It is currently 03/29/24 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/21/09 2:33 pm • # 1 
Administrator

YIKES ~ not exactly appropriate "career counseling" ~ and from a priest no less ~ Sooz

Priest criticized for shoplifting sermon

Published: Dec. 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM

YORK, England, Dec. 21 (UPI) -- British police and retailers have criticized an Anglican clergyman who advised his congregation to weather economic turmoil by shoplifting.

Father Tim Jones, 41, told his congregation at St. Lawrence Church in York, England, during a sermon Sunday it is better for the poor to turn to shoplifting than "prostitution, mugging or burglary," the Daily Mail reported Monday.

"My advice, as a Christian priest, is to shoplift. I do not offer such advice because I think that stealing is a good thing, or because I think it is harmless, for it is neither," he said. "I would ask that they do not steal from small family businesses, but from large national businesses, knowing that the costs are ultimately passed on to the rest of us in the form of higher prices."

The priest's sermon drew criticism from police, the British Retail Consortium and Conservative member of Parliament Anne McIntosh.

"First and foremost, shoplifting is a criminal offense and to justify this course of action under any circumstances is highly irresponsible," a North Yorkshire Police spokesman said. "Turning or returning to crime will only make matters worse, that is a guarantee. We recognize some people find themselves in difficult circumstances but support is readily available and must be sought."

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/12/21/ ... 261442615/

PostPosted: 12/21/09 3:15 pm • # 2 
Dumpster dive instead...

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply