It is currently 05/13/24 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 74 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/14/10 4:21 am • # 26 
oskar576 wrote:
It doesn't change the fact that she's a natural leader, though.

Gimme a freaking break. She's the product of Madison Avenue hype. Of course, one could say Brittany Spears is a "natural leader" in much the same way. Only dumbasses would consider that twit some kind of "leader"... well, maybe lemmings would follow her.
I was typing a reply to my throwing up over that comment and deleted it all, but I think your reply will suffice.

PostPosted: 01/14/10 5:09 am • # 27 
IMO, Palin is a simple minded doofus once she opens her mouth.

PostPosted: 01/14/10 5:18 am • # 28 
Administrator

To me, Sarah Palin plays to, appeals to, and is revered by, the lowest common denominator ~ and she refuses to take responsibility for her own comments, "misinterpretations/misunderstandings", and actions ~ all because of what I see as her core dishonesty ~ she is not well educated, which is not a fatal flaw in itself ~ but her self-image and ego and hunger for the limelight are her driving forces ~ and along the way she dumped any personal integrity she may have once had ~ if she is viewed as a "leader" by some, those some are in deeper denial and trouble than I sensed ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/14/10 5:21 am • # 29 
Editorialist

Schmidt is even being very self-serving about it, at he criticizes her on some levels, and then says that McCain would have lost by a bigger margin if Palin had not been on the ticket. So he ends up patting himself on the back for selecting her, while trashing her as an excuse and damaging her reputation so he will have an easier target in the future if he's working on a campaign where she's an opponent.

I wonder if it's true that he would have lost by a bigger margin without Palin. Certainly she appealed to a certain segment of conservative voters, but they probably would have voted for McCain in any event. At the same time, though, she and the hype surrounding her probably alienated a lot of more moderate voters who chose Obama over her whereas they may have gone with McCain had he appointed a less buffoonish running mate. I know she certainly alienated me. Until she got rolling I was rooting for McCain because, while Obama was obviously going to provide a more interesting (in the Confucius sense) presidency, McCain would have been more stable.

I agree she has leadership abilities but they are limited to those who already share her beliefs. I've seen no indication of an ability on her part to convince anyone who is not already marching on her path to join her. In that respect she is no different than Joe the Plumber. Fortune put her in the position where she could become the focal point for people with certain belief systems. Absent that fortune she probably would have remained a nobody.

PostPosted: 01/14/10 5:33 am • # 30 
Administrator

jimwilliam wrote:
I agree she has leadership abilities but they are limited to those who already share her beliefs. I've seen no indication of an ability on her part to convince anyone who is not already marching on her path to join her. In that respect she is no different than Joe the Plumber. Fortune put her in the position where she could become the focal point for people with certain belief systems. Absent that fortune she probably would have remained a nobody.

Interesting comment, jim ~ I read somewhere, I think yesterday, that signing on with Fox is not necessarily the smartest move for her ~ I don't see her "winning" anything without widely broadening her "appeal" beyond the very limited range she now enjoys ~ and since Fox viewers are mostly already fans, she is not likely to find new support there ~ I am convinced she's in it for the money and adulation ~ she has proven she no real interest in governing ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/14/10 6:31 am • # 31 
Administrator

Dee wrote:
IMO, Palin is a simple minded doofus once she opens her mouth.
That's just it for her loyal fans. They can identify with her and don't have to fear someone with a slightly higher intelligence.

PostPosted: 01/14/10 6:35 am • # 32 
Administrator

~ she has proven she no real interest in governing ~

Soundbite alert!

She's a quitter and we are "bitter". Image

PostPosted: 01/14/10 8:18 am • # 33 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:
sooz08 wrote:
Interestingly, my local 500pm news showed clips of Palin on last night's "debut" ~ a couple of times, when she was refuting comments in Game Change by saying "that's a lie" or "that's crap", she lowered her eyes so that she was looking at her hands ~ generally, that is considered body language for "LIE" ~ there's no question that the McCain campaign staff had problems with Palin ~ but they gain nothing by lying about her ~ and she gains PLENTY by refuting their comments ~ Sarah Palin is no more a populist than is Rush Limbaugh, and especially not now that she's had a taste of "stardom" and big money ~

Sooz

Managers of failed campaigns are famous for looking for other places to put the blame for the loss. Steve Schmidt is working to protect his own brand for future campaign seasons. It's a pretty common tactic, as a campaign consultant who gains a reputation for running campaigns into the ground and making bad strategic decisions quickly finds themselves running campaigns for dogcatcher, if they are running campaigns at all. They will find blame everywhere but in themselves. They have everything to gain by doing it.

Schmidt is even being very self-serving about it, at he criticizes her on some levels, and then says that McCain would have lost by a bigger margin if Palin had not been on the ticket. So he ends up patting himself on the back for selecting her, while trashing her as an excuse and damaging her reputation so he will have an easier target in the future if he's working on a campaign where she's an opponent.

that is an interesting interpretation, but i don't share it. SS didn't actually criticize her work on the campaign trail- which is what he is responsible for. he didn't actually say WHO was responsible for her actually taking the 1:1 interviews, or the results thereof. nor did he assume responsibility for anything she has said or done since she lost. nor should he.

PostPosted: 01/14/10 2:25 pm • # 34 
kathyk1024 wrote:
gop - It's not bitter, and it is impressive to see that you've stooped to shera's level so maybe she's a natural leader too.

Bitter is the correct word. You pressed the elevator button for the "shera level" so you shouldn't expect everyone else to remain at a higher level. Image

PostPosted: 01/14/10 2:35 pm • # 35 
oskar576 wrote:
It doesn't change the fact that she's a natural leader, though.

Gimme a freaking break. She's the product of Madison Avenue hype. Of course, one could say Brittany Spears is a "natural leader" in much the same way. Only dumbasses would consider that twit some kind of "leader"... well, maybe lemmings would follow her.

All politicians are the product of PR hype. Just look at our current President.

She was able to rise to the level of being a Governor, something that few people have the leadership skills to do. You may not like her but you can't deny that she was able to galvanize people in support of her on her way to becoming a Governor.

You're all really getting overwrought unnecessarily, as your target is very possibly never going to run for public office again. In the meantime, she will be sharing airtime with Keith Olbermann, and both will be spouting their views in their own echo chambers.

PostPosted: 01/14/10 3:19 pm • # 36 
This is really making me crack up. People can say things about her or ask questions about her that would be considered sexist if asked of another like where is her disabled baby while she's at FOX. What? Her job should be at home in the kitchen? I'm also not sure I'd want to admit that a person who is "dumb as a stump" can so easily pull my strings. It was interesting that Shera was mentioned. I've never been in her group. I have seen how people are so obsessed with her. So, I would say gop is right, Palin does have leadership qualities. So does Shera. A lot of people spend a lot of time hating them. So, you are doing exactly what they want. Have to give them credit for the power they hold.

Palin does have some appeal whether you agree with her or not. She's not going away and the more liberals hate her, the more repubs will like her. She's an important component in the war going on with the conservatives right now.

PostPosted: 01/14/10 3:33 pm • # 37 
Administrator

gop, I don't believe for a nanosecond that Sarah Palin could/would have been able to "rise to the level of being a Governor" any place other than Alaska ~ I don't see myself or others here as "overwrought" ~ my deep dislike of her is NOT because she is an R ~ there are plenty of competent R women that I can and do respect ~ my deep dislike for Palin is exactly what I stated above ~ she "... plays to, appeals to, and is revered by, the lowest common denominator ~ and she refuses to take responsibility for her own comments, "misinterpretations/misunderstandings", and actions ~ all because of what I see as her core dishonesty ~ she is not well educated, which is not a fatal flaw in itself ~ but her self-image and ego and hunger for the limelight are her driving forces ~ and along the way she dumped any personal integrity she may have once had" ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/14/10 4:18 pm • # 38 
Editorialist

This is really making me crack up. People can say things about her or ask questions about her that would be considered sexist if asked of another like where is her disabled baby while she's at FOX. What? Her job should be at home in the kitchen?

if i had a disabled baby an unwed daughter living at home, i would not travel 4,000 miles to suck up to Rupert Murdoch. but i am not criticizing her unless i know for a FACT that she has abandoned them to seek her personal fortune in the big city. that is why i was asking.

So, I would say gop is right, Palin does have leadership qualities. So does Shera. A lot of people spend a lot of time hating them. So, you are doing exactly what they want. Have to give them credit for the power they hold.

i think you are mistaking leadership for either the ability to entertain, or maybe for cautionary tales. neither have any power over me that extends further than my remote.

Palin does have some appeal whether you agree with her or not.

now THAT i agree with. i find her fairly bizarre, and really cute.

She's not going away and the more liberals hate her, the more repubs will like her. She's an important component in the war going on with the conservatives right now.

agree, and i pray fervently to the same God she does that she will split the loons out of the party and leave the rational centrists to create a better future for the GOP.

Last edited by macroscopic on 01/14/10 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01/14/10 4:24 pm • # 39 
You know, sometimes fathers take care of their kids when the mother works. There are also grandparents etc that can help when she can't take the baby with her. I don't think you would have asked the same question of a man.

Praying to an imagnary friend won't accomplish anything. People who care need to work to make the Repub party what it should be.

PostPosted: 01/14/10 4:28 pm • # 40 
Editorialist

and she refuses to take responsibility for her own comments, "misinterpretations/misunderstandings", and actions

you can add COMMITMENTS to that. she has quit three colleges, one governing board, and her governership. how that demonstrates leadership is beyond me, but somehow, her minions don't seem to see it that way.

PostPosted: 01/14/10 4:29 pm • # 41 
Editorialist

sooz, i think she has found her calling. seriously. entertainment is where she started, what she trained in, and where she has finished up.

on another board, after she quit her governership, i said that this would be the perfect job for her: FOX News anchor. i still feel that way.

PostPosted: 01/14/10 4:39 pm • # 42 
Editorialist

You know, sometimes fathers take care of their kids when the mother works.

i spend two days a week doing just that. so.....um.....yeah- i guess i DO know that.

There are also grandparents etc that can help when she can't take the baby with her. I don't think you would have asked the same question of a man.

well, i most certainly would, because i happen to think that kids need fathers, too.

Praying to an imagnary friend won't accomplish anything.

that is a matter of opinion. it is one shared neither by me nor by Palin.

People who care need to work to make the Repub party what it should be.

yep. and Palin is doing more than her share right now, and i thank her for it.

PostPosted: 01/14/10 4:42 pm • # 43 
lol

PostPosted: 01/14/10 4:58 pm • # 44 
Editorialist

so, just to be clear Katy- do you think it is OK for a celebrity like Palin to fly off to glamville and leave their special needs infant and four siblings, and their out of wedlock grandkid to the care of the other parent for extended periods of time?

PostPosted: 01/14/10 5:16 pm • # 45 

I think it's horrible for any parent to have to be away from their kids, regardless of occupation, whether it be people in the military or entertainers or politicians or whatever. Palin has a right to her job and that will include being away from the children at times. I don't know how often she can take them with her or what arrangements she makes. I do NOT think you would have asked the same question of a man. Her husband would leave for extended periods of time to do his job. I believe one of the siblings is risking his life overseas right now. I'm sure she would love to be able to take care of him at home. I don't understand your need to keep repeating out of wedlock. A child is a child. I'm not sure how extended a period of time she will be away from them. We have couples who both go to war and leave their kids for extended periods of time. Other entertaners do it a lot. I won't judge her for being away at times. I still respect the way they handled the daughter and her pregnancy, not forcing her to marry and supporting her. I don't see that the kids are suffering for it.

So, would I do it, nope. Will I judge her for doing it, nope.

There are a lot of people who do even worse and see their kids so much less. Guess you're equally pissed at them?

Edit to make a comment. Mac when you dice and slice my posts the way you do, I never can tell whether you read the whole post through first. That can make a big difference. Thanks

PostPosted: 01/14/10 5:37 pm • # 46 
Editorialist

I think it's horrible for any parent to have to be away from their kids, regardless of occupation, whether it be people in the military or entertainers or politicians or whatever.

i think it is pretty much wrong, and i have a hard time finding sympathy for it. but i understand that lots of people do it with varying degrees of success. i think what makes this case more puzzling is that we are not talking about one kid being left with a loving parent. we are talking about six.

furthermore, my son wanted little to do with me before he turned two, so i DO think that Ms. Palin has a higher obligation as a mother of a special needs infant. but then again, my son would not bottlefeed, and had no use of his left arm as an infant, so that my just be my own hangup. perhaps in other families, the infant children glom onto dad just fine. i didn't have that experience, so perhaps you are right. maybe i am projecting here.

I do NOT think you would have asked the same question of a man.

i am sorry you think so little of me. i know a lot of men in the entertainment business who do exactly this thing, and i consider them miserable failures as fathers. i also think they are missing out, because there is nothing more amazing than watching an infant grow up. and you can't get that one back. but you can be a rock star at age 70, if you live right.

Her husband would leave for extended periods of time to do his job. I believe one of the siblings is risking his life overseas right now. I'm sure she would love to be able to take care of him at home. I don't understand your need to keep repeating out of wedlock.

it was not a need, it was a desire. are you asking me why i stated it? it is because i think if she were more present in that home, less focused on being some sort of savior for the GOP or the religious right or whatever she is, however she thinks of herself, she might have been able to give some helpful discouragement, if you know what i mean. and no, that is really none of my business. it is just part of the fascination, and something that makes me very sad for her.

So, would I do it, nope. Will I judge her for doing it, nope.

then you are a better person than i. i might feel differently if she didn't spend so much time shaming others. but should i follow that example? probably not.

There are a lot of people who do even worse and see their kids so much less. Guess you're equally pissed at them?

you betcha. ultimately, i don't give two s(*ts about Sarah Palin. she has no more impact on me than the prime minister of Swaziland. there are people much closer to me that are detached fathers, and for them i have a special seething rage that borders on pure hatred. mostly Ms. Palin is just puzzling and amusing- and also a bit sad.

Edit to make a comment. Mac when you dice and slice my posts the way you do, I never can tell whether you read the whole post through first. That can make a big difference. Thanks

i am not exactly sure what you are saying- but i try to treat responses like a dialogue, so i can respond to specific points. would you rather i just didn't reply? i won't if you wish.

Last edited by macroscopic on 01/14/10 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01/14/10 5:43 pm • # 47 
Editorialist

Katy- thanks for the cordial discussion, btw. i need to supervise my son's homework now. goodnight.

PostPosted: 01/14/10 6:00 pm • # 48 
Well, mac that isn't the only two choices. You could handle mine like you handle the others' and read the whole thing and then respond. If I have to choose between the two you listed, yeah, not answering works for me if I don't know you read the whole post first.

PostPosted: 01/14/10 6:11 pm • # 49 
Editorialist

Katy51 wrote:
Well, mac that isn't the only two choices. You could handle mine like you handle the others' and read the whole thing and then respond. If I have to choose between the two you listed, yeah, not answering works for me if I don't know you read the whole post first.

i am not sure it will have any impact, Katy, but sure. i will always read your entire post before responding from now on. ok- back to my son......

PostPosted: 01/14/10 6:36 pm • # 50 

lol. nevermind, mac. I'll just ignore your posts if it appears you didn't really read my posts. Simple enough.

I'm sorry, lol. For some reason, I find it amusing that you interrupted doing homework with your son to respond, especially during this particular discussion. It's just me.

So, who do you and gop think would be the leaders of the Repub party of your dreams?

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 74 posts ] New Topic Add Reply