It is currently 05/05/24 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 33 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/09/09 12:09 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Serious question: why do these doofusses lie about things that are so easily checkable? ~ Sooz

By Matt Corley at 5:05 pm

O'Reilly: 'We triple-check everything' that goes on my show.

In an interview with TV Guide published on Monday, Fox News host Bill O'Reilly said that he was proud that he has "not had to retract a story in 13 years" on Fox News. Admitting that he had "made mistakes" on the air, O'Reilly said they were always corrected "quickly." He attributed his lack of a retraction to the "brain room here at Fox" where they "triple-check everything." Despite his claim of rigorous fact-checking, O'Reilly opened his show last night with the false claim that President Obama's 47 percent approval rating released by Gallup on Monday was "the lowest number ever recorded for any president at this point in his term." Watch it:

If O'Reilly and his staff had simply checked Gallup's historical data, he would have seen that President Gerald Ford reached a 42 percent approval rating in a shorter period of time and President Bill Clinton reached a low of 37 percent six months into his first term.

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/12/09/ore ... ple-check/

PostPosted: 12/09/09 12:14 pm • # 2 
I think the point about "the lowest number for any President at this point in his term" could be accurate, because Clinton and Ford had both seen their approval ratings rebound above the 47% mark by the time they had been in office 10 1/2 months. He did say "AT this point" rather than "by this point."

Again, thinkprogress is so busy screeching that they didn't pay attention to the details.

PostPosted: 12/09/09 1:02 pm • # 3 
Administrator

LOL, gop ~ if only you [and O'Reilly's audience] were so "precise" about R comments as well ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/09/09 1:12 pm • # 4 

Thinkprogress has a disturbing tendency to misrepresent what people way to be able to rant about it. This is just the latest example I've seen here.

I think it's thinkprogress who needs to worrk on their precision a bit. Image

PostPosted: 12/09/09 4:48 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:
I think the point about "the lowest number for any President at this point in his term" could be accurate, because Clinton and Ford had both seen their approval ratings rebound above the 47% mark by the time they had been in office 10 1/2 months. He did say "AT this point" rather than "by this point."

Again, thinkprogress is so busy screeching that they didn't pay attention to the details.

i am pretty sure it is wrong. Truman pretty much went right into the toilet after coming to office. he was below 45% at 10 1/2 months, and continued to fall until he reached the low 30's. actually, it is hard to read the chart. he might have been about the same. so was Reagan. however, they were both lower at 12 months than Obama is likely to be. i guess O'Reilly will have to find a new statistic to cherry pick.

Last edited by macroscopic on 12/09/09 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/09/09 6:38 pm • # 6 
The Gallup Poll for Truman's approval rating at about 10 1/2 months into his administration (late February, 1946) was 49%.

http://webapps.ropercenter.uconn.edu/CFIDE/roper/presidential/webroot/presidential_rating_detail.cfm?allRate=True&presidentName=Truman

Reagan was also at 49% at the same point (mid-December) in his first term.

http://webapps.ropercenter.uconn.edu/CFIDE/roper/presidential/webroot/presidential_rating_detail.cfm?allRate=True&presidentName=Reagan

PostPosted: 12/09/09 7:38 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:
The Gallup Poll for Truman's approval rating at about 10 1/2 months into his administration (late February, 1946) was 49%.

http://webapps.ropercenter.uconn.edu/CFIDE/roper/presidential/webroot/presidential_rating_detail.cfm?allRate=True&presidentName=Truman

Reagan was also at 49% at the same point (mid-December) in his first term.

http://webapps.ropercenter.uconn.edu/CFIDE/roper/presidential/webroot/presidential_rating_detail.cfm?allRate=True&presidentName=Reagan

wow. so, let me see if i got this right.

we have a guy that is ranked the FIFTH BEST PRESIDENT EVER, and another guy who is ranked the TENTH BEST PRESIDENT EVER, and Obama is within polling error of both of them?

and we should be worried about this, why? and this is news, why? and we are arguing about this, why?

point blank, gop- O'Reilly is cherry picking stats here:

YES
OR
NO
?

for the rest of you, i have $100 for anyone who will take it- Obama will be above one or both of these men by the State of the Union address. any takers? if so, respond with your paypal address. you will get my invoice in January.

PostPosted: 12/10/09 3:46 am • # 8 
macro, of course O'Reilly is cherry-picking stats. But what he said is also correct, a fact that the whiners at thinkprogress missed in their zeal to attack him. It's their frequent misrepresentation of facts and statements that I have an issue with. They would do themselves much better if they stick to arguing the merits of policies rather than rolling around in the mud with others.

As it stands, the thinkprogress blog is the left's equivalent of Fox Nation or some other right-leaning, foaming-at-the-mouth, blog.

PostPosted: 12/10/09 3:48 am • # 9 
Well, he's at 50 right now.

O'Reilly's a hack who plays to hacks.

PostPosted: 12/10/09 3:51 am • # 10 
O'Reilly's a hack who plays to hacks.

That's why he plays so well with thinkprogress. Image

PostPosted: 12/10/09 4:07 am • # 11 
Administrator

PostPosted: 12/10/09 4:17 am • # 12 
Administrator

gop, based on ample public examples, I'm not willing to give O'Reilly credit for that subtle distinction ~ it doesn't take a Rhodes Scholar to know what O'Reilly was intentionally, at a minimum, implying ~ but if you don't like ThinkProgress, that's fine with me ~ what you call ThinkProgress' "frequent misrepresentation of facts and statements" is often interpretational ~ I'll just wait patiently for you to be as harsh and precise a critic on any other [less liberal/progressive] source ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/10/09 4:23 am • # 13 
I'm dismissive of all of the blogs, whether left or right-leaning. They all misrepresent facts to make their political point, and as such aren't reliable sources. That's why you won't see me using any of them as a source when I make my case for whatever I'm stating. They are the internet version of the various pundits on TV that have a hard time making an honest, cogent argument in favor of their viewpoints.

PostPosted: 12/10/09 4:31 am • # 14 
Editorialist

I will stick up for gopqed here- I can't recall him ever posting from a conservative source. He always just gives his own analysis of the situation.

PostPosted: 12/10/09 5:18 am • # 15 
Gopqed should write a blog. Image

PostPosted: 12/10/09 5:52 am • # 16 
Administrator

gopqed wrote:
I'm dismissive of all of the blogs, whether left or right-leaning. They all misrepresent facts to make their political point, and as such aren't reliable sources. That's why you won't see me using any of them as a source when I make my case for whatever I'm stating. They are the internet version of the various pundits on TV that have a hard time making an honest, cogent argument in favor of their viewpoints.

YOUR sources are not in question, gop ~ but I disagree with dismissing all blogs ~ to me, ignoring [left- or right-leaning] blogs is tantamount to accepting those specific mindsets and dismissing what/why public opinion leans the way it leans ~ if there is wrong info, it SHOULD be corrected ~ otherwise, that "wrong info" carries the day ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/10/09 7:54 am • # 17 
Well then, sooz, I'm a little disappointed you haven't appreciated my corrections of the misinformation peddled by thinkprogress. Image

PostPosted: 12/10/09 7:57 am • # 18 
I'm not opposed to correcting misinformation posted in blogs. I try to do it whenever I see such stuff posted here.

Perhaps FF is on to something, and I should start a blog to correct all of the misinformation posted in blogs out there. But I'm afraid there's simply not enough time in the day.

PostPosted: 12/10/09 9:24 am • # 19 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:
macro, of course O'Reilly is cherry-picking stats. But what he said is also correct, a fact that the whiners at thinkprogress missed in their zeal to attack him. It's their frequent misrepresentation of facts and statements that I have an issue with. They would do themselves much better if they stick to arguing the merits of policies rather than rolling around in the mud with others.

As it stands, the thinkprogress blog is the left's equivalent of Fox Nation or some other right-leaning, foaming-at-the-mouth, blog.
ok, thanks. no further questions.

PostPosted: 12/10/09 10:28 am • # 20 
macro, for the record, I think it is very likely that Obama's approval rating at his 1-year mark will be at or exceed those of Reagan and Truman at the 1-year mark. He'll get a boost from apssage of a health insurance bill and the improving economy. His first term is going to mirror, in many ways, Reagan's first term and their approval rating graphs will look a lot alike.

PostPosted: 12/10/09 12:08 pm • # 21 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:
macro, for the record, I think it is very likely that Obama's approval rating at his 1-year mark will be at or exceed those of Reagan and Truman at the 1-year mark. He'll get a boost from apssage of a health insurance bill and the improving economy. His first term is going to mirror, in many ways, Reagan's first term and their approval rating graphs will look a lot alike.

gop- we are in complete agreement. do you think he will go all the way to 40%, as Reagan did?

PostPosted: 12/11/09 5:12 am • # 22 
Editorialist

It seems O'Reilly might have made an oops on his polsters too. According to this link, Gallup never had Obama at 47% - at least recently. Rasmussen did but not Gallup.

http://www.pollster.com/polls/us/jobapproval-obama.php

PostPosted: 12/11/09 5:20 am • # 23 

After Brief Uptick, Obama Approval Slips to 47%

New low follows slight increase after announcement of Afghanistan policy

by Jeffrey M. Jones

PRINCETON, NJ -- Barack Obama's presidential job approval rating is 47% in the latest Gallup Poll Daily tracking update, a new low for his administration to date. His approval rating has been below 50% for much of the time since mid-November, but briefly rose to 52% last week after he announced his new Afghanistan policy.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/124610/Brief-Uptick-Obama-Approval-Slips.aspx

PostPosted: 12/11/09 6:10 am • # 24 
Editorialist

OMG- OREILLY IS A FORTUNE TELLER! Image

PostPosted: 12/11/09 6:19 am • # 25 
macro, I guess my response to your earlier post didn't make it through the ether to yuku, but I don't think Obama will drop as low as 40% in the near future - If a health insurance bill is passed, and with the improving employment picture, I doubt he will really drop much lower than the 47% Gallup had him at last weekend. His approval rating trend will probably move inversely to the unemployment rate trend.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 33 posts ] New Topic Add Reply