It is currently 06/01/24 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/12/10 3:51 am • # 1 
Administrator

Cindy McCain seems to have found her voice and her conscience since the 2008 campaign ~ I'm guessing daughter Meghan's activism helped light the way ~ Sooz

THAT OUGHT TO BE A FUN DINNER TABLE.... The repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" would actually be pretty easy at this point, were it not for the efforts of one man: Sen. John McCain (R). The anti-gay Arizonan has spearheaded the opposition to repeal, and has so far succeeded in protecting the discriminatory status quo and ensuring the mistreatment of American servicemen and women (even if that means lying about the policy).

This week, McCain's efforts picked up a new, high-profile critic -- who just happens to be his wife.

Quote:

Sen. John McCain's wife Cindy appears in a new ad that harshly criticizes the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy, and government officials and religious leaders generally, over what she and others describe as complicity in the bullying that has led to a rash of highly-publicized suicides among gay youth. [...]

In the ad from the NOH8 campaign -- an activist group formed in response to Proposition 8, the California ballot measure that banned same-sex marriage -- Cindy McCain seems to be suggesting that her husband is partly responsible for the bullying that has claimed a number of gay teens' lives.

"Our political and religious leaders tell LGBT youth that they have no future," Mrs. McCain says in the ad, which features her alongside celebrities such as Denise Richards and Gene Simmons. "They can't serve our country openly."

The same spot features Cindy McCain asking, "Our government treats the LGBT community like second class citizens -- why shouldn't they?"

What a good question. Maybe her husband could take a moment to respond.

In the larger context, we're well past the point of remembering the more honorable iterations of John McCain, which are long gone and aren't coming back. But I can't help but think there's something tragic about the conservative senator picking one last issue -- discriminating against gays and undermining military readiness during two wars -- to champion towards the end of his lengthy career.

History will not be kind. Neither, apparently, will dinner conversations at the McCain household.

—Steve Benen 8:35 AM November 12, 2010

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archiv ... 026601.php

PostPosted: 11/12/10 7:22 am • # 2 
History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes.
-Thomas Jefferson to Alexander von Humboldt, Dec. 6, 1813.

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Horatio G. Spafford, March 17, 1814

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus."

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Francis Adrian Van der Kemp, 30 July, 1816

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

PostPosted: 11/14/10 3:55 am • # 3 
Administrator

VERY disappointing but not all that surprising ~ given John McCain's ego and temper, I've always suspected that Cindy was likely emotionally battered ~ so I was curious how John McCain was dealing with this ~ now I know ~ Image ~ Sooz

SOMEBODY GOT TO CINDY.... Cindy McCain, perhaps best known as Sen. John McCain's (R) second/current wife, did something pretty brave this week. While her husband positions himself as one of Congress' leading anti-gay lawmakers, Cindy McCain appeared in a NOH8 activist video in support of gay rights.

In the television ad, she tells viewers, "Our political and religious leaders tell LGBT youth that they have no future.... They can't serve our country openly." She added that the government "treats the LGBT community like second class citizens."

It was a striking move, given that her husband is leading the charge to ensure gay servicemen and women "can't serve our country openly" and that the LGBT community is treated "like second class citizens."

But in an even more striking move, Cindy McCain is now saying she no longer believes what she said in the commercial.

Quote:

Cindy McCain announced that she is against the repeal of "Don't ask, don't tell" one day after she appeared in a video where she lends her support to end the ban on gays openly serving in the military. [...]

"I fully support the NOH8 campaign and all it stands for and am proud to be a part of it. But I stand by my husband's stance on DADT," she tweeted.

Look, I really don't care what the spouses or children of policymakers have to say about current events. Cindy McCain's views on discrimination, or any other issue, are her business.

Until, that is, she decides she wants to play a more active, high-profile role in the larger public debate. In this case, on Thursday, Cindy McCain wanted to use her role as public figure to tell Americans how wrong it is that gay servicemen and women "can't serve our country openly" and that the LGBT community is treated "like second class citizens." And on Friday, Cindy McCain wanted to use her role as public figure to tell Americans that gay servicemen and women shouldn't "serve our country openly" and that the LGBT community deserves to be treated "like second class citizens."

I'm not sure which is more troubling -- the fact that Cindy McCain is willing to publicly contradict herself so blatantly, or that her embarrassed husband probably pressured her to say something that's at odds with her own beliefs.

—Steve Benen 8:00 AM November 14, 2010

http://www.washingtonmont...idual/2010_11/026626.php

PostPosted: 11/14/10 4:08 am • # 4 
Administrator

I wonder if Cindy will wear a turtleneck and sport dark shades at her next public appearance?

PostPosted: 11/14/10 4:12 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Pretty sure Cindy could take the old guy.

PostPosted: 11/14/10 4:42 am • # 6 
With all the drama of the "hottness" surrounding Palin; I always thought Cindy McCain was prettier.  Now she's older and not of child bearing years anymore.  I don't think she's out killing moose either.  Chicks with guns may have been part of the allure.  Maybe some of the droolers can explain that to me....

Cindy's part in the ad did focus on the political.  Proud of Tom Bergeron and Jeff Probst for being in there too. 

I'm not sure if Cindy could take the old guy or not, she's pretty twig-like, but daughter, Meghan, game, set and match!!!!!

PostPosted: 11/14/10 4:45 am • # 7 
jabra2 wrote:
I wonder if Cindy will wear a turtleneck and sport dark shades at her next public appearance?

Look who's wearing sunglasses and looking emotionally battered:

PostPosted: 11/14/10 4:55 am • # 8 
Administrator

Ah, the apologist is there right on cue with another "He did it too" attempt.

PostPosted: 11/14/10 4:58 am • # 9 
Michelle?!? 

No way. no how!!!!

PostPosted: 11/14/10 5:04 am • # 10 
Administrator

grampatom wrote:
Pretty sure Cindy could take the old guy.

gramps, I know that comment is tongue-in-cheek ~ and I did chuckle when I read it ~ but the sad reality is that emotionally-battered women generally cannot even take themselves out of an abusive situation without a very strong support system helping them make the psychic break ~ even when pictured together, I don't get a sense of any emotional closeness between Cindy and John McCain ~ John McCain is a macho relic with the "women belong in the kitchen and bedroom" mindset ~

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply