It is currently 04/28/24 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 37 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/25/10 9:21 am • # 1 
Administrator

The U.S. government has notified Ottawa that the WikiLeaks website is preparing to release sensitive U.S. diplomatic files that could damage U.S. relations with allies around the world.

U.S. officials say the documents may contain accounts of compromising conversations with political dissidents and friendly politicians and could result in the expulsion of U.S. diplomats from foreign postings.

A Foreign Affairs spokeswoman said the U.S. ambassador to Canada, David Jacobson, has phoned Minister of Foreign Affairs Lawrence Cannon to inform him of the matter.

Melissa Lantsman said the Canadian Embassy in Washington is "currently engaging" with the U.S. State Department on the matter.

A State Department spokesman said Wednesday the release of confidential communications about foreign governments probably will erode trust in the United States as a diplomatic partner.

U.S. diplomatic outposts around the world have begun notifying other governments that WikiLeaks may release the documents in the next few days.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/...24/wikileaks-ottawa.html

PostPosted: 11/25/10 1:11 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

i love wikileakz

long live wikileakz
hip hip.....

PostPosted: 11/25/10 1:38 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Could be some major embarrassments for the US?
Or for Canada?
Apparently there are references to corruption.

PostPosted: 11/25/10 1:50 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Could be some major embarrassments for the US?
Or for Canada?
Apparently there are references to corruption.

dude.  there is  so much shit on the US.  it is literally endless.

PostPosted: 11/26/10 4:14 am • # 5 
Administrator

macroscopic wrote:
i love wikileakz

long live wikileakz
hip hip.....

I like the idea of Wikileaks but I think it has been very IRresponsible in the timing of its 'document dumps' ~ the US is in several combat zones and I see the 'leaks' as putting the troops at even greater [and unnecessary] risk ~ there is no way that Wikileaks obtained the information legally ~ and 'raw data' is rarely the 'end result' ~ as for any embarrassment, every country has things it prefers to keep confidential for whatever reasons ~ every country makes deals to achieve its goals ~ so I'm not surprised the US or Canada does so ~ and until we know what the deals were and at what 'cost', it's only speculation ~ I'm curious tho how far the military is allowed to wheel-and-deal before needing approval ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/26/10 4:33 am • # 6 
Administrator

~ the US is in several combat zones and I see the 'leaks' as putting the troops at even greater [and unnecessary] risk ~

How?

PostPosted: 11/26/10 5:37 am • # 7 
Editorialist

It sounds like this batch of leaks is more aimed at diplomatic relations than anything to do with military action.  Some of it must be pretty bad if the U.S. government is expecting ambassadors, etc. to get kicked out of countries and allies to rethink their allegencies. 

PostPosted: 11/26/10 5:45 am • # 8 
Administrator

jimwilliam wrote:
It sounds like this batch of leaks is more aimed at diplomatic relations than anything to do with military action.  Some of it must be pretty bad if the U.S. government is expecting ambassadors, etc. to get kicked out of countries and allies to rethink their allegencies. 
That's what I got out of the OP as well.

PostPosted: 11/26/10 8:09 am • # 9 
Administrator

[i]“It is not at all uncommon for diplomats on the same team to share negative comments about allies,â€

PostPosted: 11/26/10 1:01 pm • # 10 
Administrator

[quote="oskar576"][i]“It is not at all uncommon for diplomats on the same team to share negative comments about allies,â€

PostPosted: 11/26/10 1:07 pm • # 11 
Administrator

You might want to read the entire article, It's pretty good.

PostPosted: 11/26/10 1:45 pm • # 12 
Administrator

I did read it, oskar ~ it's a very good article, but you snagged the best quote ~ there was a segment on NBC Nightly News tonight that the key suspect is a young [early 20s, I think] US Army guy who is being held on charges of illegally downloading millions of pages of classified info ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/26/10 1:55 pm • # 13 
Administrator

From all indications so far, the bulk of the stuff would br from the State Dept... but then that could only be an impression created by the OP..

PostPosted: 11/26/10 1:59 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
macroscopic wrote:
i love wikileakz

long live wikileakz
hip hip.....

I like the idea of Wikileaks but I think it has been very IRresponsible in the timing of its 'document dumps' ~ the US is in several combat zones and I see the 'leaks' as putting the troops at even greater [and unnecessary] risk ~ there is no way that Wikileaks obtained the information legally ~ and 'raw data' is rarely the 'end result' ~ as for any embarrassment, every country has things it prefers to keep confidential for whatever reasons ~ every country makes deals to achieve its goals ~ so I'm not surprised the US or Canada does so ~ and until we know what the deals were and at what 'cost', it's only speculation ~ I'm curious tho how far the military is allowed to wheel-and-deal before needing approval ~

Sooz

i am more concerned with the irresponsibility of my own government than that of wikileaks.  to the extent they overlap, they will continue to get a ringing endorsement from me.

wholesale dumping of information is not subject to the same praise, however.

PostPosted: 11/28/10 1:34 am • # 15 
Administrator

Red comments are mine.

WikiLeaks release endangers lives: U.S.

The Obama administration in the United States is warning online whistleblower WikiLeaks that its expected imminent release of classified State Department documents will put "countless" lives at risk, threaten global counterterorism operations and jeopardize U.S. relations with its allies. (How can anyone make such a gratuitous statement whithout knowibg the content of the materisl that is to be leaked?).

In a letter sent Saturday to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, the State Department's top lawyer says publication of the documents could do massive harm to the standing of the U.S. by exposing secret military operations and revealing dissidents' charges against foreign governments. The cables are expected to be released on Sunday.

State Department legal adviser Harold Koh sent the message in response to a letter from Assange and his lawyer in which they asked about the safety of people who might be named in the cables.

Koh said the U.S. will not co-operate or negotiate with WikiLeaks. (So, "countless" lives will allegedly be endangered but they basically don't want to talk about it. Seems to me the current administration has become as arrogant and unbending as the previous one)

http://www.cbc.ca/world/s.../world-us-wikileaks.html

PostPosted: 11/28/10 5:51 am • # 16 
Administrator

oskar, unless I'm missing/overlooking something,I don't agree with your comments in your prior post ~ while the US might not know exactly which docs/cables have been downloaded, they obviously have a general sense of what would be labeled 'confidential', and why ~ so I don't see the comments as 'gratuitous' ~ I also don't see Koh's comments as 'arrogant' ~ why would/should the US hand over further information to Wikileaks just because they request that info?

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/28/10 6:06 am • # 17 
Wikileaks can leak away as far as I'm concerned. Our politicians (Canada included) and their inner circle deserve having the light of day shone on their activities of the past decade with regards to these unnecessary wars.

PostPosted: 11/28/10 6:18 am • # 18 
Administrator

Again, I agree with you and Mac in theory, Sid ~ but as I've posted before, I don't think the time to do that is while we [that 'we' includes other countries as well as the US] are in active combat zones ~ I see the timing as upping the risk and danger to all troops ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/28/10 6:24 am • # 19 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
Again, I agree with you and Mac in theory, Sid ~ but as I've posted before, I don't think the time to do that is while we [that 'we' includes other countries as well as the US] are in active combat zones ~ I see the timing as upping the risk and danger to all troops ~

Sooz

i think everyone concerned about the troops should work for immediate withdrawl.  until that time, i will continue to believe that the concern is a political contrivance.

i am halfway joking.  but i think you get the point.

PostPosted: 11/28/10 6:27 am • # 20 
Administrator

sooz08 wrote:
oskar, unless I'm missing/overlooking something,I don't agree with your comments in your prior post ~ while the US might not know exactly which docs/cables have been downloaded, they obviously have a general sense of what would be labeled 'confidential', and why ~ so I don't see the comments as 'gratuitous' ~ I also don't see Koh's comments as 'arrogant' ~ why would/should the US hand over further information to Wikileaks just because they request that info?

Sooz
This stuff is being leaked because of the lack of transparency. The US and other governments are constantly using "national security", "classified", and such nonsense as a matter of course in order to hide their unethical and/or illegal activities. Who the hell do governents think they are?
They have gotten the roles completely confused. Governments serve the people, not the other way around - at least in any country where I'd want to be a citizen.
I'm afraid governments themselves created the need for Wikileaks and other whistleblowers.

PostPosted: 11/28/10 6:58 am • # 21 
Editorialist

We should just hope that all these leaks deal with is the State Department calling foreign leaders bad names, etc.  What happens, though, if those leaks actually point to U.S. interference in the internal politics of countries.  Suppose, for example, the documents showed that Canada's involvement in Afghanistan was outright purchased by a bribe to our Prime Minister of the time, Jean Chretin or that U.S. money was funneled to the Conservative party to help elect a U.S. friendly government. 

Basically, what I am saying is the effect of these documents may not be restricted to a few red faces in the State Department.

PostPosted: 11/28/10 7:01 am • # 22 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:

We should just hope that all these leaks deal with is the State Department calling foreign leaders bad names, etc.  What happens, though, if those leaks actually point to U.S. interference in the internal politics of countries.  Suppose, for example, the documents showed that Canada's involvement in Afghanistan was outright purchased by a bribe to our Prime Minister of the time, Jean Chretin or that U.S. money was funneled to the Conservative party to help elect a U.S. friendly government. 

Basically, what I am saying is the effect of these documents may not be restricted to a few red faces in the State Department.

and i am

so
looking
forward
to
it

PostPosted: 11/28/10 7:11 am • # 23 
Editorialist

I hear Wikileaks is having a bit of a problem getting the documents out.

PostPosted: 11/28/10 7:11 am • # 24 
Administrator

I haven't a problem if Canada's leaders are exposed as being corrupt - be they Liberals, Conservatives, NDPers or anything else.

PostPosted: 11/28/10 7:22 am • # 25 
Editorialist

Yes you do Oskar.  If it implicates only individuals it's no big deal but how do you undo entire policies, directions and election results?  As an analogy, let's use the Tom Delay conviction.  He may be punished but his actions have influenced the entire history of Texas and its citizens for gosh knows how long.  There's not going to be any do-overs for elections since 2002 or changes to the redistribution of districts.  The effect of what he has done is far wider than just money laundering and they won't go away or even change for long into the future.

Even if Chretin were bribed or threatened or whatever to get us into Afghanistan (and this is just an example with, hopefully, no basis in truth), there is no way to undo the fact we were there, are there and probably will remain there in some capacity for a long time.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 37 posts ] New Topic Add Reply