It is currently 04/28/24 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/28/09 4:50 pm • # 1 
Administrator

This is startling and troubling news ~ I read somewhere that the attorney for this couple [who are aspiring reality TV stars and just happened to have a camera crew with them] claims that they had been invited but had "misplaced" the invite ~ yeah, right ~ I'm also curious whether or not they stayed for dinner or left after going thru the reception line ~ but my real question is whether it is appropriate for the media to give such heavy play to this episode or whether it may give others "ideas" ~ Image ~ Sooz

November 28, 2009
Posted: November 28th, 2009 10:15 AM ET

Washington (CNN) -
An internal investigation into a couple who crashed the White House state dinner this week has found that Secret Service agents did not follow protocol at a security checkpoint, the agency said Friday.

"The Secret Service is deeply concerned and embarrassed by the circumstances surrounding the State Dinner on Tuesday," the agency said in a statement Friday. "The preliminary findings of our internal investigation have determined established protocols were not followed at an initial checkpoint, verifying that two individuals were on the guest list."

Tareq and Michaele Salahi, the couple who allegedly crashed this week's White House state dinner, met President Barack Obama in a reception line at the event, a White House official told CNN on Friday.

An internal investigation has found that Secret Service agents did not follow protocol at a security checkpoint.

Full Secret Service statement:

Quote:
STATEMENT BY DIRECTOR MARK SULLIVAN

(Washington, D.C.) - On Friday, November 27, 2009, United States Secret Service Director
Mark Sullivan issued the following statement:

"The Secret Service is deeply concerned and embarrassed by the circumstances surrounding the State Dinner on Tuesday, November 24.

The preliminary findings of our internal investigation have determined established protocols were not followed at an initial checkpoint, verifying that two individuals were on the guest list.

Although these individuals went through magnetometers and other levels of screening, they should have been prohibited from entering the event entirely. That failing is ours.

The Secret Service safely processed more than 1.2 million visitors last year to the White House complex. In the last several years, the agency has successfully protected more than 10,000 sites for the President, Vice President and other Secret Service protectees, screening more than 7 million people through magnetometers at campaign related events, with more than 1 million during the Inauguration alone.

Even with these successes, we need to be right 100% of the time. While we have protocols in place to address these situations, we must ensure that they are followed each and every time.

As our investigation continues, appropriate measures have been taken to ensure this is not repeated.

The men and women of the U.S. Secret Service are committed to providing the highest level of security for those we are charged to protect, and we will do whatever is necessary to accomplish this mission."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... more-79469

PostPosted: 11/28/09 5:19 pm • # 2 
I think it's understandable and can ultimately be a positive for it to be publicized as it has been. Procedures will be tightened so this will be prevented in the future. The Secret Service does a remarkable job, nearly flawless, but something obviously went awry here. Somehow, people got lax in executing their jobs and it's fortunate it ended as harmlessly as it did. The other group that apparently fell down on the job was the White House social affairs office, which didn't have someone stationed at the entrance to ensure all entering were actually on the guest list.

It's an opportunity for all involved to breath a sigh of relief and know they have to make sure it never happens again.

PostPosted: 11/29/09 1:45 am • # 3 
Lan'sakes... I actually agree with gopqed on this one. As for the offending couple: how does "Real Inmates of DC" sound for a "reality TV" series?

PostPosted: 11/29/09 6:08 am • # 4 
Administrator

gopqed wrote:
I think it's understandable and can ultimately be a positive for it to be publicized as it has been. Procedures will be tightened so this will be prevented in the future. The Secret Service does a remarkable job, nearly flawless, but something obviously went awry here. Somehow, people got lax in executing their jobs and it's fortunate it ended as harmlessly as it did. The other group that apparently fell down on the job was the White House social affairs office, which didn't have someone stationed at the entrance to ensure all entering were actually on the guest list.

It's an opportunity for all involved to breath a sigh of relief and know they have to make sure it never happens again.

That's a good way to approach it, gop ~ I agree "the Secret Service does a remarkable job" ~ but there has been plenty of press about the significant increase in threats since Obama has been elected, coupled with the fact that the Secret Service is understaffed ~ NOT a good combination ~

LOL @"Real Inmates of DC", Sid ~ the "lovely couple" is reportedly shopping around for an interview deal ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/29/09 7:50 am • # 5 
Administrator

And speaking of "scammers" ... Image ~ Sooz

News exec: Dinner crashers shopping for interviews
Updated 7h 10m ago

NEW YORK (AP) - The couple who crashed President Obama's first state dinner are peddling their story to broadcast networks for hundreds of thousands of dollars, a television executive says.

The executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the network does not publicly discuss bookings, told the Associated Press that representatives for Michaele and Tareq Salahi contacted networks to urge them to "get their bids in" for an interview. The executive said the Virginia couple was looking for a payment in the mid-six figures range.

Meanwhile, CNN confirmed that the Salahis had canceled an appearance they had scheduled for "Larry King Live" on Monday.

MORE:
Crashers could face criminal charges
WHITE HOUSE:
State dinner crashers met Obama
FACEBOOK:
Michaele Salahi's Facebook profile

Network news divisions say they don't pay for interviews. But for eagerly sought interviews in the past, they have offered to pay for access to exclusive material, such as pictures or videos from their subjects.

Representatives for the couple did not immediately return telephone and e-mail requests for comment.

Michaele Salahis is a reality TV hopeful trying to get on Bravo's "The Real Housewives of D.C." Her and her husband's success in getting into the state dinner Tuesday without an invitation embarrassed the White House and Secret Service.

The agency acknowledged its officers never checked whether the couple were on the guest list before letting them onto the White House grounds. But it initially insisted Obama was never endangered by the security breach because the couple - like others at the dinner - had gone through magnetometers.

When it became clear the couple had interacted with Obama and Vice President Joe Biden during the event, Secret Service Director Mark Sullivan expressed concern and embarrassment. He said that while an investigation continues, the agency has taken measures to ensure the oversight is not repeated.

A White House photo showed the Salahis in the receiving line in the Blue Room with Obama and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, in whose honor the dinner was held. Obama and Michaele Salahi are smiling as she grasps his right hand with both of hers and her husband looks on. Singh is to Obama's left.

On Saturday, Rep. Edolphus Towns, D-NY, who chairs the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, called for a review of Secret Service practices and asked for a briefing this week.

Agency spokesmen declined to comment on reports that agents had visited the Salahis' vineyard in Hume, Va., in search of the couple. Voice mail messages left Saturday at two separate telephone numbers for the Oasis Winery, south of Washington, were not immediately returned.

It is unclear what the couple told officers at the checkpoint that allowed them to go through the security screening. The Salahis lawyer, Paul Gardner, posted a comment on their Facebook page saying his clients were cleared by the White House to be at the dinner.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... titialskip

PostPosted: 11/29/09 8:02 am • # 6 
Editorialist

there is some comfort in knowing not only that the breach was discovered, but widely publicized. i think we are all in agreement on this one.

where is Bobs? HAHAHAHAHAHA

PostPosted: 11/29/09 12:16 pm • # 7 
Sidartha wrote:
Lan'sakes... I actually agree with gopqed on this one.

[img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/eek.gif[/img][img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/roll.gif[/img]

And, yes, I'm just glad the mistake only allowed in someone interested in a harmless publicity stunt, when it could have had much more disastrous consequences.

PostPosted: 12/01/09 5:09 am • # 8 
Administrator

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

I read somewhere yesterday that there was email correspondence between the Salahis and someone in the Pentagon ~ the gist of the emails was not exposed, but allegedly the Pentagon someone said she did not have the authority to invite or approve the Salahis ~ IF true, that statement is pretty hard to "misunderstand" ~ I'm thinking this couple is nothing more than social-climbers, looking for a way to convert that into "reality star" income ~ Sooz

White House 'Gate-crashers:' Innocent

It was "supposed to be a lovely, beautiful evening - a lifetime memory.''

Posted December 1, 2009 8:50 AM
by Mark Silva and updated

The couple who made their way into a White House State Dinner officially uninvited and met the president, vice president and other high-level officials there said today that they are not gate-crashers and have been "devastated'' by criticism.

Tareq Salahi, making his first television appearance since the dinner that President Barack Obama hosted for Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last Tuesday, insisted in an interview on NBC's Today show that the couple is cooperating with a Secret Service investigation of the matter and "the truth will come out.''

Salahi, maintaining that, for his wife, Michaele, the experience has been "the most devastating thing that has ever happened,'' said today: "We're greatly saddened by all the circumstances ... portraying my wife and I as party crashers. I can tell you we did not party-crash the White House.''

Insisting that there is more to the story of their appearance at Obama's first State Dinner, Salahi maintained that the explanation will exonerate the couple from any allegations of misconduct.

"We were invited, not crashers,'' Michaele Salahi said, "and there isn't anyone who would have the audacity or the poor behavior to do that,. No one would do that, and certainly not us.''

Tareq Salahi, maintaining that he has emails that support his claim, said: "I am certain we will be completely exonerated.''

The emails are "clear to us,'' he said in the Today interview, picturing the couple seated side by side at home. "Based on the timeline, I think the American public is actually going to be extremely surprised with all the details that went from beginning to end into what was supposed to be a lovely, beautiful evening - a lifetime memory.''

"A lifetime memory,'' his wife echoed.

Robert Gibbs, the White House Press Secretary, said in another televised interview this morning that there is no other way to view this incident than an unauthorized intrusion.

""This wasn't a misunderstanding," Gibbs said in an interview aired by MSNBC this morning. "You don't show up at the White House as a misunderstanding."

Gibbs said this, too, in an appearance this morning on FOX & Friends: "If your name isn't on the list, which their's wasn't, if you didn't get an invite, which they didn't, you shouldn't be here at an event... Those individuals should not have gotten on the complex."

The White House says the Secret Service is investigating what happened at a State Dinner where two people who were not formally invited managed to make the rounds of the dinner, shake the president's hand in a receiving line and pose for photographs with Vice President Joe Biden and Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel,

"I think the president really had the same reaction the Secret Service had,'' Gibbs said of Obama's response, "and that was great concern for how something like this happened."

With members of Congress calling for an investigation, and the House Homeland Security Committee scheduling a hearing this week, Salahi maintains that he and his wife are "shocked and devastated'' by the portrayals of them as gate-crashers.

"No question,'' said Salahi, characterizing himself as a great admirer of the president. "It's been devastating what's happened to Michaele and I ... Our lives have really been destroyed."

Salahi said he and his wife have been "very candid" with the Secret Service and "have turned over documentation to them... We're going to definitely work with the Secret Service between Micahele and I to really shed light on this.''

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/polit ... innoc.html

Last edited by sooz06 on 12/01/09 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/02/09 4:33 pm • # 9 
Administrator

This is a WaPo "News Alert" email I just received ~ sounds like they may have a problem with speaking under oath ~ Sooz

News Alert
10:00 PM EST Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Salahis decline to testify before House committee

Tareq and Michaele Salahi will not testify before Congress on Thursday about how they got into the White House last week for President Obama's first state dinner, the Associated Press reported. The Salahis' publicist said in a statement that the couple had already provided information to lawmakers.

PostPosted: 12/03/09 6:35 am • # 10 
Administrator

POLITICO "Breaking News" email ~ while I have great and deep respect for the Secret Service, I definitely see the suspension as the right reaction ~ I'm debating with myself whether firing is the right reaction as well ~ it could easily have been a disaster ~ but thankfully it was not ~ Sooz

POLITICO Breaking News:
-----------------------------------------------------

The agents who let Tareq and Michaele Salahi through the White House checkpoint at last week's state dinner have been placed on administrative leave and might be fired, according to Secret Service chief Mark Sullivan.

PostPosted: 12/06/09 5:35 am • # 11 
Administrator

Something about the Salahis' story has bothered me from day one ~ something just didn't sit right ~ this couple had the cojones to go on [I think] the Today Show and claim that THEY were victims and that their lives were "ruined" ~ seems to me, they did a pretty good job of victimizing themselves and ruining their own lives with their HIGHLY questionable personal behavior and "ethics" ~ they are looking more and more like common frauds ~ Sooz

Lawsuit: Salahis bounced $24K check for liquor buy

Associated Press

ROCKVILLE, Md. - The Virginia couple at the center of last week's White House security breach is now accused of bouncing a nearly $24,000 check for liquor purchased in Maryland.

The Montgomery County government, which conducts all the wholesale liquor sales on its territory, filed a lawsuit Thursday against Michaele and Tareq Salahi, the couple who got into a state dinner last week without an invitation. The Salahis purchased wine and beer for America's Polo Cup World Championship, a charity polo event they held in the county in May.

According to documents filed in Montgomery County District Court, the couple returned more than $10,000 worth of merchandise, but they still owe more than $13,000 from the bounced check.

A spokesman for Dewey & LeBoeuf, a law firm that represents the couple, declined to comment on the claim.

Meanwhile, at a Virginia courthouse Friday, Tareq Salahi was forced to give up a Patek Phillipe he was wearing to pay the couple's $2,000 debt to landscaper Mike E. Dunbar. The Salahis' lawyer said the watch would be worth far more than the debt. The judge ordered the watch held at the courthouse until the lawyers figure out how to sell it.

Virginia regulators said Thursday they are investigating the Salahis' fundraising practices. The couple says money raised through the polo tournament goes to their nonprofit Journey for the Cure. But state officials say the nonprofit didn't register with the state to raise money until last month.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091204/ap_ ... nced_check

PostPosted: 12/06/09 6:39 am • # 12 
I have two words for this couple "GOLD DIGGERS".

PostPosted: 12/06/09 7:00 am • # 13 
Two more words - white trash.

PostPosted: 12/06/09 7:19 am • # 14 
sooz08 wrote:

This is a WaPo "News Alert" email I just received ~ sounds like they may have a problem with speaking under oath ~ Sooz

LOL! I just noticed in the video clip the big cross Michaele Salahi is wearing in the Today Show clip. I'm easily amused by blatant hypocrisy of lying through one's teeth while flaunting symbols of a religion that teaches "Thou shalt not lie." [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/happy.gif[/img]

PostPosted: 12/06/09 11:53 am • # 15 
Editorialist

climbers. never did get it.

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply