It is currently 06/18/24 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
 Post subject: Too Big To Fail?
PostPosted: 01/04/10 11:23 am • # 1 
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/01/04/dubai-tall-tower-burj.html

Click on the link for video. You can say what you want about Dubai, but this is impressive.

PostPosted: 01/04/10 12:15 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

I hope it's too big to fall.

PostPosted: 01/04/10 12:18 pm • # 3 
It's solid "continuous pour" concrete - a construction system pioneered by the now-second tallest building in the world - the CN Tower in Toronto Ontario.

PostPosted: 01/04/10 2:29 pm • # 4 
That's one hell of a phallic symbol.

PostPosted: 01/04/10 2:37 pm • # 5 
glitterypickles539 wrote:
That's one hell of a phallic symbol.

It's all in the eye of the beholder, and I guess now we know what's in your eye. Image

PostPosted: 01/04/10 2:44 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Another bit of trivia ~ this building was designed by Skidmore Owings & Merrill here in Chicago ~ Skidmore has designed [I think] 5 of the 10 tallest buildings in the world, including the now Willis [formerly Sears] Tower here in Chicago ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/04/10 2:50 pm • # 7 
Chicago has some of the greatest architecture on earth - When my wife and I visited there a few years ago, we did an impromptu architectural tour of the loop and the surrounding area. I had never paid that much attention to architectural styles, so didn't know much before we started, but learned a lot on that trip. I would say Skidmore should be very proud of their work.

PostPosted: 01/04/10 3:27 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Glad you enjoyed it, gop ~ obviously I'm prejudiced, but I still marvel at the varied architecture and lakefront skyline ~ if you're ever here again between May and September, take the Chicago Architectural Foundation's boat tour on the Chicago River thru downtown ~ it is spectacular ~ as is the architecture on the University of Chicago campus in Hyde Park ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/04/10 3:45 pm • # 9 
We went on the boat tour as an opening introduction to the architecture, and then used a book on Chicago architecture that we bought before the trip. It was a great tour - they really did an excellent job. We were there for Memorial Day weekend in 2005 or 2006 - Had a wonderful time - I think it is probably my second favorite city (how appropriate!) after Washington, DC.

PostPosted: 01/04/10 4:04 pm • # 10 
Administrator

I'm SO glad that's the tour you took ~ isn't it fantastic? ~ I take it every summer, and even withOUT out-of-town guests ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/04/10 4:44 pm • # 11 
It was great - The views of the city from the river are fantastic - The different perspective from being on the ground gives you a totally different appreciation for how the architects envisioned the buildings and the way they look together. I would do it again in a flash. I have to go back and find the photos I took as we went along - the way the buildings appear against each other is as interesting as each building is by itself.

PostPosted: 01/04/10 4:56 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

The Chicago River???? Is it a walking tour?

PostPosted: 01/05/10 5:18 am • # 13 
Administrator

LOL, jim ~ you should never believe everything you hear/read ~ while there are still pockets that need more work, the mega millions of dollars for river clean-up has been well spent and is VERY evident ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/05/10 6:34 am • # 14 
Editorialist

I haven't been there since the mid-sixties, Sooz. At the time it was not one of the major tourist attractions. In fact, didn't it actually catch fie one time.

PostPosted: 01/05/10 7:18 am • # 15 
Administrator

LOL ~ yes, it did catch fire once ~ that's when river clean-up became a priority issue ~ the problem was that decades ago, there was a lot of industry on the riverbanks that indiscriminately dumped waste and byproducts into the river ~ those industrial sites have all been reclaimed, cleaned up, and replaced with mega-dollar homes ~ the river boat tour gop and I mentioned wends its way thru the West Loop/downtown area and eventually feeds into Lake Michigan ~ it's also the path for boats traveling to/from drydock to/from the downtown Lake Michigan marinas [separate marinas for sail vs motor boats] ~

Chicago will likely never lose its antiquated reputation for mobsters and dirty politics ~ but those haven't been "hallmarks" for years and years, no matter what some still believe ~ Chicago is a big city but with midwestern values and sensibilities ~ its architecture, arts/music/cultural venues, restaurants, educational facilities are second to none ~ and you can travel virtually around the world exploring neighborhoods ~ any time you and Bfly want to come visit, I volunteer to be your tour guide ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/05/10 10:22 am • # 16 
Jeez... you've almost got me convinced to go.

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply