It is currently 04/28/24 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/30/10 4:31 am • # 1 
Administrator

I don't share Joe Scarborough's reverence for either Ronald Reagan or George H W Bush, but I do recognize their personal accomplishments ~ and I do share Scarborough's take on Sarah Palin ~ while she does qualify as a perky/noisy cheerleader for the far right wing, it's beyond time real conservatives [which does indeed eliminate some of today's Rs] started publicly recognizing/acknowledging her obvious limitations ~ Sooz 

Joe Scarborough tells GOP to man up and confront Sarah Palin

Republicans have a problem. The most-talked-about figure in the GOP is a reality show star who cannot be elected. And yet the same leaders who fret that Sarah Palin could devastate their party in 2012 are too scared to say in public what they all complain about in private.

Enough. It's time for the GOP to man up.

Everybody knows that Palin is a busy woman. The former half-term governor of Alaska stays so busy these days that one wonders how this mother of five manages to juggle her new reality show, follow her eldest daughter's dancing career and launch her latest frenetic book tour while still finding the time to insult a slew of revered presidents and first ladies.

You've got to admit hers is a breathtaking high-wire act.

What man or mouse with a fully functioning human brain and a résumé as thin as Palin's would flirt with a presidential run? It makes the political biography of Barack Obama look more like Winston Churchill's, despite the fact that the 44th president breezed into the Oval Office as little more than a glorified state senator.

Still, Palin is undeterred, charging ahead maniacally while declaring her intention to run for the top office in the land if “nobody else will.â€

PostPosted: 11/30/10 7:33 am • # 2 
This is interesting... The Republicans have been masters with messaging lies that put the Democrats on the defensive and looking weak. I've said it many times, people are too lazy to do the research needed to identify the lies only to see the Democrat comeback as excuses rather than fact. Now we have Palin using the same weapon against the Republican establishment, putting them on the defensive and looking weak for the same reason - the laziness of an electorate that's pummelled with rhetoric and spin from the time they wake up in the morning until they go to sleep at night. I can't believe I'm saying this but, she's right - the Bush family are "disconnected blue bloods" despite GHW's service. GWB did wreck the economy. Not saying she will be, but she could be president if the actor from “Bedtime for Bonzoâ€

PostPosted: 11/30/10 7:40 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Maybe Joe should "man up" and confront her about all the LIES she's launched against the current POTUS. If he can't even stomach doing that, he's got no business calling anyone else out.

PostPosted: 11/30/10 7:48 am • # 4 
Well... he's a Republican too so I doubt he has the nads to "man up".

PostPosted: 11/30/10 8:01 am • # 5 
Administrator

Just another GOP water boy.

PostPosted: 11/30/10 9:07 am • # 6 
Rove babbled that he didn't think she held the gravitas to be president.  This is about as much nad-ness as they've got.

They know they need her loons to win elections and will serve as placeholders to vote for R- hedge fund manager stuff.  Where is gopqed?  He sees nothing wrong with this. 

PostPosted: 11/30/10 9:21 am • # 7 
Administrator

Where is gopqed? He sees nothing wrong with this.

Off doing Karl Rove imitations.

PostPosted: 11/30/10 9:29 am • # 8 
kathyk1024 wrote:
Rove babbled that he didn't think she held the gravitas to be president.  This is about as much nad-ness as they've got.

They know they need her loons to win elections and will serve as placeholders to vote for R- hedge fund manager stuff.  Where is gopqed?  He sees nothing wrong with this. 

So with the exception of a few, you're saying the Republicans won't "man up" about Sarah Palin because they don't want to anger the newly-elected tea party representatives and the votes they carry. You're probably right about that, but it seems to me the GOP brass are misguided. Those newly elected tea partiers would still fall into line and support anything the republicans bring to the floor because their hatred of anything "liberal" or associated with Obama's administration far outweighs any fellow republicans' negative sentiments regarding Saint Sarah. In fact, I'd be willing to wager that Saint Sarah will become an increasing liability to the tea party as (yet another) election season draws near and they would be more than willing to throw her under the bus.

PostPosted: 11/30/10 9:38 am • # 9 
I think they probably want her under a bus now.  They've got to be reasoning that they could have taken Delaware with Castle and Nevada with anyone but Angles. 

They've got to use their watercarriers for this campaign.  You won't see any criticism from inside players.

PostPosted: 11/30/10 11:19 am • # 10 
Editorialist

I dunno...I think Sarah is the tea party right now in the tea partiers' minds.  While she may not actually be the engine of the tea party bus, she's the hood ornament that jumps up and down on the radiator, waving its arms, holding he rubes' attention.  Nobody else in the movement is anywhere near flashy enough to get the job done.  Tea partiers are more anti-dem, anti-liberal than they are pro- anything.  But they have their pride, and while the odd repub here and there may call Sarah out, the Repub party won't risk alienating the tea braggers.

Last edited by grampatom on 11/30/10 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/01/10 5:21 am • # 11 
grampatom wrote:
I dunno...I think Sarah is the tea party right now in the tea partiers' minds.  While she may not actually be the engine of the tea party bus, she's the hood ornament that jumps up and down on the radiator, waving its arms, holding he rubes' attention.  Nobody else in the movement is anywhere near flashy enough to get the job done.  Tea partiers are more anti-dem, anti-liberal than they are pro- anything.  But they have their pride, and while the odd repub here and there may call Sarah out, the Repub party won't risk alienating the tea braggers.
This should be a lesson to the Democrats, too. It's a little ironic that a multimillionaire who spends more on her wardrobe than the average teabagger grosses per year, and who lives in the most remote region of the country would call anyone "disconnected". But it's a more visceral strain of identity politics that's in effect here.

What does Sarah Palin have in common with the last three Presidents to be re-elected in this country, Ronnie, Bubba, and Dubya? You have to establish a personality cult that glorifies the lowest common denominator. Sure Dubya went to Harvard and Yale, but he accentuated the negative: He was a "C" student (just like eveyone else in the middle of the bell curve - that's where the majority is). And he talked like a dumb-ass...not just like he was from Texas (he was really from Kennebunkport, Maine)...but like he was a functionally illiterate Texan. People love that. It puts them at ease and builds trust.

People didn't trust HW, he was a "blue-blood". They especially didn't trust Quayle even though he really was illiterate. They just couldn't imagine Quayle holding the spotlight while they poached a deer, or being their wing-man down at the VFW lounge on a Saturday night, or helping them change the intake manifold gasket on their sister-in-law's '89 Dodge Caravan.

First you gotta get their trust. All that philosophical stuff is just turtle wax and tire shine.

PostPosted: 12/01/10 5:43 am • # 12 
I was watching Morning Joe when he started talking about Sarah and although I rarely agree with him, I did this time.  This morning Meika was asking Rep. Barton about her and he danced all around a direct answer.  I think the teabaggers in the House and Senate and many Republicans are way more afraid of Palin than any Democrat.  Also Barton stood there and said the Republicans will not let the Bush tax cuts expire knowing full well this is not funded and saying in the next breath while he has sympathy for the unemployed... the Republicans will not vote to extend the unemplyment benefits because its not funded.  This clearly tells me the Republicans have made their priorities very clear  by taking care of the rich by preserving their tax cuts, then cut government services to the needy. This is simply Republican insanity!  I have sent emails to both Missouri Senators and State Representatives regarding this. This is simply insane!

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply