It is currently 04/28/24 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ]
 Post subject: The Tiger Woods Fallout
PostPosted: 12/14/09 7:33 am • # 1 
Administrator

I read somewhere that something like $92MILLION of Tiger's 2008 $97.5MILLION earnings came from endorsements ~ I, too, expect others to sever ties with him, altho that may not cut his earnings in the short run ~ depends entirely on how the contracts are written, altho I'm guessing that all big $$$ contracts have some kind of "morality clause" ~ it's interesting to me tho that Accenture would be the first, given its own history of evolving out of Arthur Andersen ~ and it will be interesting to see how Tiger's self-imposed "indefinite leave" will affect the PGA tour as a whole ~ I'm really glad his father didn't live to see/experience this ~ Sooz

Drip, drip, drip...

Stage 2 of the Tiger meltdown: Corporate blowback begins

Well, the first corporate shoe has now dropped on Tiger Woods' head (and from his bank account): Accenture is
backing out of its sponsorship of the world's best golfer.

Here's the key graph from Accenture's statement announcing the move
:

Quote:

For the past six years, Accenture and Tiger Woods have had a very successful sponsorship arrangement and his achievements on the golf course have been a powerful metaphor for business success in Accenture's advertising. However, given the circumstances of the last two weeks, after careful consideration and analysis, the company has determined that he is no longer the right representative for its advertising. Accenture said that it wishes only the best for Tiger Woods and his family.

As I wrote last week in my BaltSun column, I'm really torn about how to feel about Tiger. I care less about his corporate money train than his impact on a generation of young golfers, so I'm not going to weep for his lost Accenture paycheck.

The question now is whether Accenture's move opens the barn door for other corporations to bolt, or whether they turn out to be an aberration. My best guess is that in the next few days or weeks at least of few more sponsors will follow Accenture's lead and dump Woods, too.

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/

PostPosted: 12/14/09 7:55 am • # 2 
My Goddaughter is married to the Nanny who once took care of the Nike boys and now takes care of the Nike grandchildren since the sons are not young anymore and the the Nike family now have grandchildren. I was just talking to her last night and I asked her about the Nike endorsement and she said the family really stands behind Tiger and that Tiger has made tons of money for the Nike Company. If they bailed out on him someone else would grab him up.

Tiger is the best golfer out there and I truly hope he comes back and plays again. I think what he did is wrong but I also think it's horrible the way the media has really jumped on this bandwagon and it's gone into overkill.. IMO

PostPosted: 12/14/09 8:49 am • # 3 
I think he's overpaying for his transgressions.

PostPosted: 12/14/09 9:26 am • # 4 
Administrator

I might agree, Sid, if this was the response to a single act of infidelity ~ but this is "serial infidelity", with a parade of mistresses ~ I think the whole episode, both confession and repentence, should be between Tiger and his wife, Elin ~ most superstars swap the right and benefit of at least some privacy in their personal lives as the price for celebrity and fortune ~ Tiger's "transgressions" have proven to be far beyond an "oops" moment ~ so I can't really fault the companies that hired Tiger as spokesman for being concerned about their own public images ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/14/09 9:54 am • # 5 
I agree it should be between his wife and him. Problem is, he wants us to buy products and give to charities because of his name. As sooz said, losing part of your privacy goes with that.

I've heard that he didn't always use protection. Having sex with that many different women without protection endangers not only hmself but his wife. This is way beyond simple infidelity. I also have trouble with guys who screw around while their wife is carrying their child.

I never thought he was a saint but this is disappointing. Women like Paris Hilton get called skank and all the other tacky names. Can you get any skankier than Tiger? Where are the names for him?

PostPosted: 12/14/09 10:03 am • # 6 
paris is a skank, and i don't think what tiger did was skankier than paris.

hey, the guy is rich and famous. he had a bunch of women throwing themselves at him. he couldn't resist the temptation and went for it. not once but multiple times. he is a dawg by all rights. but when it comes down to it, i really don't care. its just like clinton's infidelities. they were between him and his wife and their god if they have one.

as for losing his endorsements, too bad for him. i guess he will have to try to survive off the $1billion he has already made. poor tiger.

PostPosted: 12/14/09 10:10 am • # 7 
Sexism is alive and well. Paris is a skank, the women who he was with are whores, he just couldn't help it and gave in to temptation. Amazing.

PostPosted: 12/14/09 10:20 am • # 8 
i did say tiger was a dawg. I was not being sexist and I am sorry you took it that way. I am not condoning anything he did. but to compare him to paris is a bit much.

PostPosted: 12/14/09 10:45 am • # 9 

monster, I didn't mean just you are sexist. I've noticed this kind of thing a lot and it's just really obvious with this. As far as I know Paris has not been married and has not messed around with married men. Tiger is married. Does that not make him worse? Does the betrayal of his spouse over and over again add nothing to the equation?

PostPosted: 12/14/09 12:37 pm • # 10 
Dawg doesn't sound as bad as skank. In fact, dawg is usually said with winks and nudges...

PostPosted: 12/14/09 2:59 pm • # 11 
Well... go ahead... call him what you want. And if you can't think of anything that sounds disgusting enough, make something up. Guys have been doing that for centuries.

PostPosted: 12/14/09 3:38 pm • # 12 
Yes, they have, Sidartha. The point is not that they do it. The point is that it is accepted that they do it. Dawg... wink nudge (as pickles said). At the same time women who do the same or even less are whores, skanks, sluts, etc. Sexism. Even single women who do it are considered sluttier than married men who do it. I would agree he is a dawg, more accurate would be bitch.

There are a lot of things guys have been doing for centuries. Are all of them equally acceptable. Boys will be boys?

PostPosted: 12/14/09 3:58 pm • # 13 
Who said anything about it being acceptable?

PostPosted: 12/14/09 4:02 pm • # 14 
When I hear someone say something like well "guys have been doing that for centuries", it implies, to me, a certain acceptance. Thinking he's overpaying for his transgressions also implies, to me, a certain acceptance.

PostPosted: 12/15/09 1:27 am • # 15 
Well you made the wrong implication. That was not the intent of my post. My intent was to point out that guys have been assholes for centuries.

PostPosted: 12/15/09 1:37 am • # 16 
Sidartha wrote:
I think he's overpaying for his transgressions.

Well, a lot of people throught he was being overpaid, so maybe this is just restoring the natural balance of the world.

PostPosted: 12/15/09 2:45 am • # 17 
[b wrote:
Katy51[/b]]

monster, I didn't mean just you are sexist. I've noticed this kind of thing a lot and it's just really obvious with this. As far as I know Paris has not been married and has not messed around with married men. Tiger is married. Does that not make him worse? Does the betrayal of his spouse over and over again add nothing to the equation?

paris is a skank, imo. tiger is a dawg, imo. I can't compare the 2 of them because they are completely different people and it is completely different situations. tiger is married, paris isn't. apples and oranges. I do not call tiger a dawg with a wink and a nod. it appears he cheated on his wife not just once but multiple times. now that is just wrong, even though it is none of my business. i have no respect for anyone that takes any kind of vow and breaks it, not to mention repeatedly.

I don't think i was being the least bit sexist and I hope my explanation clears that up.

PostPosted: 12/15/09 8:23 am • # 18 

Sid, do you really think you need to point out that guys have been assholes for centuries? They've been assholes for thousands of years. Women aren't immune to being assholes.

Doesn't that guy on American Idol call all the guys dawgs? It just isn't the same as skank, slut and whore.

At any rate, monster, we agree on the vows. If people don't want to be or can't be monogamous, they shouldn't get married.

PostPosted: 12/15/09 8:58 am • # 19 
Doesn't that guy on American Idol call all the guys dawgs? It just isn't the same as skank, slut and whore.

LOL...let's not use American Idol definitions for dawgs, please. I never called paris a whore or a slut. I do think she is skanky and that is because of the way she carries herself. I have no idea what kind of a person she is in private. But I can't call her a slut or a whore.

Now if you want to call tiger a slut and a whore, I could back that up. That's what I thought I was doing when I called him a dawg. It was not a term of endearment.

PostPosted: 12/15/09 9:29 am • # 20 
lol. I don't watch Amercan Idol but I think the guy does use the term as a term of endearment, not an insult. Skank is never used as a term of endearment.

monster, I'm not sayng that your intent is to be sexist. I'm saying that imo there's a double standard showing that is sexist.

I used Paris as an example because like Tiger she is rich, so neither does it for money. I find Tiger's behavior to be skanky, more so because he's married. He's also a slut. Part of skanky is promiscuity. I find a single promiscuous person not nearly as bad as a married one.

Last edited by Katy51 on 12/15/09 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/15/09 10:27 am • # 21 
There is sexism all over this issue. Elin went at him with a golf club and beat his car and possibly him?!?

Is this okay because she's a pretty woman?

Paris is a marketing genious. She has absolutely nothing. Can't sing, can't dance, can't act, but she is a celebrity for being a celebrity. Being a skanky partygirl is part of the act and pretty much the whole act at that. She's single.

PostPosted: 12/18/09 6:16 am • # 22 
Americans have the same love/hate relationship with their celebrities that the Brits have with the royal family. They are proud they have them, but secretly, they want them to fail and then they want to devour them.

Tiger is a golfer. That's the only reason I even know his name. I don't care about his sins. He's human, and all human's have their failures.

America has become a nation of petty people who spend way too much time wondering if baseball players are taking steroids or if jocks are out screwing the former cheerleaders of the world.

Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply