It is currently 04/28/24 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Be Aware, Stay Safe!
PostPosted: 12/12/09 1:07 am • # 1 
Whudathunk it?
That sly old Beelzebub is at it again.

Last edited by FeatheredFish on 12/12/09 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/12/09 3:10 am • # 2 
...and once the Pokemon become powerful enough they're going to eat all the xians.

He does have a point about the difficulty children face in separating reality from fantasy but then he loses me on the "Satan" thing.

PostPosted: 12/12/09 4:42 am • # 3 
Editorialist

He does have a point about the difficulty children face in separating reality from fantasy but then he loses me on the "Satan" thing.

Kids have always lived partially in fantasy worlds but I think the idea they are unable to separate fantasy from reality is a bit overblown. When they are really young the problem is greater but, as they grow, they learn the difference. There's even an ideal point where they can still believe in Santa Claus even though, intellectually, they know he's not real. (I never really outgrew that stage.)

What's incredible about this guy's rant is how he picks on something as essentially harmless as Pokemons but makes no mention of the Christian based games and their reliance on demons, devils sorcerers and murdering the infidel. The big difference between Pokemon and Christian games is that Pokemon makes no bones about just being a game - a fantasy - while the Christian games are aimed at brainwashing kids into carrying that belief in the fantasy world into their adulthood. It's that kind of indoctrination that allows scenes like Sarah Palin sitting in church rah rahing some preacher talking about destroying witches in Africa.

PostPosted: 12/12/09 5:36 am • # 4 
Administrator

jim, I mostly agree with your comments ~ but I don't think we can/should dismiss the kids that get lost in fantasy and see it as their reality ~ that's not so isolated these days ~ what some people call a "phase" can have VERY serious consequences ~ for me, there is a significant difference between 7yos believing in Santa and 12yos marching in formation while singing hymns and 15yos with multiple tats and piercings dressed in full Goth ~

The fundamentalist religious fanatics are a very significant problem for me ~ and I easily confess that fanatics of ANY ilk scare me ~ I admit I was truly shaken emotionally after watching the "Christian Camp" video ~ those robot-like fully-indoctrinated children are terrifying ~ at the risk of offending someone which is NOT my intent, to me the "Christian Camp" video is VERY reminiscent of the Hitler Youth ~ and I see both the fanatics dedicated to indoctrinating the children and the parents subjecting their children to that indoctrination [which I have no doubt is lived at home as well] as totally abusive ~ the argument of course is "freedom of religion" and "free speech" ~ but as I've said before, I really wish there was some limit of those "rights" when they are MISused to teach/preach hatred based fully in bigotry and discrimination ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/12/09 5:44 am • # 5 
The "God" fantasy is the worst of them all. I can't see where believers are dealing with any sort of reality. Their entire religious system is based on fantasy and makes no sense.

Pkiachu is as believable as the Great Flood.

PostPosted: 12/12/09 6:31 am • # 6 
Editorialist

What's incredible about this guy's rant is how he picks on something as essentially harmless as Pokemons but makes no mention of the Christian based games and their reliance on demons, devils sorcerers and murdering the infidel.

it is even worse than that, jim. there are games that glorify the cursed fate of nonbelievers. that really irks me. as if divine punishment will not be enough? what a bunch of assholes.

PostPosted: 12/12/09 6:53 am • # 7 
He should have done less drugs or drinking in his youth (or perhaps less now too). And, speaking of distinguishing fiction from reality, who is he trying to fool with that awful toupee?

I nearly spit out my coffee laughing when he talked about demons and showed a picture of Jigglypuff.

PostPosted: 12/12/09 7:06 am • # 8 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
jim, I mostly agree with your comments ~ but I don't think we can/should dismiss the kids that get lost in fantasy and see it as their reality ~ that's not so isolated these days ~ what some people call a "phase" can have VERY serious consequences ~ for me, there is a significant difference between 7yos believing in Santa and 12yos marching in formation while singing hymns and 15yos with multiple tats and piercings dressed in full Goth ~

The fundamentalist religious fanatics are a very significant problem for me ~ and I easily confess that fanatics of ANY ilk scare me ~ I admit I was truly shaken emotionally after watching the "Christian Camp" video ~ those robot-like fully-indoctrinated children are terrifying ~ at the risk of offending someone which is NOT my intent, to me the "Christian Camp" video is VERY reminiscent of the Hitler Youth ~ and I see both the fanatics dedicated to indoctrinating the children and the parents subjecting their children to that indoctrination [which I have no doubt is lived at home as well] as totally abusive ~ the argument of course is "freedom of religion" and "free speech" ~ but as I've said before, I really wish there was some limit of those "rights" when they are MISused to teach/preach hatred based fully in bigotry and discrimination ~

Sooz
The Goth and tatoos on teens doesn't bother me too much, Sooz. I don't see it as a lot different from prechers and sociologists predicting the end of civilization when kids started growing long hair and wearing bell bottoms. The vast, vast majority of them will outgrow it and turn into accountants. There will always a small minority who are unable to differentiate between fact and fantasy but that's also something that comes from time immemorial.

I too was stunned by the indictrination in "Jesus Camp". So much of it reminded me of film clips we sometimes see about the brainwashing in the Hitler Youth groups. The big fanger in that kind of indictrination is that the fantasy they teach becomes the adult reality.

PostPosted: 12/12/09 7:10 am • # 9 
Religion is a form of brainwashing.

PostPosted: 12/12/09 9:01 am • # 10 
jimwilliam wrote:
The Goth and tatoos on teens doesn't bother me too much, Sooz. I don't see it as a lot different from prechers and sociologists predicting the end of civilization when kids started growing long hair and wearing bell bottoms. The vast, vast majority of them will outgrow it and turn into accountants.

I agree on this. It's just the way they dress to annoy their parents. Chances are that if it didn't get a reaction from adults, they would do something different. I think every teen goes through some form of testing the limits of their individuality in roughly the same way all their friends do. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif[/img] I would try to discourage them from doing anything permanent on a juvenile whim, like the myriad piercings and tattoos (if they still like it when older, then that is their choice to make, but most will end up regretting being permanently marked with their teenage fad).

I also think a lot of adults give children too little credit for understanding the difference between reality and make-believe. The vast majority are even suspicious of Santa and the Tooth Fairy once they've reached school age, but still enjoy playing along, or haven't quite decided yet but are working on it.

PostPosted: 12/12/09 11:23 am • # 11 
Editorialist

fantasy is real
truth is lying
war is peace

he speaks with forked tongue

PostPosted: 12/12/09 2:26 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

How wierd that this is posted now!

My daughter has a buddy on the bus who gave her a few of his duplicate Pokemon cards, and they've been passing the time on the bus ride home playing for several weeks now. And for some reason, the little "bus buddies" ( kids assigned to keep everyone in line) decided it was a bad thing, and "BANNED" them from playing. My poor gal came home all upset, and I had to explain to her about what happens sometimes when people have power and it goes to their heads. lol

Meanwhile, her buddy gave her a written invitation to crash his cub scout x-mas party Friday night. Cheered her up considerably! [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply