It is currently 05/05/24 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/15/09 4:24 am • # 1 
Administrator

As you might expect, there are "some" here in Illinois not happy with this ~ I personally do NOT see it as a problem ~ especially since the Gitmo prisoners will be in a separate "wing under the control of the U.S. Defense Department" ~ and the estimated new jobs and federal dollars are desperately needed and very welcome ~ Sooz

Illinois to get some Gitmo detainees, official says

December 15, 2009 9:14 a.m. EST

Washington (CNN) -- A limited number of detainees from the Guantanamo Bay prison will be transferred to a prison in Illinois, President Obama will announce Tuesday, a senior administration official said.

The exact number is "hard to pin down because categories of detainees may shift. While 100 may be the upper limit, the actual number at well below that (75 or perhaps even less)," said another senior official, who is not authorized to discuss the issue with the media.

About 215 detainees are held by the U.S. military at the camp in Cuba.

Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn and Sen. Richard Durbin will go to the White House on Tuesday for a briefing on the plan to use Thomson Correctional Center in Thomson, Illinois, to help shut down the controversial Guantanamo facility.

Illinois state officials have said the plan would call for housing federal prisoners, including some detainees from the Guantanamo Bay prison camp in the largely vacant maximum-security facility in northern Illinois.

The governor and other officials have said such a deal could provide up to 2,000 jobs and up to $1 billion in federal money to the area.

Durbin, the Senate's second-ranking Democrat, has spoken positively of the plan. He said in November that federal officials indicated fewer than 100 detainees from Guantanamo would be housed in the 1,600-bed facility. They would be in , while the Bureau of Prisons would assume responsibility for the rest of the facility.

Built in 2001, the Thomson prison sat empty for five years because the state lacked the resources to open it. Despite being built as a maximum-security facility, it houses 144 minimum-security male inmates, according to the Illinois Department of Corrections' Web site.

It is about 150 miles west of Chicago.

The U.S. military is holding about 215 men at Guantanamo. Among the detainees are five suspects with alleged ties to the 9/11 conspiracy, including accused mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who will be transferred to New York to go on trial in civilian court.

CNN's Dan Lothian and Jill Dougherty contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/12/15/gitmo. ... index.html

PostPosted: 12/15/09 5:00 am • # 2 
Editorialist

about 75-80% of these men are not especially dangerous. i would be willing to house them in my own home, if the government would compensate me for the expense.

PostPosted: 12/15/09 5:06 am • # 3 
Administrator

I agree that the fear-mongers have done their job, Mac ~ has there ever been an escape from a maximum security prison in the US?

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/15/09 5:22 am • # 4 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
I agree that the fear-mongers have done their job, Mac ~ has there ever been an escape from a maximum security prison in the US?

Sooz

i could count the number on one hand in the last century. but that overlys the point that all but about 2 dozen of these men are not especially dangerous.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply