It is currently 04/28/24 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: Role models
PostPosted: 12/04/09 6:36 am • # 1 
Administrator

I'm very tired of the Tiger Woods' melodrama ~ his "transgressions" should be between he and his wife ~ but this article [from today's Yahoo News] raises some interesting questions about "role models" and, more generally, leaders ~ and their impact on society ~ there can be and are both good role models and bad role models ~ and sometimes one person can be both ~ in school parlance, that's a "teachable moment" ~ my dad always used to say that anybody can play a good hand, but it's how you play a bad that shows what you are ~ I believe that ~ I would think that the characteristics required for either a role model or a leader [a certain amount of narcissim and ego, for example] play a huge role ~ do role models and leaders get swept into believing their own hype? ~ do they believe they are "entitled" to "transgressions"? ~ do we the public hold role models and leaders to higher standards than we hold ourselves? ~ should we? ~ Sooz

Woods' fall from grace rekindles role-model debate

NEW YORK - Tiger Woods was different, or so he seemed, with his unmatchable talent and carefully burnished image. Unlike some pro athletes, he had welcomed being a role model. He was, it turns out, too good to be true, and his fall from grace calls into question the very idea of sports hero worship.

"No one has approached this level of perfection on and off the playing surface, maybe ever, without a single blot or tarnish," said Dave Czesniuk, director of operations for Northeastern University's Center for the Study of Sport in Society.

"The real story here is the meeting of expectations with reality," Czesniuk said. "The guy's a human being and we forget that."

Woods' apology Wednesday for unspecified "transgressions" - coinciding with reports of repeated marital infidelity - was, on one level, only the latest in a long sequence of superstar downfalls.

Michael Phelps was photographed with a marijuana pipe. Marion Jones had her Olympic medals stripped for doping that she long denied. Roger Clemens and Alex Rodriguez faced dual allegations of steroid use and adultery. And so on.

Woods, however, was unique - a globally recognized brand name that evoked impeccability and historical greatness. His sponsors and handlers, his admiring chroniclers in the media, and especially Woods himself contributed to the image-making.

"The public had become jaded and indifferent - they expected Barry Bonds and Marion Jones and Sammy Sosa to fall," said psychologist Stanley Teitelbaum, author of "Sports Heroes, Fallen Idols."

"But no one really expected that of Tiger Woods," he said. "Now that it happens to him, people are not as indifferent - there's more disappointment and more disillusionment."

Steve Elling, senior writer for CBSSports.com, wrote this week that fans and sportswriters, himself included, were gullible in placing Woods on so high a pedestal.

"We have learned by now to invest admiration in public figures with a grain of salt. With Woods, we just ate the whole salt lick," Elling wrote. "Say it with me: Never, ever again."

Woods, for all his preoccupation with mastery on the course, had managed throughout his career to be viewed as more than just a golfer - loving son to his parents, civic-minded creator of a foundation serving disadvantaged children, devoted father who said he'd play less golf so he could spend more time with his two young children.

He didn't embrace social causes, and sometimes there were brief flashes of temper or crudeness. But as far back as 1997, he was on record as welcoming the responsibilities of role model.

"I think it's an honor to be a role model," he was quoted as saying in a Business Week article. "If you are given a chance to be a role model, I think you should always take it because you can influence a person's life in a positive light, and that's what I want to do. That's what it's all about."

If that was Woods' goal, Teitelbaum said it had been achieved.

"In terms of a role model, he's A-one," the psychologist said. "The fans, and especially kids, are desperate to have role models to look up to. ... People have made him the designated sports hero.

"When you're among the high-flying and adored, your public will give you unconditional love as long as you continue to perform," Teitelbaum added. "But there's a responsibility to be that much more careful and that much more transparent and, when something does happen, to deal with it openly."

The depths of sudden disillusionment with Woods have been almost tangible. According to Zeta Buzz, which tracks millions of blogs and social media posts, online references to Woods had been 91 percent positive before his recent troubles and by Thursday had dropped to 57 percent positive.

The owner of a youth-oriented Internet site called Role Models on the Web said Thursday he'd been inundated with hateful e-mails and phone calls for leaving a flattering entry about Woods on the site.

"Should he be considered a moral role model? No," said Lamar Brantley of Sarasota, Fla. "But through his foundation, he's done a lot of good."

Above the Woods entry on the Web site, Brantley added this update:

"I will leave Tiger up as a role model as I believe it is probably a good topic for discussion in your family. If you do or do not believe him to be a role model of any kind, discuss it with your children."

Countless parents have been forced into similar conversations in recent years as drug and sex scandals entangled star athletes in numerous sports.

"There's an important parental role to play with kids," said Joe Kelly, founder of a national fatherhood group called Dads and Daughters. "You need to make clear that role models are just models - they're not without flaws, and we will be disappointed by them sometimes, the same way we're disappointed by our parents sometimes."

Kelly said he retained a degree of admiration for Woods because of the golfer's past comments about how much it meant to become a father.

"We have higher responsibilities as fathers, rather than responding to every impulse and desire we might have," Kelly said. "When it comes to being a father, we have to be the grown-up. When we act like children, the fallout is terrible."

Some of Woods' admirers believe he will redeem himself, not only through further golfing excellence but also through a show of character.

"He is distinctive in myriad ways - not only his talent, but his extraordinary level of discipline," said Dan Doyle, director of the Institute for International Sport at the University of Rhode Island. "What I think will happen is Tiger will never make this kind of mistake again."

"The fact that he made what is clearly a big error does not dismiss him as someone who can have a tremendous effect on society and youth in the future," Doyle added. "People will give him a second chance, and he will make good on that second chance."

LINK

PostPosted: 12/04/09 6:51 am • # 2 
I continuously rage against role models. The public knows what is presented to them and Tiger was a skinny, nonthreatening looking black guy playing a white guy's game. The advertisers knew that was golden.

They couldn't use any of the boxers; that's a blood sport. Most of the basketball players wore their aggression and tattoos on their sleeves, so they are out.

A couple football guys can cross the ranks, but they are iffy, too. The long-haired Polamalu with the Tyson-esque voice can sell hair product. Peyton has a natural ease in front of the camera.

It is very counterproductive to set public figures on a pedestal for others to model. They do not personally care about those modeling them and their image is manufactured for their promotion and the promotion of the products they sell.

PostPosted: 12/04/09 7:38 am • # 3 
Whether it's a good thing or not, people in the public eye end up being role models for various reasons. Tiger Woods, up to now, has been primarily a positive figure. It's now a question of how he will appear going forward. A lot of people were disappointed because he has had such an overwhelmingly positive image and has actually been inspirational on some level to people who appreciated his combination of skills and also his public persona where he has been giving back to the community through his foundation. I think that's a good thing - it doesn't mean his being a role model takes anything away from other role models like parents and family members. It's just another element in people's view of the world.

PostPosted: 12/04/09 7:56 am • # 4 
Editorialist

Most celebrities are not role models by choice. It comes with the territory. I don't think it is wise to hold them up as role models when we really know little about them. Some of hte best role models for young and old are people who have made many bad choices and somehow overcame their shortcomings, turned their lives around, and began helping others. Unless a celebrity holds themselves out as an inspiration and tells people to be like them, think like them and act like them, it is unwise and maybe unfair to expect them to be a "good" role model. Signing up to endorse products is not the same thing.

PostPosted: 12/04/09 10:25 am • # 5 
Mega celebrities like Woods have publicists and agents to handle their image. Tigers Woods, himself, is a product. The PGA is a product. Tiger Woods has been very good for golf. He got people excited about the game. This is a little different than endorsing Buicks, but the process is the same.

He does give back to the community, but the man is making a $1Billion through endorsements and that is obscene to me.

PostPosted: 12/04/09 10:43 am • # 6 
Why is that obscene? His endorsement deals run to about $100 million per year, I think. It's an advertising expense that the companies wouldn't be paying if it wasn't a net help to them.

He's an incommon talent, and that's rewarded in an uncommon fashion. He has had a net positive impact on people.

PostPosted: 12/04/09 11:25 am • # 7 
He hits a ball during a game, gop. I don't actually even think golf is a sport. If you can smoke a cigar while you are doing it; it's not a sport.

He may have encouraged some people to play golf. He's an uncommon talent as is Roger Federerer, Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, Venus and Serena etc etc. In the end they are sports stars,

It's not like they are providing healthcare for everyone or have cured cancer.

PostPosted: 12/04/09 11:51 am • # 8 
There are many people who don't provide healthcare or cure cancer who can be role models for people. It's a good thing when someone who is a sports star also can be a good role model for people. It doesn't mean they are better than anyone else - it just means that they can encourage people to excel in whatever field they choose.

Woods is valuable to companies for that reason - I don't begrudge him the money he has made through endorsements. The deals he has had with Nike, for example, allowed them to grow significantly during that time and expand their business. It has been a very profitable relationship for them. Like anything else, they are the judge of what his endorsement is worth to them. If it ceases to be a benefit to them, they will end that relationship and he'll stop making so much money.

There's no harm in people looking to him for some inspiration.

PostPosted: 12/04/09 12:21 pm • # 9 
Administrator

But do, or should, we hold these role models to the same or a different standard than we hold ourselves? ~ they are human, just like we are ~ and they make judgment errors, just like we do ~ so does their "role model status" entitle them to less or more "wiggle room" than we allow ourselves? ~ Tiger is a pheonomenal golfer and a generous humanitarian, made possible by his talent ~ does that talent and public persona give us entre to his personal life?

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/04/09 3:03 pm • # 10 
But do, or should, we hold these role models to the same or a different standard than we hold ourselves? ~ they are human, just like we are ~ and they make judgment errors, just like we do ~ so does their "role model status" entitle them to less or more "wiggle room" than we allow ourselves?
A different standard, as in a higher standard then we hold ourselves? Only if they have been promoting themselves as something to look up to

Tiger is a phenomenal golfer and a generous humanitarian, made possible by his talent ~ does that talent and public persona give us entre to his personal life?

I don't believe any entertainer or sports figure should be expected to give up their right to have a private life just because they happen to have a job that puts them in the public eye. The only thing we the (paying) public have the right to expect is that these people will give each performance their best effort. We are not entitled to know the most intimate details of the personal lives. If they choose to share some aspects of their lives with us fine, but we are not entitled to it. We are not owed an apology or an explanation for their "transgressions" - that belongs only to the family or friends they have hurt.

PostPosted: 12/04/09 5:49 pm • # 11 
glitterypickles539 I totally agree with your statements.

PostPosted: 12/05/09 4:52 am • # 12 
Seconded Dee.

PostPosted: 12/05/09 8:46 am • # 13 
Editorialist

i am completely opposed to the idea of "public personas" that are somehow endowed with greatness simply because they are popular. you are just as likely to find a hero two doors down than on TV.

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply