It is currently 03/29/24 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 32 posts ]
 Post subject: Arrgh! too much snow!
PostPosted: 12/20/09 2:47 am • # 1 
I'm trapped under a foot and a half of snow (so far). I can't get out of my apartment because I can only get the door open just wide enough to admit a dog (who was very happy to get in out of the snow, I might add).

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to bake up a storm...

PostPosted: 12/20/09 4:14 am • # 2 
Administrator

Pic, I am VERY happy you checked in ~ even with your news of being trapped at the moment ~ saying you'll be "baking up a storm" leads me to believe that you've got everything you need until you are "rescued" ~ every time I see the news, I think about our East coasters and hope they check in too ~ I know Kathy got a lot of snow, with more predicted for today ~ and I know WDC got buried, which I see as poetic justice ~ Image ~ I'm almost afraid to say this out loud right now, but we seem to have dodged the bullet ~ the predictions here have been for heavy, wet snow for the past couple of days ~ but because our temps have been in the mid-30s, we've gotten rain instead of snow ~ and we've only seen sporadic very light flurries with NO accumulation ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/20/09 4:22 am • # 3 
If you've got it, bake it!

I hope all of you in the snow belt escape with minimal disruption. I like the look of snow, but having grown up in Montana I have to say that I don't miss it all that much these days. We got our once-every-couple-of-decades snow a couple of weeks ago and now appreciate our return to valley fog with an occasional glimpse of sunchine. We're supposed to get a dose of rain tonight, so should see a little more sun on Monday.

PostPosted: 12/20/09 5:26 am • # 4 
As of about an hour ago, the snow has stopped in my area although it is still coming down out further east. The sun is trying to peek out. My apartment is in the lower level of a split ranch house (so half of my level is underground) and the snowdrifts outside my windows have obscured most of my views. I can't see the street out front at all but at least I can see the back yard and the horse barn. I feel sorry for the poor horses - they must be frozen.

Most of the train service has been suspended, most of the airports have canceled or delayed flights and one local airport has closed down entirely - the first time ever! My sister and her neighbors will have to hire someone to plow out her street because, according to the county, they live on a private driveway and the county isn't responsible to plow it. I liked winter when I was a kid but I hate it now.

PostPosted: 12/20/09 5:27 am • # 5 
Administrator

LOL, gop ~ you know my sister moved to Sacramento recently from Tucson, after spending the last 30+ years or so in Phoenix ~ she called bemoaning your "once-every-couple-of-decades snow" ~ and she was specifically not happy to hear that we had no snow ~ Image ~ what is your typical "winter weather"?

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/20/09 5:40 am • # 6 
You're not alone folks .............

Cold snap wreaks havoc across Europe

Snowstorms and sub-zero temperatures have killed at least 19 people across Europe as well as severely disrupting air, rail and road transport.

At least 15 people froze to death overnight in Poland as temperatures dipped way below freezing. In parts of Germany a figure of -33C was recorded.

Flights have been cancelled, train services have been severely affected and roads made impassable.

Eurostar passenger trains are still not running after electrical failures.

More than 2,000 people were trapped on the trains in the Channel Tunnel for up to 16 hours after condensation caused a series of electrical failures on Friday night.

It is currently unclear when services will resume. Eurostar is running tests on the line on Sunday.

Two people were reported dead in Austria's southern province of Styria as they tried to get home after nights out.

In France, 40% of flights out of Paris's Charles de Gaulle and Orly airports were cancelled as a second wave of snowstorms hit northern France.

Germany's third largest airport - in Duesseldorf - was also closed because of heavy snow, authorities said.

In Belgium, the three biggest airports - Brussels, Charleroi and Liege - were completely shut. Severe delays and cancellations were reported at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport.

In Britain, officials at Manchester Airport - the busiest outside the London area - suspended flights for 90 minutes as staff moved snow and de-iced a runway.

Rail traffic has been affected from Belgium to Italy.

Source:

PostPosted: 12/20/09 5:43 am • # 7 
Administrator

How are things in Scotland, FF?

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/20/09 5:55 am • # 8 
We have some snow at the moment but no big deal, (so far).
It's a bit cold though. -4 to -5 ish.

PostPosted: 12/20/09 6:32 am • # 9 
The snow plow just left my driveway. I don't think we are supposed to get more snow anymore, and it's sunny outside. If I were a kid, I'd like the snow and the possibility of NO SCHOOL tomorrow. It actually looks pretty outside.

Only one prime rib is going in the oven. The men are going to brave the weather and the women begged off. This has to be messing up people's holiday shopping.

Last edited by kathyk1024 on 12/20/09 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/20/09 6:35 am • # 10 
Editorialist

kathyk1024 wrote:
The snow plow just left my driveway. I don't think we are supposed to get more snow anymore, and it's sunny outside. If I were a kid, I'd like the snow and the possibility of NO SCHOOL tomorrow. It actually looks pretty outside.

Only one prime rib in going in the oven. The men are going to brave the weather and the women begged off. This has to be messing up people's holiday shopping.
yes. this will be bad for retail sales. no question.

PostPosted: 12/20/09 6:45 am • # 11 
Some Pictures...

PostPosted: 12/20/09 6:47 am • # 12 
I actually didn't want the winter flowers picture in there, but for some reason yuku decided it should be there. LOL!!!

PostPosted: 12/20/09 7:06 am • # 13 
Administrator

Great pictures, Kath ~ it really DOES look beautiful ~ but I'm VERY glad that at this very moment, there is not one snowflake residing on the ground here in the city ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/20/09 7:57 am • # 14 
Administrator

FeatheredFish wrote:
We have some snow at the moment but no big deal, (so far).
It's a bit cold though. -4 to -5 ish.
Celsiusish, I assume? Image

PostPosted: 12/20/09 8:06 am • # 15 
Of course.
Proper scientific standard scales here none of that outdated Fahrenheit nonsense. Image

PostPosted: 12/20/09 8:29 am • # 16 
Editorialist

Only took us about four hours to dig out this morning. lol Hard to tell how much we got because of the drifting, but in the middle of the backyard it measures 18"-20". The plows had already put a four foot high pile at the end of the driveway though...ugh...THAT stuff was heavy.

Hubby & daughter went sledding, & my first batch of cookies just came out of the oven....

PostPosted: 12/20/09 9:32 am • # 17 
I'm now shoveled out, for the most part, courtesy of my sister and BIL was out with the snowblower trying to clear out the driveway and walkway in front of the house (making the drifts against my windows even higher, oh well...). Not that I'm planning on going anywhere but one does like to feel that one is not forced to remain inside. Chaos, great minds think alike - I just finished baking whoopie pies - recipe in the recipe forum. Hope everyone else that got nailed is doing OK.

PostPosted: 12/21/09 1:42 am • # 18 
We've had no snow... no rain... just cold.

PostPosted: 12/21/09 2:20 am • # 19 
Sid, I'd be very happy to ship some of my lovely white stuff up to you. Take it all!

PostPosted: 12/21/09 2:56 am • # 20 
sooz08 wrote:
LOL, gop ~ you know my sister moved to Sacramento recently from Tucson, after spending the last 30+ years or so in Phoenix ~ she called bemoaning your "once-every-couple-of-decades snow" ~ and she was specifically not happy to hear that we had no snow ~ Image ~ what is your typical "winter weather"?

Sooz

The snow was quite a surprise - we only ended up with about a quarter-inch overnight. Our problem was that our central heat unit had gone belly-up on Friday morning and didn't get fixed until Monday afternoon, so we were without heat through it. Murphy's law in action - especially since we both had colds we were trying to get over. We spent the weekend in one half of the house burning wood in the fireplace and using a space heater - it was kind of like a camping experience. Our lows over that stretch were in the low to mid-20's which is as cold as it has ever gotten here.

Our typical winter weather is days with highs in the low 50's, switching back and forth between foggy and rainy days with an occasional shot of sun in the afternoon. We will get an inversion layer because we are in the Central Valley, where we get socked in with fog that never burns off while the weather is gorgeous just up into the foothills to the east and in the Bay Area to the west. There have been times that has lasted pretty much the whole month of December. It never seems like Christmas unless we have our foggy days, although we haven;t had the severe fog stretches as much for the last few years. December is the worst month for fog, as the weather generally starts warming up pretty rapidly after the first of the year. We typically get 3 to 4 inches of rain in both December and January, which are our wettest months. But we can also have some gorgeous days in the winter - It might have been this past January when we had a stretch of days where it was in the mid-70's. Macro might remember because I think I recall him saying it was around 80 in his neck of the woods.

The bottom line is that although we complain about our winter weather, it's pretty mild when compared to most of the country. I could do without so much of the fog, but as long as it doesn't last for weeks it's better than tons of snow and ice and sub-zero temperatures.

PostPosted: 12/21/09 3:45 am • # 21 
Editorialist

How can you live without the experience of walking a couple hundred yards out onto a lake, chipping a hole in the surface of it, and dragging fish out through the hole?

PostPosted: 12/21/09 3:53 am • # 22 
I've never even been successful catching a fish when my ass wasn't frozen to the surface of the lake, so I think I'll survive. I'll leave that experience to my sister who lives in northern Wisconsin.

PostPosted: 12/22/09 8:38 am • # 23 
Editorialist

Wow- my area has done the best job in ten years of digging out and keeping power on even though this was one of the biggest storms. Must be because Congress is still here. they couldn't keep the airports open though and miraculously could not get the schools cleared before Christmas vacation starts on Thursday.

Still, I feel cheated. One of the tradeoffs for the bad food here is the generally good weather.

PostPosted: 12/22/09 8:50 am • # 24 
Are you in crab cake country?

PostPosted: 12/22/09 11:35 am • # 25 
I drove out to NJ on Sunday (and then took the train into NYC where I am now). I was worried from all the reports of mountains of snow everywhere, but had no problems at all. Sunday was a perfect day to drive. The roads were all well-cleared along my entire route, and I think enough people were scared off from driving that there was no traffic at all, and no cops. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/happy.gif[/img] I made the best time ever, and was expecting it to be a really slow, cautious drive. Even the trains were perfectly on schedule for me. The best part is NJTransit was running double-decker trains on the airport to NYC route, so for once I wasn't trying to jam myself into a seat with luggage amidst crowds of other people doing the same, just to go one stop (where I get the Path train into lower Manhattan).

The streets in the city are still a bit sloppy for walking, but they're working on it. They closed off some streets at night for snow removal, and I guess will probably still do that the next couple nights. Now THAT is a neat thing to see. They don't cart the snow anywhere like they used to (used to load up dump trucks and take the snow to the river or ocean and dump it there). Now they have a giant heater thing that they just dump the snow in and melt it. So they close off a couple streets, push all the snow into a giant pile, which lets them reopen most of the street except for a block or two where they put the pile of snow, which is a REALLY impressive pile, and then they melt the snow there. Unfortunately, too many sloppy places still for me to wear my nice open-toed high heeled shoes to go out to dinner tomorrow night (I'm going to a very fancy place with the bf), so will have to wear the closed-toe flats.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 32 posts ] New Topic Add Reply