It is currently 09/20/24 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
PostPosted: 11/24/10 6:07 am • # 1 
Administrator

Glenn Beck is truly certifiable ~ and the sooner that happens, the better ~ Sooz

ONLY GLENN BECK TRULY UNDERSTANDS THE TSA.... Complaints about airport security aren't really my beat, but I nevertheless enjoyed Glenn Beck's on-air tirade yesterday, in which he insisted that Americans are being forced to hate the TSA on purpose so workers would unionize and become President Obama's private army. Or something.

Quote:

"I don't know what this TSA thing is. And I will tell you that Andy Stern and all his good friends, Richard Trumka and all these guys are now ratcheting up the TSA, and the TSA is now being courted by the unions. You know they are trying to unionize TSA and they are being courted by the unions. 'You need representation because people are starting to treat you poorly. If you don't if people don't take care of you, if the unions don't stand behind you, who's going to stand behind you?'

"This is as much of a play on the TSA as it is on you! Make the people hate the TSA and then the TSA employees are going to beg for somebody to protect them and represent them. And they'll run right into the arms of the union.

"You know when Barack Obama said he was creating his own private army? 'We need a private army just as well funded, just as well equipped.' There's a lot of people saying he was talking about some, I don't know, some diplomatic corps. Uh huh. Was he now? Some people say that it was AmeriCorps and whatever. It could be. I don't know what it is. I don't know what the hell this guy is doing. Nobody does. That's the point. But if you wanted to really have a security force, wouldn't a unionized TSA under the umbrella of Homeland Security be the best thing? I mean, why start a whole new security force when you already have one?"

Fact-checking Beck is an inherently silly exercise, but this notion that President Obama called for the creation of a "private army" continues to be a popular concept on the unhinged right, but it remains patently ridiculous.

Oliver Willis posted a transcript of what Obama actually said, and explained, "Obama was discussing the expansion of agencies like the foreign service and AmeriCorps, not any sort of private army -- and definitely not one comprised of unionized TSA agents."

Once in a while, I almost feel sorry for Beck's minions. Is it any wonder why they have such a twisted view of reality?

—Steve Benen 11:25 AM November 24, 2010

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archiv ... 026793.php

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ] New Topic Add Reply