It is currently 05/12/24 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: OT: Debt solutions
PostPosted: 01/13/10 4:18 am • # 1 
My daughter went through a nasty divorce over a year ago...she got the house, and the debt as well. I didn't know how bad it was till Christmas but she used her credit cards to pay for too much and now is in over her head. We've helped her as much as we can but there's limits, and she brought up these credit/debt solution companies. I know nothing about them, have done some research and I'm not convinced she should go that route. Does anyone here have any info?? I don't want to steer her into something that will make things worse and from what I'm reading on reviews on some of these companies the results are a mixed bag.

PostPosted: 01/13/10 4:50 am • # 2 
The only thing I can offer is that she do her "due dilligence" and research before she makes a move. There may be "not-for-profit" organizations that can help and I suspect they'd be the better bet because they don't have a profit motive running in the background.

PostPosted: 01/13/10 4:52 am • # 3 
Administrator

Hawkeye, I have a very hazy recollection of reading somewhere that the best of those programs is one from either the fed or state government ~ I do remember clearly reading some time ago that MANY of the programs are, at best, bogus ~ I'm going to call a friend at my former firm [major law firm] and see if he can at least guide your research ~ I'll post here again after I have some solid info ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/13/10 4:56 am • # 4 
Administrator

BTW, I'm thinking she should immediately contact her creditors and explain her situation ~ sometimes they themselves are willing to work out better terms ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/13/10 7:33 am • # 5 
[b wrote:
sooz08[/b]]Hawkeye, I have a very hazy recollection of reading somewhere that the best of those programs is one from either the fed or state government ~ I do remember clearly reading some time ago that MANY of the programs are, at best, bogus ~ I'm going to call a friend at my former firm [major law firm] and see if he can at least guide your research ~ I'll post here again after I have some solid info ~

Sooz

LOL....I just had that gut feel about this...evidently everyone else has as well. I don't think she'll be calling at least one company, they hire call centers from India and have no authority from what she was saying...btw judging from just how pissed she was, I don't think talking to someone who identifies himself as "Sam" with a very thick accent will be of much help.
I know I know.....global companies operate other then the vacuum of America.....but doesn't it gall anyone that TARP funds help pay for it??

PostPosted: 01/13/10 7:47 am • # 6 
Administrator

Hawkeye, I'm still waiting for a callback from my friend ~ but take a look here for some good advice re what to look for and, more importantly, what to avoid ~ http://www.consumeraffairs.com/debt_cou ... eling.html ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/13/10 9:25 am • # 7 
I used a consumer credit counseling service many years back when I had my own problems with too much debt. The good ones will help you come up with a workable repayment plan for each of your creditors and negotiate with your them to either significantly reduce or eliminate entirely the interest you're required to pay on each account. Generally, you make a payment to the CCCS each month and they disperse it to your creditors. The CCCS will charge a flat monthly fee (in my case it was about $24.00 per month) which is included in your monthly payment. The goal is to help you get the debts paid off within a few years. Oh, and you have to stop using your credit cards of course.

It doesn't hurt to try working things out with your creditors first but based on my own experience, it was a waste of time. You would think they would want you to continue paying, even if they payments have to be reduced for awhile but no. I submitted a letter to all my creditors explaining why I was in the hole and asking to be allowed to make smaller payments until I was in a better financial state. I gave them a breakdown of my income and monthly expenses and offered to supply any additional information they wanted. I received only two replies - both were outright denials.

Good luck and hope this helps.

PostPosted: 01/13/10 10:46 am • # 8 
Bankruptcy law is a lot different in Canada than the US but that aside, I went through it about a decade ago and it was actually kinda funny (if you can believe that...). My bankrupcy trustee asked if I still had any cash withdrawls I could make and as it turned out there was enough on one card to pay him. So... off to the ATM, get the cash - maxing out the card, back to the trustee's office, make the payment, hand over the card. He cut it up and put the pieces in one of those industrial-sized glass mayonaise jars, already close to full of other pieces from all the other people who have done the same thing. The collector's calls stopped immediately.

PostPosted: 01/13/10 1:42 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

I've actually learned alot about all this very recently. Sid's right in that bankruptcy works differently in the US than it does here in Canada, but if your daughter is in the position where her debts are larger than her assets, it does make sense. It isn't a life sentence, and can help get you back on your feet and in a position to start earning and saving again pretty quickly. In Canada anyway, any LIRA's or locked in pensions from employers are protected from bankruptcy and creditors, so it doesn't necessarily mean restarting from zero.

If she isn't in that position, then she can take a look at the position she is in. Does she own a home? Is her mortgage in arrears? If it is, banks are willing to renegotiate mortgages. Banks really don't like foreclosing--they aren't in the business of owning homes, and homes empty and full of junk don't sell well. They just want their money--if they think they're more likely to get it from you than foreclosing, they'll work with you. If there's equity in the house, then a private second mortgage could secure that a loan from family got repaid before any credit card companies, and get the arrears caught up at least long enough to get the house fixed up and sold properly.

Credit cards are another story. They are unsecured loans, and cannot attack assets without serving civil suit. The exeption to that is any credit cards held with the bank you have accounts with can make minimum payment withdrawls against your wishes straight from your account if you're behind (I know--this just happened to me. For instance--if you have a TD bank account and a TD visa in arrears.) But they can't lien a home without serving civil suit (at least here in Canada) and after that you've got about 3 weeks to respond. If the credit cards can see, by doing a credit report on your daughter, that she is deep in debt and in danger of going bankrupt, they are likely to deal for a partial payment and close the account. It's better than the nothing they'll get if you go belly up, or, frankly, the legal fees it would cost them to sue.

Credit counselling is something that's available through many employer counselling services, and counselling is just that--advice only. No commitments or payments to anyone. It might be a good place to start, if such a thing is available for her.

Tell her good luck.

PostPosted: 01/14/10 2:09 pm • # 10 
Oh man GA...if she filed she might lose the house, wind-up making a nest in my family room and I'd never see my 50" Sony ever again (through all the bra's, undies, etc). I'm going to look into a CCCS and see if I can pick-up on a local one for her to go see. If they can leave her enough to live on that may be the way to go...thanks all. Image

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply