It is currently 04/28/24 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/01/10 4:26 pm • # 26 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:
And the major party nominting processes don't do anything to keep minor party candidates from being elected President - that's their own doing.

it absolutely does. it draws focus and saps energy away from third party movements, gop.

you know, i could go into a lot of detail about how all of this works, but i don't want to talk down to you. you know it. i know it.

PostPosted: 01/01/10 4:32 pm • # 27 
Feel free to go into detail, as I love detailed discussions of the electoral process and our electoral system. I can guarantee you that you won't be "talking down" to me. The reverse may well not be true, though. Image

PostPosted: 01/01/10 6:21 pm • # 28 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:
Feel free to go into detail, as I love detailed discussions of the electoral process and our electoral system. I can guarantee you that you won't be "talking down" to me. The reverse may well not be true, though. Image

i am not sure how much better i am with that, but i acknowledge that you are far more experienced in this area than me, right off the bat.

let me tell you what i observed this last year. the best two candidates, imo, in terms of ideas that would be BENEFICIAL to our nation in crisis were Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich. those two candidates were ROUTINELY marginalized by the media, ridiculted for being idiots (which they are not- they are very educated, thoughtful people who DISERVE to have their voices heard, imo). hell, even MIKE GRAVEL had interesting things to say, and diserved to be heard. he was not.

furthermore, the beauty contests disguised as debates were geared to absolutely marginalize dissenting non-mainstream points of view. the format, the questions, and, as the process wore on, the lack of participants that lacked the "consensus view" were striking in BOTH major parties. these candidate-infomercials do NOTHING to elucidate the basic principles of candidates, and instead whore them to the lowest common denominator in the manner of Hanes underwear or Budweiser.

and finally, the fact that the primary race is geared around the two dominant parties, with a disproportionately small amount of time given to alternative opinions, rebuttal, or anything resembing NON mainstream views (which, i can assure you, are held by far more than the 2% that vote that way) sanctifies the status quo rather than challenging it.

now that i have said all of that, i should add that this IS a republic, and that this IS how it is supposed to function. i am actually not criticizing it, anymore than i would criticize the ocean for being wet. it is simply how things are. however, if you expect me to say that this is anything close to a participatory democracy in the sense that the term is generally thought, you are gravely mistaken. this is a system which elevates consensus view which is geared toward unquestioning media and mass marketing, and eschews all other viewpoints, and it is very efficient. brutally so if you are a Ron Paul or Kucinich voter.

now please, don't give me that crap about these men "not catching political fire". that might work for Giuliani, who was given EVERY OPPORTUNITY to express his (largely provincial and milquetoast) beliefs without being ridiculed for them. that CANNOT be said for these other candidates, and THAT is the problem. this dangerous incestuousness is a marvelous defense for the status quo, but is as unhealthy to the long term success of our nation as inbreeding and monoculture is to plant biology.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ] New Topic Add Reply