It is currently 04/28/24 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/30/09 6:38 am • # 1 
Administrator

And I'll bet that ONE person is his daughter ~ Image ~ and the connection between Palin's approval numbers and Limbaugh/Beck is not remotely surprising ~ for some strange reason, the acronym "GIGO" jumps into my mind ~ Image ~ Sooz

By Amanda Terkel at 9:50 am

Just one person in Washington Post poll says Cheney best reflects conservative principles.

Two new polls report that former Alaska governor Sarah Palin and right-wing radio host Rush Limbaugh are the most powerful conservatives in the country. According to a 60 Minutes/Vanity Fair survey, 26 percent of Americans rate Limbaugh as the most influential conservative voice, followed by Fox News host Glenn Beck at 11 percent. In a Washington Post poll, a plurality of Republicans say Palin best reflects their "party's core values," and they would vote for her "if the presidential nomination battle were held today." Two people who don't fare as well in the Post poll are George W. Bush and Dick Cheney:

Quote:

Just 1 percent pick George W. Bush as the best reflection of the party's principles, and only a single person in the poll cites former vice president Richard B. Cheney. About seven in 10 say Bush bears at least "some" of the blame for the party's problems.

The Post surveyed 804 "Republicans and Republican-leaning nonpartisans" for its sample. Palin is particularly popular amongst the "loyal followers of Limbaugh and Beck." "Overall, 18 percent of Republicans and GOP-leaning independents cited her as the person most representative of the party's core values. … Among those who regularly listen to Limbaugh, however, Palin was cited by 48 percent, and among Beck's viewers, it was 35 percent, far surpassing others."

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/11/30/cheney-one-poll/

PostPosted: 11/30/09 1:03 pm • # 2 
I'd say the Republican Party is in some for deep doo-doo.

PostPosted: 11/30/09 2:42 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Dee, don't you think the Palinites have a chance of winning the rest of us over?

PostPosted: 11/30/09 6:23 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

It seems to me that the key numbers in the poll are that only 18 percent of Republicans support Palin and .12 percent support Cheney. Since they're the only two politicians mentioned those number have to be pretty discouraging for them that want to reshape the party according to their brand of "conservatism."

PostPosted: 11/30/09 7:03 pm • # 5 
No way grampatom.

PostPosted: 12/01/09 1:04 am • # 6 
jimwilliam wrote:
It seems to me that the key numbers in the poll are that only 18 percent of Republicans support Palin and .12 percent support Cheney. Since they're the only two politicians mentioned those number have to be pretty discouraging for them that want to reshape the party according to their brand of "conservatism."

It's not unusual for a party that just lost an election along the lines of what happened in 2008 to have a large field of potential candidates for the next election, with non of them having a significant segment of the party behind them. The Democrats after the 2000 election had a similarly dispersed support of potential candidates - in fact, Joe Lieberman was the leader in some of those polls. Of course, the Democrats ended up with a loser like John Kerry as their 2004 candidate, so there's still hope for the Democrats to somehow maintain control of the White House in 2012. Image

I'll see if I can find a poll for the Republicans after the 1992 election - There was a huge field there, and Bob Dole was the leader, but I would be surprised if in November of 1993 he was over the low 20's in support among Republicans.

PostPosted: 12/01/09 3:58 am • # 7 
Editorialist

Gop: The trouble with your theory is that there isn't a plethora of candidates right now. People mention other potential candidates like Huckabee or Romney but they, themselves, ae not really putting themselves out there. The point I was trying to make is that there is a segment of the Republican party that is trying to redfine the meaning of the word "conservative" and shaping both the word and the Party to fit their mould. This poll has to be discouraging to that group since there's really ony one candidate that reflects their values and she only excites about 18 percent of the entire party. If you look at the actual Post analysis of the poll the news for them is even worse since, as it points out, fewer people identify themselves as Republicans than since 1981 and, of those who do, forty percent don't see any of the crop of potential candidates as worthwhile. In short, that far right "conservative" movement seems to be dead in the water - which is probably a good thing for the Republican Party.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/29/AR2009112902935.html?hpid=topnews

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply