It is currently 04/28/24 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 33 posts ]
PostPosted: 04/23/10 10:23 am • # 26 
Administrator

Here's an update ~ there's got to be more to this story because the question has been asked, and answered, at least dozens of times ~ the only ground for rejecting the repeated answer is that Lakin doesn't like it ~ Sooz

Court Martial Charges Brought Against Birther Army Doc
Justin Elliott | April 23, 2010, 9:21AM

Formal court martial charges have been brought against Lt. Col. Terrence Lakin, the Army doctor who believes President Obama may not be a natural born citizen, for failing to follow orders, the military said today.

Lakin was charged Thursday "with one specification of a violation of Article 87, Missing Movement and four specifications of a violation of Article 92 (three specifications of Failure to Obey a Lawful Order, and one Specification of Dereliction of Duty)," said Chuck Dasey, spokesman at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, where Lakin is assigned.

The court martial is likely to raise the prominence of what is already a cause célèbre among Birther adherents.

Late last month, Lakin released a YouTube video in which he explained that he would not report for a second tour in Afghanistan until Obama proves he is a citizen. A couple of weeks later, the Army announced he was under investigation.

In a press release issued today by the American Patriot Foundation, which is raising money for Lakin's defense, he waxed heroic:

"I invited my court martial, and today I stand ready to answer these charges. I was prepared to deploy if only the President would authorize the release of the proof of his eligibility. He refused, and now the court will determine the issue, and my fate. The constitution matters. The truth matters," he said.

Lakin and his attorney, Paul Jensen, have been making the rounds on right-wing radio shows in recent days. On the G. Gordon Liddy show last week, Jensen hinted that he would try to use discovery to compel Obama to produce a birth certificate.

You can read the charging document, which was released by the American Patriot Foundation, here.

Here's the full statement from Dasey on the process that will now unfold:

Quote:
On Thursday, April 22, the Medical Center Brigade Headquarters Company Commander preferred charges against LTC Terrence Lakin pursuant to the Uniform Code of Military Justice. LTC Lakin was charged with one specification of a violation of Article 87, Missing Movement and four specifications of a violation of Article 92 (three specifications of Failure to Obey a Lawful Order, and one Specification of Dereliction of Duty).

Following the preferral of charges, and service of the charges on LTC Lakin, the Medical Center Brigade Headquarters Company Commander forwarded the charges to the Acting Medical Center Brigade Commander with a recommendation to dispose of the charges at a General Court-Martial. The Acting Medical Center Brigade Commander, in her capacity as the Summary Court Convening Authority, directed the appointment of an Article 32, UCMJ pre-trial investigation to inquire into the truth of the matters set forth in the charges and to secure information to determine what disposition should be made of the case in the interest of justice and discipline.

The date for the Article 32 investigation has not been set. Upon receipt of appointment orders, The Article 32 Investigating officer will establish a hearing date.

Link

PostPosted: 12/15/10 3:18 am • # 27 
Administrator

I still believe there has to be more to this story ~ even marginally-rational people just don't intentionally kiss-off their life's work [both prior and future] ~ Sooz

By [url=/author/Ben]Ben Armbruster[/url] on Dec 14th, 2010 at 6:35 pm
Birther Army Doc Who Refused To Serve Pleads Guilty, Faces Up To Three Years In Prison

Earlier this year, Lt. Col. Terrence Lakin, an 17-year Army veteran, refused to report for duty at Fort Campbell, KY because he said his orders emanated from an illegal President who is not a natural born U.S. citizen. As such, Lakin said he had “no choiceâ€

PostPosted: 12/15/10 3:26 am • # 28 
Editorialist

Wanna bet he runs for office as a Tea Bagger?

PostPosted: 12/15/10 3:41 am • # 29 
Editorialist

This reminds me of when hubby and I went to get a marriage license. I had my signed and properly state sealed divorce papers. They wanted to see a "certificate of divorce". Huh? Alabama doesn't have those. It took many calls, some faxing of documents to the "powers that be" before we could be issued a marriage license. ALL of this on the afternoon of the day before we were getting married. Sigh. I thought hubby was going to explode. I was just in tears, rofl.

Tomayto.....tomahto It's a bunch of BS

PostPosted: 12/15/10 4:27 am • # 30 
Administrator

Chaos333 wrote:
Wanna bet he runs for office as a Tea Bagger?
He might as well. He'll be a brown-bagger soon enough.

PostPosted: 12/15/10 5:33 am • # 31 
Editorialist

Stars and Stripes reports that a group of about 30 birthers attended Lakin's hearing, carrying signs that read “usurperâ€

PostPosted: 12/15/10 5:44 am • # 32 
Administrator

[quote="macroscopic"]

Stars and Stripes reports that a group of about 30 birthers attended Lakin's hearing, carrying signs that read “usurperâ€

PostPosted: 12/16/10 11:23 am • # 33 
Administrator

While the financial penalty of being dismissed from the service is significant, being sentenced to 6 months in a military brig is much lighter than I thought it would or should be ~ Sooz

Army doctor who refused to deploy gets 6 months
He questioned President Barack Obama's eligibility to be commander in chief

NBC News and news services
updated 2 hours 37 minutes ago 2010-12-16T21:37:49

An Army doctor who disobeyed orders to deploy to Afghanistan because he questioned President Barack Obama's eligibility to be commander in chief has been sentenced to six months in a military prison and will be dismissed from the Army.

A military jury sentenced Lt. Col. Terrence Lakin on Thursday after three days of court-martial proceedings.

Before sentencing, Lakin had been found guilty of missing a flight that would have gotten him to his eventual deployment.

He also pleaded guilty to disobeying orders to meet with a superior and to report to deploy to Afghanistan.

Besides his sentence, Lakin will pay a potentially heavy financial price.

At 18 years in the Army he was two years short of retirement, which over the course of a lifetime could have added up to an estimated $2 million in retirement pay and benefits, according to NBC News.

In videos posted on YouTube earlier this year, Lakin aligned himself with the so-called "birther" movement, which questions whether Obama is a natural-born citizen as the U.S. Constitution requires for presidents.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/...us_news-crime_and_courts

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 33 posts ] New Topic Add Reply