It is currently 04/28/24 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 40 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/30/09 3:49 am • # 26 
I live in one of the largest counties in the state of Missouri and this county is nearly always at the top or close to the top in people living on welfare. What I have observed down through the years here is that younger people learn from their parents and for many of these living on welfare it is a way of life. They live on welfare because thats the way they were brought up, their parents did, their grandparents did and now they do it. They continue to have children and absolutely think nothing about the financial responsibilities that comes with raising a family. They start out on WIC and welfare then as their children grow older then rely on welfare and outreach programs.

I am a believer in welfare for people who really need it but just for one generation after another generation to constantly live off the system is so wrong, IMO. I can walk down the street of this very small town and point out the ones who are abusing the system. I could go through the local phone book and tell by the last name whether it's a one, two or three generation of welfare users. It's really sad.

Last edited by Dee on 11/30/09 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11/30/09 3:53 am • # 27 
Editorialist

you make no allowances for people who had great jobs with large incomes who suddenly are now poor.
You think there should still be a stigma in getting food stamps so people will get off their lazy asses and work harder, but this does not make any allowances for the elderly or disabled.
You think you should get to decide what a person buys with their food stamps. God forbid a person in poverty should ever buy something special, maybe for a childs birthday or for a holiday dinner.
I find this attitude rather hateful and certainly an attmept to control every possible aspect of people in povertys lives

PostPosted: 11/30/09 4:03 am • # 28 
I don't think a stigma should be put on people using food stamps but in many situations in my area, some of the people using food stamps have put the stigma on themselves. Having lived in Houston, Tx for years and having a houshold income of over $80,000 yr., getting used to social security retirement benefits and a pension from a small investment, there sure are times when I'd like to have that welfare card to pay for groceries so I can use my money to buy my grandchildren more things than I can do now. I can't go into a store now just buy what I want when I want to like I used to when I was working. What I have to do now is budget things into each check and eventually get what I want.

PostPosted: 11/30/09 4:35 am • # 29 
Editorialist

I hope to buy everything I could possibly want or need for the rest of my life, before I retire. Has anyone here tried that? Looking for advice.

PostPosted: 11/30/09 4:41 am • # 30 
Editorialist

sorry grampatom, i worked 30 years, then i unexpectedly became disabled so I was unable to prepare adequately. I hope you achieve your goals. It sucks to be below the poverty level. I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.

PostPosted: 11/30/09 4:52 am • # 31 
Before my husband and I retired nearly three years ago, we had a new house built and it took us nearly two years to get it done because we didn't want to retire with a mortgage so we'd have part of it built and pay for that then we'd have another part built and pay for that until finally it was all completed. We also paid off the credit cards and now only use them to purchase things online or for airline tickets, hotels, etc. We realized our lifestyle was going to change once we were retired but I think the biggest adjustment I have had to make hasn't been about money but the convenience of once having shopping so close by before and now I have to drive 62 miles one way just to shop at a mall.

PostPosted: 11/30/09 4:54 am • # 32 
Administrator

I can only speak for myself ~ for me, the elderly, disabled, and children are in a totally separate category and their benefits should be carved in stone ~ I maintain that while I deeply believe in a helping hand for those in need, I am 100% anti using any social program as a "career choice" ~ and I am 100% anti not pursuing and prosecuting blatant fraud ~ there are a finite number of dollars for those truly in need ~ I want every single one of those dollars to go to people who really need the help ~ NOT to people scamming/gaming the system ~

The problem today is of course jobs ~ there aren't anywhere near enough ~ so [literally] millions of new people are applying for benefits against that finite number of dollars ~ Calluna, you mention people should sell houses they can't afford ~ while that is generally sound advice, today there are untold numbers of homeowners who would love to do exactly that ~ but they can't find buyers OR today's market value [after the real estate balloon exploded] pushes them into negative equity and if they are lucky enough to find a buyer at fire-sale prices, they are still left with what [given today's economy] can be overwhelming debt ~

I told the story of my personal experience in an earlier post because it was so obvious to me that that specific couple was scamming/gaming the system ~ it's possible, but not likely, that I judged them too harshly ~ whether I am right or wrong about that couple, there are many many many who do game/scam the system ~ that kind of people are, literally, taking dollars from those who need it most ~ and that deeply angers me ~ and it should deeply anger everyone, especially those who are truly in need ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/30/09 5:08 am • # 33 
Administrator

grampatom wrote:
I hope to buy everything I could possibly want or need for the rest of my life, before I retire. Has anyone here tried that? Looking for advice.

gramps, you know I retired about 1-1/2 years ago ~ it's amazing to me how little I actually need or really want now ~ for the last couple of months, I've been going thru and really cleaning out my possessions ~ I laugh, and cringe, at things I'm donating that were "must haves" at the time of purchase ~ today, a pair of comfy jeans and shirt, a good book, my computer [Image], and of course chocolate and red wine, keep me happy ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/30/09 5:26 am • # 34 
Editorialist

Many moons ago, I worked as a grocery cashier.

I've seen plenty of people like Sooz describes. Sure, it's never 100% accurate to judge based on what you see, but somtimes gut instincts are spot-on.

PostPosted: 11/30/09 5:27 am • # 35 
Sooz... I can so relate to your statement "it's amazing to me how little I actually need or really want now" and your list is so much like mine. I think I live in jeans, t-shirts, boots these days. I have recently donated many of my business suites and high heel shoes to an organization that helps peoples women who have gotten new jobs but don't have the clothes to wear to these jobs.

PostPosted: 11/30/09 7:01 am • # 36 
Editorialist

I was actually joking, but thanks for the advice. I've lived in poverty and plenty and I much prefer plenty. I think we're going to be OK as long as we DON'T try to buy everything that strikes our fancy, now or after retirement. We're both delaying retirement for a few years past the time we could retire. We've timed the mortgage to expire before we do...just before we retire. We'll have no car or other loans. If we can avoid helping our kids too much, we'll be OK.

PostPosted: 11/30/09 7:11 am • # 37 
Editorialist

I know people who should use food stamps but don't out of pride or ignorance of their availability, or whatever. I haven't ever known anyone who scammed the system. I have known someone who made the choice not go from a part-time job to a full time job at low wage, because the expense of doing so (child care, loss of food stamp or other aid) put her and her kids in worse shape than before. Is she scamming the system? It's a complicated question. Sometimes there are no good choices available, and one has to choose the least bad option. I don't harbor even one tiny, teensy bit of animosty toward her for her use of my tax dollars.

PostPosted: 11/30/09 10:28 am • # 38 
Soos, Dee, Grampatom and the rest of you too numerous to mention...Image

This must be the norm, since I do with a whole lot less that I use to and I need less money then I get, and I use the rest of it to help others or treat them in some fashion, that is useful, and will be doing the same over Christmas... I will admit to buying something to enjoy myself with along with others... I did buy a Mustang Convertible that I am sure you may have heard about and I do extensive travelling, while helping others at the same time...
Keep up the good work you all...

PostPosted: 12/02/09 4:35 pm • # 39 
I think everyone in here would be surprised by the amount of fraud that is taking place in the welfare system. I know, because my gf is a welfare fraud investigator. There are people living in mansions in gated communities that are on the dole. Then there are those that are living in squalor that don't take advantage of the various programs out there. And I am totally against career welfare recipients (cwr). But here is a major problem, the children of these cwr's have to be taken care of. So the cwr gets the money and can spend it however they please. They don't get stamps anymore, they get a card that works like a debit card. It is hard for the average shopper to tell who is on welfare and who isn't. So the stigma is pretty much gone.

PostPosted: 12/02/09 4:47 pm • # 40 
Administrator

I believe fraud is rampant, monster ~ but I'd probably be rabid if I knew the real amount ~ all of our social programs need very deep review and significant revamping ~ and the problem with using children is one of the thorniest problems there is ~ sadly, I believe that there are mindsets that view whatever controls are in place as a challenge to beat ~ Image ~

Sooz

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 40 posts ] New Topic Add Reply