It is currently 04/28/24 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/29/09 1:38 pm • # 1 
We opened up this decade with the DOW at 11,497 and were still highr then the DOW is now, just 2 days away from the end of the Decade... The DOW is now 10,545 from the high at the beginning of the decade... Just read the whole story to get all of the information...

http://m.nypost.com/ms/p/nyp/nyp/view.m?id=20570&storyid=4.0.3701060431

By RICHARD WILNER

Last updated: 3:58 AM December 27, 2009

The aughts were for naught.

After starting out the decade with so much promise, the Dow Jones industrial average - up more than 300 percent in the Nineties - ended the 10-year period with a whimper, finishing off 9.3 percent and forcing investors and homeowners alike to question most every asset class held in their portfolio.

That 17.6 percent average annual increase in the Nineties - the second best decade ever for stocks - drew tens of million of new investors into equities, and boy, did it hurt. Depressed home values and 401(k) accounts will force millions of workers to postpone their retirement - and the American Dreams of many have been burst.

For US stocks and investors, "the last 10 years have been a nightmare, really poor," Michele Gambera, chief economist at Ibbotson Associates, told one reporter.

Donald Marron, a former member of the White House Council of Economic Advisers, said in a published report that if you "want to play the blame game, the first group to blame are the irrationally exuberant investors back in 1999, who pushed valuations to levels that set us up for a tough decade."

"We fundamentally over-allocated resources to housing and the financial sector," Professor Marron says. "We simply had too many mortgage bankers and re-packagers running around and too many people building houses."

Instead of rushing into real estate and equities, investors would have been much better off almost anywhere else. Bonds outperformed stocks, as did most commodities. Oil, for example, increased 187 percent over the decade while gold soared 280 percent.

The Dow started the decade at 11,497.12 but staggered through the first three years, laid low first by the 9/11 terror attacks and then by the bursting of the dot-com bubble. By 2003, the housing bubble was picking up steam and housing prices pushed the market ahead.

By early 2006, the Dow had passed 11,000 for the first time in the decade. Later that same year, the 12,000-mark was surpassed. Despite fears that "irrational exuberance" was behind the markets' rise, low interest rates at the Federal Reserve kept the mortgage business humming, On Oct. 9, 2007, the Dow closed at 14,164.53. That would prove to be its all-time high as schisms and then full fractures of the mortgage market brought the marts to its knees.

By December, the Great Recession had begun.

The Wall Street meltdown would spell the end to Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers and force Merrill Lynch, Washington Mutual, Wachovia, Countrywide Financial and many other financial firms into forced marriages.

Other financial firms that started the decade as powerhouses - like AIG, Fannie Mae and GM - are now wards of Washington. The Dow hit its decade low on March 2, closing at 6,547.05.

Not all companies limped through the decade.

Tech companies, which suffered through the dot-com collapse from 2000 through 2002, performed exceptionally.

In fact, in many ways it was the decade of personal tech.

Few companies had more of an impact - and rang up greater gains - than Apple. If the Nineties were the decade for Microsoft, then the naughts were all about Steve Jobs and Apple. The company rolled out one major innovation after another - the iPod, iTunes and the iPhone, to name just three.

The products helped Apple shares to explode, increasing 686 percent in the decade.

Another game-changer was the BlackBerry, made by Research in Motion, whose stock increased a staggering 778 percent since 1999.

By comparison, Microsoft labored through much of the decade, losing much of its buzz and 41.7 percent of its stock price.

And while those who bought real estate in the last two or three years got burned by the mortgage meltdown - as did those who bought homes they couldn't afford with exotic adjustable-rate mortgages - those who got in early in the decade made out quite well.

In fact, certain Manhattan properties doubled and tripled in value over the 10 years, according to The Corcoran Group.

A four-bedroom, 31รข

PostPosted: 12/30/09 6:20 am • # 2 
I have been saying for over 15 years the prices of new and existing homes have been so highly overpriced that many of us who were in the real estate industry actually saw this coming.

PostPosted: 12/30/09 6:48 am • # 3 
Dee wrote:
I have been saying for over 15 years the prices of new and existing homes have been so highly overpriced that many of us who were in the real estate industry actually saw this coming.

Dee

I agree and I seen it coming in 2003 with no experience in Real Estate... If I could see it then others should have also seen it... The Bush administration and the Banks were in cahoots to tell everyone to buy a house and we will help you in anyway we can... Image

We are seeing the results of it now and will for quite sometime to come... Probably in 2012 we may see it easing up...

PostPosted: 12/31/09 11:36 am • # 4 
We started the last 10 years with the DOW at 11,497 and finished with the DOW at 10,423 for a loss of 1,074 points in the last 10 years...

Yes you could have made a lot of money if you bought at one of the several lows and sold high...

PostPosted: 12/31/09 11:57 am • # 5 
My financial guy called it the lost decade. Sad.

PostPosted: 12/31/09 4:19 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

kathyk1024 wrote:

it happens once a generation actually. it is called a secular bear market.

PostPosted: 12/31/09 5:33 pm • # 7 
kathyk1024 wrote:

Kathy

Yes, it was a lousy 10 years, and don't mind seeing it go , but wonder how the next 10 will be...

PostPosted: 12/31/09 5:43 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

WWIIwarrior wrote:
kathyk1024 wrote:

Kathy

Yes, it was a lousy 10 years, and don't mind seeing it go , but wonder how the next 10 will be...
the first half will not be good, if it is like most other bear markets. the second half will be great.

PostPosted: 12/31/09 6:05 pm • # 9 
macroscopic wrote:
WWIIwarrior wrote:
kathyk1024 wrote:

Kathy

the first half will not be good, if it is like most other bear markets. the second half will be great.

Macro

I said on another board that the first 5 months of the new year should prove to be interesting and that kind of matches up with your post......

PostPosted: 01/01/10 8:17 am • # 10 
Administrator

Adjust for inflation and the DOW is in worse shape than "they" are pretending it is.

PostPosted: 01/01/10 8:53 am • # 11 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Adjust for inflation and the DOW is in worse shape than "they" are pretending it is.

which is precisely why we are still in a bear market.

PostPosted: 01/02/10 3:58 am • # 12 
Administrator

The US won't be recovering any time soon, IMO. Y'all will be lucky to hold your own over the next decade let alone regain your position as Numero Uno - a fallacy that has come to light in recent years.

PostPosted: 01/02/10 5:04 am • # 13 
oskar - The being #1 thing is interesting to jingoists and politicians. What is important to the individual is the fact that soooooo much of our personal wealth just vanished. A decade's worth. Poof!!!!

A lost decade for U.S. economy, workers

Economists, policymakers will be chewing on lessons of the Aughts for years

By Neil Irwin Image

updated 5:49 a.m. ET, Sat., Jan. 2, 2010

For most of the past 70 years, the U.S. economy has grown at a steady clip, generating perpetually higher incomes and wealth for American households. But since 2000, the story is starkly different.

The past decade was the worst for the U.S. economy in modern times, a sharp reversal from a long period of prosperity that is leading economists and policymakers to fundamentally rethink the underpinnings of the nation's growth.

It was, according to a wide range of data, a lost decade for American workers. The decade began in a moment of triumphalism - there was a current of thought among economists in 1999 that recessions were a thing of the past. By the end, there were two, bookends to a debt-driven expansion that was neither robust nor sustainable.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072/ns/business

The entire article is rather sobering but mostly sad. Have-more centered policies trickling down.

PostPosted: 01/02/10 5:59 am • # 14 
[b wrote:
oskar576[/b]]The US won't be recovering any time soon, IMO. Y'all will be lucky to hold your own over the next decade let alone regain your position as Numero Uno - a fallacy that has come to light in recent years.
oscar

Your quite right about that, and I don't believe that we can expect to start getting better until very late 2012 and then we have a huge hole to dig out of and that will take most of the decade...

PostPosted: 01/02/10 6:16 am • # 15 
Administrator

Nothing [other than death] is forever ~ and hindsight is always 20/20 ~ while reality is important, IMO the consistently negative attitudes play a significant role in stock market performance ~ we need to learn from and correct our mistakes, but I far prefer to focus on the fact that 2009 was the best year for overall stock market performance since 2003 ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/02/10 6:38 am • # 16 
[b wrote:
sooz08[/b]]Nothing [other than death] is forever ~ and hindsight is always 20/20 ~ while reality is important, IMO the consistently negative attitudes play a significant role in stock market performance ~ we need to learn from and correct our mistakes, but I far prefer to focus on the fact that 2009 was the best year for overall stock market performance since 2003 ~

Sooz
Sooz

It sure was the best and you could make a lot of money as I indicated earlier, since it was a continuous upward movement with small gaps in between... I just wonder if this can continue with the unemployment rate so high and not much of any jobs for the Millions of unemployed... It has been over a year since this government dispensed so much money for the infrastructure...

PostPosted: 01/02/10 8:55 am • # 17 
Administrator

sooz08 wrote:
Nothing [other than death] is forever ~ and hindsight is always 20/20 ~ while reality is important, IMO the consistently negative attitudes play a significant role in stock market performance ~ we need to learn from and correct our mistakes, but I far prefer to focus on the fact that 2009 was the best year for overall stock market performance since 2003 ~

Sooz
So what if it's costing y'all your wealth as a nation?

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply