It is currently 06/18/24 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/10/10 6:01 am • # 1 

I got this email from my sister:

Quote:
Hi Dave,

I haven't felt much like talking the past week. Remember the stallion and his son that I sold last winter? Well the woman had so much trouble at the barn that she moved them to that she decided to move them back close to me. A friend of mine boards horses ... and not more than 5 days... when it happened..... seems the son... kicked his dad ...just playing ...I guess they were happy to be out of the other place. But... the stud was standing on all his legs..(not trotting) when bam... his son kicked out and hit Lucky with both back hooves ...right on Luckys one front left leg. He broke the big leg bone just above the knee and shattered the knee too. So the poor guy had to be put down !! God that's a hard one to understand. We were all a mess. So upsetting. I really feel for the owner. I just loved that horse... and just like when we lost Cookie (out little dog) ... why do these things happen?

No reason....

PostPosted: 01/10/10 6:04 am • # 2 
I still have trouble with my dog Chewy's death, and she died two years ago.

Why this happens is that most domestic animals have life spans shorter than ours and we loved them.

We let them into our hearts and care for them and then we grieve them when they die. It's part of our humanity.

PostPosted: 01/10/10 6:36 am • # 3 
Administrator

Sad story, Sid ~ I too know how much it hurts to lose an animal we love ~ and Kathy describes the "why" perfectly ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/10/10 7:30 am • # 4 
Editorialist

Awwww....how sad. It's one thing when a loved one ( human or critter) is sick or something and you can sort of prepare yourself for the end, but when it comes out of the blue like this it's much harder. At least I think so.

Poor colt must be confused, too.

PostPosted: 01/10/10 7:45 am • # 5 
Kathy... I agree totally. We love our animal friends knowing full well that they will be leaving us, but that doesn't relieve the pain when they depart. Something like this is a little different in that it was so sudden and accidental. I guess that's what makes it all the more difficult to cope with.

Chaos... I was thinking the exact same thing when I read my sister's email. I feel sorry for the young animal. He must be terribly confused. When Billy's friend Shelly died, it took weeks for the both of us to recover. It was revealing to witness how one little animal could fill up so much space, and how empty that space becomes once they leave us.

PostPosted: 01/10/10 12:44 pm • # 6 
Sometimes they mean so much to us because they give us the opportunity to be better than we are.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply