the program.. my proudest moment... my wife was honored at a high school graduation of a young lady, she graduated Cum Laude... she had been functionally illiterate in the 7th grade. My wife taught her to read!

My most humble congratulations to you for your endeavor.

PostPosted: 12/01/09 7:25 am • # 19 
Administrator

Thanks, Dee and Bob ~

Bob, what a wonderful accomplishment for your wife! ~ there is nothing that matches the "high" when a child first understands something he/she has been grappling over for the first time and then excels ~ btw, my former firm also grants "volunteer" time at school ~ in fact, the school's 4-days-a-week after-school program is basically manned with staff and attorneys from the firm ~

One of the best things the principal has instituted is a community service program for all grades [with the exception of pre-k, altho that is likely to change at the beginning of the 2010 school year] ~ we have 2 classrooms of each grade, and each grade decides on a project for that school year ~ the projects include things like visiting local nursing homes and helping serve meals at local missions ~ the children gain a great sense of self esteem by helping others ~ and we're very hopeful that with these good experiences at such a young age, the concept of "community service" will grow and deepen in each child as each child grows ~

I greatly appreciate all the laudatory comments ~ there are many many many people involved, each adept at different skillsets, but all focused on having a positive impact in the lives of underprivileged children ~ and we all recognize that we each get more back than we each give ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/01/09 8:13 am • # 20 
Editorialist

Way to go , sooz!

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply