It is currently 04/28/24 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/18/09 12:10 pm • # 1 
Administrator

A man of principle ~ if I can find an email address for Rep Campbell, I'm going to send a note of thanks and congratulations ~ Sooz

By Alex Seitz-Wald at 3:00 pm

Maine state legislator leaves GOP over health care reform obstructionism.

Rep. Jim Campbell, a veteran Republican state legislator in Maine, has announced he's leaving the party over its inability to solve his state's and the nation's broken health care system. In a statement, Campbell expresses frustration with the party, saying he wants to "send a message" to Republicans in Washington to stop blocking health care reform for "partisan gain":

Quote:

This move has been a long time coming for me. I have been very frustrated with the Republican Party in Maine, and nationally, for their failure to address the health care crisis in a meaningful way. Nobody has all the answers, but the Republican Party has none when it comes to health care reform.

This move is about the working people and our seniors who need action. I became a Republican because I believed the party stood for something. I hope to send a message to the Republican Party - and the Democratic Party - that enough is enough; it is time to stop blocking progress in the hope of partisan gain.

Republicans have been brazenly using parliamentary tricks to slow down the health care bill in attempt to kill it before the Democrats' self-imposed Christmas deadline. In October, Sen. Arlen Specter (D-PA), who himself left the GOP, ripped his former party as "a party of obstructionism."

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/12/18/mai ... alth-care/

PostPosted: 12/18/09 12:22 pm • # 2 
Great. Now if only Lieberman would do the Dems a favor and turn Republican...

PostPosted: 12/18/09 1:48 pm • # 3 
Are you kidding? That would mean LIEberman would have to be honest. It's not in his name...

PostPosted: 12/19/09 3:19 am • # 4 
Lieberman is less of a problem for you guys right now than Ben Nelson. Maybe the Democrats should kick out every Senator who doesn't goosestep with Harry Reid....

PostPosted: 12/19/09 5:14 am • # 5 
Administrator

gopqed wrote:
Lieberman is less of a problem for you guys right now than Ben Nelson. Maybe the Democrats should kick out every Senator who doesn't goosestep with Harry Reid....

Woke up to these two "Breaking News" emails ~ Sooz

POLITICO Breaking News:
Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) plans to vote for health-care reform, giving Democratic leaders the required 60 votes and putting the Senate on track to pass the bill by Christmas, a top congressional source said. The House, which has already passed a health-reform bill, and Senate would have to reconcile their versions in January. Leaders hope to send a final bill to President Barack Obama's desk before his State of the Union address in late January or early February.

WaPo News Alert
09:03 AM EST Saturday, December 19, 2009
Sen. Ben Nelson to vote for health-care bill
Sen. Ben Nelson, the final Democratic holdout on health care, was prepared to announce to his caucus Saturday morning that he would support the Senate reform bill, clearing the way for final passage by Christmas.

PostPosted: 12/19/09 6:33 am • # 6 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:

sounds like a Republican tactic to me. after all, the unanimity/group think in the GOP is FAR GREATER than on the Democratic side.

PostPosted: 12/19/09 6:35 am • # 7 
Administrator

Note: this bill is not out of the woods yet ~ Nelson�is the 60th vote needed for cloture ~ NOT for the bill itself ~ Sooz

By Igor Volsky at 12:11 pm

Ben Nelson To Provide 60th Vote For Senate Health Bill

This morning, Sen. Ben Nelson (D-NE) held a press conference to announce that he would provide the 60th vote for cloture on the Senate bill with the manager's amendment." Nelson praised the Obama administration and Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) for addressing his concerns but warned his colleagues, "I reserve the right to vote against cloture vote if there are material changes to this agreement in the conference report. "

Abortion and Medicaid expansion may have been the largest sticking points to winning over Nelson's votes, but Nelson dodged a question about the extra Medicaid matching funds for his state and instead highlighted the amendment's changes to flexible savings accounts (FSA), rural hospitals, and a new report that would study successful malpractice reforms "to find out more information out about it," Nelson said.

The abortion language - which allows states to prohibit abortion in their exchanges and requires strict segregation of private and public funds - may be the most significant alteration. In the video below, Nelson lays out the compromise:

Quote:

First of all there are 12 states that have banned abortion in public plans and there are 5 states that have banned abortion in both private and public plans. We wanted to make sure in this legislation that it was clear that there was no preemption of the right of states to continue to make those bans.

Watch Nelson explain how the funds would be segregated:

"My chief of staff and I basically developed this idea…We already agreed how to account for the money, the premium dollars so finding then the mechanism for coverage was the next. And this we just stumbled on to," Nelson admitted before confirming that abortion was the last unresolved issue.

Cross-posted on The Wonk Room.

Update: Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) tweets about our Wonk Room post on Nelson. ABC's Jake Tapper observes, "first time ive ever seen a Republican senator link to a ThinkProgress blog post."

Update: In a letter released yesterday, the Chamber of Commerce announced its strong opposition to the Senate health care bill, claiming that it "would make health care more expensive,
create onerous new burdens for businesses, hamper economic recovery, and implement a vast array of unwarranted new taxes."

Update:
According to a new CBO analysis, the new Senate compromise "would cost $871 billion over 10 years, reduce the deficit by $132 billion over 10 years and by $1.3 trillion over 20 years. The bill would extend insurance to 31 million individuals, covering approximately 94% by 2019." Check out the details here.

Update:
Republicans are again forcing the Senate clerks to read the entire health care bill. The Wonk Room twitter is following the floor action and reports, "In case you forgot they are reading the 383 page amendment on the floor right now and they are on page 233 (after +4hrs)"

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/12/19/ben ... h-care-60/

Sooz edit: added last 3 updates.

Last edited by sooz06 on 12/19/09 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/19/09 3:14 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

this is a REALLY modest compromise. i am impressed. too bad the public option was IMPOSSIBLE to similarly transact.

PostPosted: 12/20/09 4:40 am • # 9 
Note: this bill is not out of the woods yet ~ Nelson�is the 60th vote needed for cloture ~ NOT for the bill itself ~ Sooz

sooz, I think the bill is going to pass easily, because as soon as cloture is invoked on the bill, the passage requirement drops to a simple majority vote. So it will pass the Senate if they hold together the current 60 votes for cloture. The problem that may arise is in the conference committee with the House. Nelson has basically said that if there are material changes to the Senate bill in the conference report, he'll join in a filibuster of the conference report when it comes to the Senate. Since a conference report can't be amended, Nelson's support of a filibuster would kill it.

PostPosted: 12/20/09 5:41 am • # 10 
Administrator

gopqed wrote:

sooz, I think the bill is going to pass easily, because as soon as cloture is invoked on the bill, the passage requirement drops to a simple majority vote. So it will pass the Senate if they hold together the current 60 votes for cloture. The problem that may arise is in the conference committee with the House. Nelson has basically said that if there are material changes to the Senate bill in the conference report, he'll join in a filibuster of the conference report when it comes to the Senate. Since a conference report can't be amended, Nelson's support of a filibuster would kill it.

Thanks for that info, gop ~ so ... assuming the cloture vote holds, only 51 votes are needed to pass the Senate? ~ and then it goes to the House/Senate conference committee? ~ do we know WHO sits on the conference committee? ~ you seem to be assuming continued R "bloc voting", which kind of blows the whole concept of "compromise" ~ but if for some reason Nelson does support a filibuster because of what he sees as "material changes", wouldn't a single R vote cancel Nelson's vote?

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/20/09 6:30 am • # 11 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
gopqed wrote:

Thanks for that info, gop ~ so ... assuming the cloture vote holds, only 51 votes are needed to pass the Senate? ~ and then it goes to the House/Senate conference committee? ~ do we know WHO sits on the conference committee? ~ you seem to be assuming continued R "bloc voting", which kind of blows the whole concept of "compromise" ~ but if for some reason Nelson does support a filibuster because of what he sees as "material changes", wouldn't a single R vote cancel Nelson's vote?

Sooz
forgive me for being blunt, sooz, but the odds of Snowe or any other Republican backing the reconciled bill are about the same as those of a camel passing through the eye of a needle.

PostPosted: 12/20/09 6:34 am • # 12 
Editorialist

In a letter released yesterday, the Chamber of Commerce announced its strong opposition to the Senate health care bill, claiming that it "would make health care more expensive, create onerous new burdens for businesses, hamper economic recovery, and implement a vast array of unwarranted new taxes."

i unjoined my membership in the US Chamber of commerce many years ago. they are about as representative of the views of average Americans as is NAMBLA.

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply