It is currently 04/20/24 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 41 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/17/10 3:18 am • # 1 
Administrator

The time for R fun-and-games is long over ~ anyone, and I do mean anyone, who independently gambles with US foreign policy or diplomacy or national security should be charged with treason ~ I was angry when I read this yesterday ~ but I am rabidly angry after reading today's update [which I will post next] ~ Sooz

KYL INTENT ON DESTROYING U.S. FOREIGN POLICY.... This isn't just political madness; this is petty partisanship that literally puts American national security interests at risk.

Quote:

A key Republican senator cast doubt Tuesday on the Obama administration's chances of passing the nuclear treaty with Russia during the lame duck session of Congress.

Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Arizona, who is taking the lead for Republicans on negotiating with the administration on the treaty passage, said in a statement he told Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, that the treaty should not be considered before January, when the newly elected Congress is seated.

"When Majority Leader Harry Reid asked me if I thought the treaty could be considered in the lame duck session, I replied I did not think so given the combination of other work Congress must do and the complex and unresolved issues related to START and modernization," the statement from Kyl read. "I appreciate the recent effort by the Administration to address some of the issues that we have raised and I look forward to continuing to work with Senator (John) Kerry, DOD, and DOE officials," referring to the Department of Defense and Department of Energy.

The issues that Kyl describes as "unresolved" have, in fact, been resolved -- leading administration officials have met with Kyl privately, and mapped out in detail how they're prepared to do exactly what he wants them to do. Even Jon Kyl, with his limited intellect, should be able to understand when someone says "yes" to his demands.

Under the circumstances, it appears that Kyl is opposing the treaty simply because he can. By all indications, Kyl simply cares more about defeating a key priority for President Obama than advancing the nation's interests. I wish that weren't true, but I'm hard pressed to come to any other conclusion.

I wouldn't say the treaty is dead just yet, but Kyl's mindless, genuinely stupid obstinacy has certainly put the arms treaty on death's door. He's suggested the Senate can try again next year, but no serious person believes it can be ratified after the Democratic majority shrinks -- it's pretty much now or never.

And if it fails, the consequences will be severe. U.S.-Russian relations will deteriorate dramatically; inspection of Russian long-range nuclear bases will be suspended indefinitely; and American credibility on the global stage will take a painful hit -- all because one right-wing Arizonan hates the president a little too much.

We are, by the way, talking about a treaty endorsed by six former secretaries of state and five former secretaries of defense from both parties; the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; seven former Strategic Command chiefs; national security advisers from both parties, and nearly all former commanders of U.S. nuclear forces.

French Ambassador Pierre Vimont recently said that after he and other diplomats reported back to Europe about the possibility of congressional opposition to the treaty, "People ask us, 'Have you been drinking?'"

The world simply doesn't understand how hysterically ridiculous the Republican Party of the 21st century has become. Why would American lawmakers reject a treaty that benefits America? The notion that a legislature would hate their president more than they love their country just doesn't seem plausible.

The administration reached out to Kyl in good faith, and gave him what he wanted. Kyl's response isn't just a betrayal of the White House; it's a betrayal of all of our interests. It's as shameful a moment for Kyl as at any point in his career -- and he doesn't even realize it.

—Steve Benen 3:30 PM November 16, 2010

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archiv ... 026668.php

PostPosted: 11/17/10 3:29 am • # 2 
Administrator

This is enraging~ John Kyl playing political games with national security to prove his own 'chops' is beyond imagination and beneath contempt ~ Sooz 

THE FALLOUT OF KYL'S BETRAYAL.... The optimism hadn't been expressed publicly, but the White House really did think it finally had a deal in place for Senate ratification of the new arms control treaty with Russia, New START.

Republicans had made Sen. Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.) their point man on the issue -- it's not clear why, since Kyl has no background or working knowledge of the issue -- and he made specific objections to the Obama administration clear. Officials, in response, gave Kyl what he asked for. The deal, they thought, was done.

Quote:

Over many months of negotiations, the administration committed to spending $80 billion to do that over the next 10 years, and on Friday offered to chip in $4.1 billion more over the next five years. As a gesture of commitment, the White House had made sure extra money for modernization was included in the stopgap spending resolution now keeping the government operating, even though almost no other program received an increase in money.

All told, White House officials counted 29 meetings, phone calls, briefings or letters involving Mr. Kyl or his staff. They said they thought they had given him everything he wanted, and were optimistic about completing a deal this week, only to learn about his decision on Tuesday from reporters.

Kyl wouldn't even give the White House the courtesy of a phone call to let them know he was betraying them and the nation's national security needs. Worse, the dimwitted Kyl, with the future of American foreign policy in his hands, couldn't even give a coherent rationale for why he'd made the decision -- his office would only say "there doesn't appear to be enough time" in the lame-duck session.

This is what happens when serious officials try to negotiate in good faith with Republicans -- they refuse to take "yes" for an answer, they don't have intellectual capacity to explain why, and the entire country has to suffer the consequences.

The bulk of the Republican foreign policy apparatus enthusiastically supports this treaty, as does the entirety of America's military, diplomatic, and intelligence leadership. Matt Cooper noted late yesterday:

Quote:

Indeed, Republicans will need to explain why they want to sit on a treaty that the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has described this way: "I believe -- and the rest of the military leadership in this country believes -- that this treaty is essential to our future security. I believe it enhances and ensures that security. And I hope the Senate will ratify it quickly." [...]

There are risks for Republicans who follow Kyl and find themselves on the opposite side of the military and diplomatic community on ratification of the treaty.

There should be risks, but they don't really exist. Let me put this plainly: They. Don't. Care. They disregard the pleas of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and listen to the confused misjudgments of a buffoon from Arizona. They assume the public isn't paying attention, so there won't be political consequences. They expect this to hurt the foreign policy power of the United States, but they're fine with that since there's a Democratic president.

When it comes to Russia, inspection of the country's long-range nuclear bases will remain suspended indefinitely; the country's hard-liners will be emboldened; and Russia's willingness to cooperate with U.S. on Iran or on Afghanistan will likely disappear.

But in the bigger picture, countries around the globe will see this as a reminder that negotiating with the United States is pointless, since the country is burdened with a Republican Party that puts partisan hatred above the country's interests. It hurts American credibility in ways that are hard to even gauge.

Sleep well, Jon Kyl. Dream of the time when the United States had the respect and stature to lead the world.

—Steve Benen 8:00 AM November 17, 2010

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archiv ... 026673.php

PostPosted: 11/17/10 3:38 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Look, Republicans have said that their #1 priority is to obstruct the Obama administration in every way they can possibly think of.

I really hope Obama doesn't accidentally discover the cure for cancer while he's in office. Republicans would go into overdrive find a way to make sure no American could possibly benefit from it, lest Obama be given credit for doing something good. 

PostPosted: 11/17/10 5:35 am • # 4 
Administrator

From Republican to Republiscum...

PostPosted: 11/18/10 12:56 pm • # 5 
Administrator

This has extraordinarily serious consequences for the US ~ I'm VERY relieved that finally our press media seems to be paying attention and speaking out ~ loudly, per the 'update' below ~ Sooz

Dismantling the arguments against the New START treaty on the NewsHour last night, Richard Burt, the Reagan administration's chief U.S. negotiator for the original START treaty, noted that “there are only two governments in the world that wouldn't like to see this treaty ratified, the government in Tehran and the government in North Korea.â€

PostPosted: 11/18/10 1:45 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Hopefully, this is a sign that at least our press is returning to real reporting and doing their jobs properly ~ Sooz

By [url=/author/Max Bergmann]Max Bergmann[/url] on Nov 18th, 2010 at 12:05 pm
Editorial Boards Around The Country Rip Kyl, Republicans, Urge New START Ratification

Following Senator Jon Kyl's (R-AZ) announcement that he will delay and obstruct the New START treaty, editorial boards in newpapers around the country have eviscerated him and Senate Republicans.

Kyl was described as “narrow-minded,â€

PostPosted: 11/18/10 2:04 pm • # 7 
Administrator

I wonder why Iran doesn't like the US?
Think there is a reason?

PostPosted: 11/19/10 9:49 am • # 8 
Editorialist

actually, the last time i checked the US was still more popular in Iran than in any other country in the ME other than Israel.

PostPosted: 11/19/10 2:12 pm • # 9 
anyone, and I do mean anyone, who independently gambles with US foreign policy or diplomacy or national security should be charged with treason

You think Kyl should be charged with treason because he doesn't support the START treaty?

PostPosted: 11/19/10 2:57 pm • # 10 
Administrator

My comment was a hold-over from my continuing fury with Eric Cantor for making promises [that he is not authorized to make] directly to Benjamin Netanyahu ~ both Cantor and Kyl are meddling in foreign policy independently ~ and Kyl's meddling crosses over to meddling with national security ~ Kyl made demands and those demands were met ~ now he's changing the rules ~ again ~ if Kyl and Cantor don't like legislation or a treaty, they can vote 'no' ~ but the current R frenzy to bring Obama down is out of control ~ it is affecting foreign policy, national security, and the general [especially the unemployed] public ~ I think both Cantor and Kyl are flirting with treason ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/20/10 12:06 am • # 11 
Administrator

They're unAmerican and unPatriotic scum.

PostPosted: 11/20/10 5:08 am • # 12 
sooz08 wrote:
My comment was a hold-over from my continuing fury with Eric Cantor for making promises [that he is not authorized to make] directly to Benjamin Netanyahu ~ both Cantor and Kyl are meddling in foreign policy independently ~ and Kyl's meddling crosses over to meddling with national security ~ Kyl made demands and those demands were met ~ now he's changing the rules ~ again ~ if Kyl and Cantor don't like legislation or a treaty, they can vote 'no' ~ but the current R frenzy to bring Obama down is out of control ~ it is affecting foreign policy, national security, and the general [especially the unemployed] public ~ I think both Cantor and Kyl are flirting with treason ~

Sooz
What "meddling" is Kyl doing?

You need to go back and understand treason before you start claiming that a Senator performing his Constitutional duty to pass judgement on a proposed treaty is "flirting with treason" just because he decided he opposes that treaty.

PostPosted: 11/20/10 5:25 am • # 13 
Administrator

Kyl's duty is to do his due diligence and then vote 'yea' or 'nay' ~ it is not to fulfill the strongest shared goal of today's Rs to hamstring everything just because he can ~ there is NO question that every day ratification is delayed puts US national security at greater risk ~ there is great bipartisan and expert support on that pesky little point ~ a vote now is not only imperative, it is appropriate since it's the currently sitting House and Senate members who have the most experience with the issue ~ there will only be further delays, adding additional/increased risk each and every day, to bring the new members up to speed ~ Kyl is a partisan hack ~ nothing more ~ intentionally putting national security at risk is an act of treason in my mind, gop ~

Forget the politics and just consider the potential consequences ~ that you don't seem to have a problem with that is very troubling, gop ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/20/10 5:28 am • # 14 
Administrator

BTW, Kyl used ratification to demand more funds for modernizing the US weapons ~ that demand was fulfilled ~ he has not presented any problem or disagreement with the treaty itself ~ he's playing petty political games with national security ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/20/10 5:40 am • # 15 
sooz, you're about to get a Captain Hyperbole award for claiming that every day the treaty isn't ratified puts us at more risk.  The world will survive and we will go on if the consideration of the treaty takes more time.  You're starting to sound like Glenn Beck.

I think the treaty should probably be approved by the Senate.  I'm not familiar with its details, so I can't say for sure.  My quibble isn't with the treaty here.  It's with the declaration that Kyl is "flirting with treason" because he decided to oppose the treaty.  That's the way the treaty approval process works.  Senators have the option of supporting or opposing it.  If they were required to support it simply because the President and his supporters want them to support it, we wouldn't have much of a reason to have the Senate involved, and we would have, essentially, a dictatorship.  I think your support of a model where Senators who oppose a Presient's view on treaty are branded "treasonous" is far more damaging to the health of the nation than Kyl's decision.

PostPosted: 11/20/10 5:42 am • # 16 
Administrator

In my view and in sharp contrast to Kyl's partisan gaming, Sen Lugar IS performing his Constitutional duty ~ Sooz

LUGAR TO GOP: 'PLEASE DO YOUR DUTY FOR YOUR COUNTRY'.... The pending arms control treaty with Russia, New START, has no greater Republican champion than Sen. Dick Lugar of Indiana. Lugar, the former chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, has long been Congress' most respected and most credible GOP voice on international affairs, and his unyielding support for the measure should carry considerable weight in Republican circles.

What I find especially interesting this week, however, has been Lugar's willingness to raise the volume of that voice. On Wednesday, the mild-mannered-to-a-fault senator appeared at a press conference alongside Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.), and was surprisingly animated about the importance of ratification.

Yesterday, Lugar appeared on MSNBC, and again made his case in a more forceful way than is usually expected of him.

"Please do your duty for your country," Lugar said in a message to his colleagues. "We do not have verification of the Russian nuclear posture right now. We're not going to have it until we sign the START treaty. We're not going to be able to get rid of further missiles and warheads aimed at us.

"I state it candidly to my colleagues, one of those warheads ... could demolish my city of Indianapolis -- obliterate it! Now Americans may have forgotten that. I've not forgotten it and I think that most people who are concentrating on the START treaty want to move ahead to move down the ladder of the number of weapons aimed at us."

Urging Republicans to "do their duty" for their country is good advice. If only they weren't so inclined to place party over patriotism.

Watching Lugar this week, it seems the quiet, reserved senior senator is just frustrated. I don't know Lugar personally, but seeing his passion on New START, I wouldn't be surprised if he's noticing that he seems to be the only Republican senator on the Hill who isn't afraid to put our national security needs over petty, partisan nonsense.

For the record, on the vast majority of the major issues of the day, I completely disagree with Lugar's positions. The way in which he's conducted himself during this debate, however, is a reminder that Lugar may be well to my right, but he tends to conduct himself in an honorable way.

Congress would be a less infuriating institution if we could say the same about his Republican colleagues.

—Steve Benen 8:30 AM November 20, 2010

http://www.washingtonmont...idual/2010_11/026732.php

PostPosted: 11/20/10 5:54 am • # 17 
So you think it's Senators' Constitutional duty to support the treaty?

PostPosted: 11/20/10 6:04 am • # 18 
Administrator

gopqed wrote:
sooz, you're about to get a Captain Hyperbole award for claiming that every day the treaty isn't ratified puts us at more risk.  The world will survive and we will go on if the consideration of the treaty takes more time.  You're starting to sound like Glenn Beck.

I think the treaty should probably be approved by the Senate.  I'm not familiar with its details, so I can't say for sure.  My quibble isn't with the treaty here.  It's with the declaration that Kyl is "flirting with treason" because he decided to oppose the treaty.  That's the way the treaty approval process works.  Senators have the option of supporting or opposing it.  If they were required to support it simply because the President and his supporters want them to support it, we wouldn't have much of a reason to have the Senate involved, and we would have, essentially, a dictatorship.  I think your support of a model where Senators who oppose a Presient's view on treaty are branded "treasonous" is far more damaging to the health of the nation than Kyl's decision.
That's BS and a spin of what I've said, gop ~ I have not said nor implied that Kyl should be supporting the treaty ~ I said his duty is to do his due diligence and then to vote 'yea' or 'nay' ~ multitudes of bipartisan foreign policy and national security experts have identified the inherent dangers in not having a signed treaty ~ discussion of the treaty has been ongoing for months ~ if the treaty requires tweaking, then it should be tweaked ~ but there have been virtually NO identified problems or mandatory tweaks with the treaty itself ~ Kyl himself has raised NO issues with the treaty itself ~ Kyl is willing to put national security at risk for purely partisan gaming ~ it's that simple ~ and I repeat that you not having a problem with that is very troubling ~ and your refusal to even recognize Kyl's ridiculous and dangerous purely-partisan stance for what it is, and your choice instead to denigrate my strong feelings on this as 'hyperbole', sheds new light on you ~

For me, it is not a partisan issue ~ if national security doesn't rise about petty partisanship then we are in very deep doo-doo ~ 

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/20/10 8:21 am • # 19 
Administrator

gopqed wrote:
sooz08 wrote:

Sooz
What "meddling" is Kyl doing?

You need to go back and understand treason before you start claiming that a Senator performing his Constitutional duty to pass judgement on a proposed treaty is "flirting with treason" just because he decided he opposes that treaty.

Oh my, what is all this?
I don't remember you getting all excited when Repugs were calling Obama and the Dems "traitors",  "unAmerican", and "unPatriotic".
Why the sudden sense of outrage when the shoe is on the other foot?

PostPosted: 11/21/10 1:05 am • # 20 
sooz08 wrote:
That's BS and a spin of what I've said, gop ~ I have not said nor implied that Kyl should be supporting the treaty ~ I said his duty is to do his due diligence and then to vote 'yea' or 'nay' ~ multitudes of bipartisan foreign policy and national security experts have identified the inherent dangers in not having a signed treaty ~ discussion of the treaty has been ongoing for months ~ if the treaty requires tweaking, then it should be tweaked ~ but there have been virtually NO identified problems or mandatory tweaks with the treaty itself ~ Kyl himself has raised NO issues with the treaty itself ~ Kyl is willing to put national security at risk for purely partisan gaming ~ it's that simple ~ and I repeat that you not having a problem with that is very troubling ~ and your refusal to even recognize Kyl's ridiculous and dangerous purely-partisan stance for what it is, and your choice instead to denigrate my strong feelings on this as 'hyperbole', sheds new light on you ~

For me, it is not a partisan issue ~ if national security doesn't rise about petty partisanship then we are in very deep doo-doo ~ 

Sooz

I'm not spinning anything you've said, sooz.  You posted a hysterical blog post about Kyl, adding a comment that "anyone, and I do mean anyone, who independently gambles with US foreign policy or diplomacy or national security should be charged with treason " which certainly implies you think Kyl should be charged with treason.  You later said he's "flirting with treason."  None of your posts had any information in them that Kyl was doing anything except doing his job as a US Senator.  All of this after Kyl decided to vote "no" on the treaty as things stand now.  There's no way to spin what you said into anything except that you think Kyl's lack of support foor the treaty amounts to treason.  That's not only a gross misinterpretation of the definition of treason but an attack on the Constitutional principle of separation of powers.

I don't think this is a partisan issue, but you've made it a partisan issue by implying that opposition to the treaty is treasonous activity on the part of Republicans.

PostPosted: 11/21/10 5:08 am • # 21 
Administrator

You're entitled to your opinion, gop ~ the difference between us is that I find it appalling that you don't see anything wrong with any senator putting national security at risk just because he can by delaying a vote on a treaty where he has not raised any issue with the terms ~ Kyl's only demand was for more funds for updating the US arsenal ~ that demand was met ~ there is deep bipartisan expert support for how beneficial to the US this treaty is and that delay increases risk to US national security ~ my problem is not with Kyl [or others[ voting 'nay' ~ as I've posted repeatedly, a senator/congressperson's Constitutionally-mandated job is to do their due diligence and to cast her/his vote ~ it is NOT her/his job to make independent promises to foreign heads of state [Cantor] or to knowingly and intentionally put US national security at increased risk just because it fits into their 'delay everything' gameplan ~

There is no reason, other than for purely political gaming, to delay a vote on this treaty ~ that you refuse to recognize the danger of this completes your metamorphosis to 100% partisan for me ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/21/10 7:10 am • # 22 
Administrator

Obviously, far better informed minds than my own recognize the gravity of this situation and recognize the inherent dangers in the purely partisan gaming being played

PostPosted: 11/21/10 7:52 am • # 23 
Administrator

Problem is that the Repugs don't seem to care. Right now it's all about getting that uppity Black person out of that White house and that's all there is to it.

PostPosted: 11/21/10 9:49 am • # 24 
Editorialist

you are either with Obama, or you are with the terrorists. ;]

PostPosted: 11/21/10 10:34 am • # 25 
Administrator

Too long for a bumper sticker.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 41 posts ] New Topic Add Reply