It is currently 05/13/24 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/07/09 5:05 am • # 1 
Administrator

Interesting case ~ personally, I don't believe there should be "campus funding and other benefits" for groups that have discriminatory membership policies ~ I also don't understand why anyone would want to join any group that obviously is bigoted against his/her own beliefs ~ I'm going to try and find out about the "settlement" with Southern Illinois University ~ Sooz

Court to decide if college group must allow gays
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court said Monday it will decide whether a California law school must force a Christian group to admit gays, lesbians and nonbelievers to gain stature as an official campus organization.

The high court agreed to hear an appeal from a chapter of the Christian Legal Society at the University of California's Hastings College of the Law. A federal judge had turned aside the group's attempt to force the school to give it campus funding and other benefits without opening its membership to gays, lesbians and nonbelievers - a requirement of the San Francisco school.

The 30-member Hastings group was told in 2004 that it was being denied recognition, including university funding and benefits, because of its policy of exclusion.

Federal courts have rejected the group's assertions that the law school's policy violated its freedoms of speech, religion and association.

According to a society news release, it invites all students to its meetings.

"However, CLS voting members and officers must affirm its Statement of Faith," the statement said. "CLS interprets the Statement of Faith to include the belief that Christians should not engage in sexual conduct outside of a marriage between a man and a woman."

The Christian Legal Society has more than 100 chapters at universities nationwide. The group has sued other universities on the same grounds.

It won at Southern Illinois University, whether the unversity settled with the group in 2007 and recognized its membership and leadership policies.

The case is Christian Legal Society v. Martinez, 08-1371.

On the Net: Christian Legal Society: http://www.clsnet.org/

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091207/ap_ ... christians

PostPosted: 12/07/09 5:31 am • # 2 
I agree, Sooz. If it is a public university, they should not have to recognize or fund any group with discriminatory policies and practices. None of that prevents those organizations from exercising their religious freedoms. They can still gather in public areas at the university to have their meetings, or can opt to find a location off-campus. Perhaps even a local church would offer them space to hold their group meetings. They would not even be prohibited from posting flyers on campus advertising their meetings. The only thing they wouldn't get is public funding, and perhaps the priority that university-recognized groups would get for reserving meeting rooms (most universities allow outside groups to reserve rooms if they are unused, they just get last choice after course and exam scheduling and events held by university departments and university recognized groups).

PostPosted: 12/07/09 7:13 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Right now I can't think of a good reason why a public university should spend money on any non-academic groups at all. What's the argument for doing that?

PostPosted: 12/07/09 11:12 am • # 4 
God made them do it.

PostPosted: 12/07/09 6:29 pm • # 5 
I agree, I don't believe there should be "campus funding and other benefits" for groups that have discriminatory membership policies but I also can't understand why anyone would want to be a part of such group either. I would not want my name to be associated with groups like this.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply