It is currently 05/17/24 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/01/10 3:40 am • # 1 
Administrator

Followed a link in today's 'ThinkFast' entry to this ~ so much for 'good faith' ~ Image ~ Sooz

Senate GOP letter calls for blocking most bills

WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate Republicans intend to block action on virtually all Democratic-backed legislation unrelated to tax cuts and government spending in the current postelection session of Congress, officials said Tuesday, adding that the leadership has quietly collected signatures on a letter pledging to carry out the strategy.

If carried out, it would doom Democratic-backed attempts to end the Pentagon's practice of discharging openly gay members of the military service and give legal status to young illegal immigrants who join the military or attend college.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has made both measures a priority as Democrats attempt to enact legislation long sought by groups that supported them in the recent midterm elections.

A nuclear arms treaty with Russia that President Barack Obama wants ratified would not be affected, since any debate would take place under different rules than those that apply to legislation. Even so, its passage is not assured as Republicans are seeking concessions from the White House.

Officials who disclosed the new Republican maneuver did so on condition of anonymity, saying they were not authorized to discuss it.

It was not known how many of the Senate's 42 Republicans had signed the draft letter, which the leadership intends to make public quickly.

Senate Democrats need 60 votes to overcome any delaying tactics, meaning they could be thwarted if 41 Republicans join in the commitment.

Democrats' chances of passing politically charged legislation will dim when the new Congress convenes in January, since Republicans will take control of the House and gain more Senate seats.

The letter comes after comments by Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell and others in his party that the voters made it clear in the elections they want lawmakers to focus on economic issues.

"Despite what some Democrats in Congress have suggested, voters did not signal they wanted more cooperation on the Democrats' big-government policies that most Americans oppose," McConnell and incoming House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, wrote in an op-ed article published in the Washington Post.

http://www.google.com/hos...7cc542db8172f9c18c7144f6

PostPosted: 12/01/10 4:13 am • # 2 
Administrator

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ~ not sure which is correct: the op says the START treaty would be EXcluded from this 'hostage plan', but Benen says it will be INcluded ~ if ever there was a time for executive orders and recess appointments, NOW is that time ~ Sooz

ALL 42 SENATE REPUBLICANS ANNOUNCE HOSTAGE PLAN.... The AP had an item late last night, noting that Senate Republicans were circulating a letter, "quietly collecting signatures" on a plan to "block action on virtually all Democratic-backed legislation unrelated to tax cuts and government spending."

This morning, the Senate GOP leadership unveiled their letter -- signed by literally all 42 members of the Republican caucus -- declaring their intention to hold the chamber hostage until the tax policy debate is resolved.

Quote:

"[W]e write to inform you that we will not agree to invoke cloture on the motion to proceed to any legislative item until the Senate has acted to fund the government and we have prevented the tax increase that is currently awaiting all American taxpayers. With little time left in this Congressional session, legislative scheduling should be focused on these critical priorities. While there are other items that might ultimately be worthy of the Senate's attention, we cannot agree to prioritize any matters above the critical issues of funding the government and preventing a job-killing tax hike."

In practical terms, this means that the Senate Republican caucus will join arms and kill literally every piece of legislation in the lame-duck session -- New START, funding U.S. troops, the DREAM Act, etc. -- until the government is fully funded and they're satisfied with the outcome of the debate on tax policy.

When the letter was being circulated yesterday, there was some hope that some of the less-conservative members -- the Maine "moderates," for example -- might not go along with the hostage-taking strategy. This morning, however, we learned that every Republican is on board with this plan. Even Sen. Dick Lugar (R-Ind.) is saying our national security needs through the pending arms treaty must take a back seat to tax cuts.

Also note the context: President Obama hosted a meeting at the White House yesterday with congressional leaders of both parties, and afterwards, everyone was all smiles. There was a renewed commitment to try to work together, find common ground, with an emphasis on bipartisanship.

A few hours later, the hostage letter was circulated by the GOP leadership, and less than a day after the bipartisan confab, literally every member of the Senate Republican caucus effectively told the world, "Screw bipartisanship; we're playing hardball until we get what we want on tax cuts for the wealthy."

How Democrats -- on both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue -- respond to this gambit remains to be seen.

* Postscript: Also note the unstated truth behind the threat -- Republicans will block literally everything until they're satisfied, at which point, they'll try to block literally everything anyway.

—Steve Benen 10:00 AM December 1. 2010

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archiv ... 026869.php

PostPosted: 12/01/10 4:22 am • # 3 
The American citizens are being held hostage by a cabal of ruling elites. Does this surprise anyone?

PostPosted: 12/01/10 5:47 am • # 4 
This doesn't surprise me at all but I can honestly tell you that in my lifetime and the number of years I have been able to vote (and that's a long time), this really pisses me off more than anything I can think of regarding politics.  I have written so many emails this morning to various political people, I have surprised myself.  This is totally insane what the Republicans are doing.  Totally insane. 

PostPosted: 12/01/10 3:03 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

i think the democrats should play this one out, and make the gop capitulate to a middle class tax break, or none. i think it is a win-win for them.

if the gop does not capitulate, they will be held responsible for raising the taxes on ALL AMERICANS. that would be good to campaign on.
in addition, it will close the budget deficit, in all likelihood, which would be pretty awesome.

either way, the democrats come out looking good, imo.

PostPosted: 12/01/10 3:16 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Dee wrote:
This doesn't surprise me at all but I can honestly tell you that in my lifetime and the number of years I have been able to vote (and that's a long time), this really pisses me off more than anything I can think of regarding politics.  I have written so many emails this morning to various political people, I have surprised myself.  This is totally insane what the Republicans are doing.  Totally insane. 

I too am majorly pissed off, Dee ~ but I've been growing steadily angrier ever since January 21, 2009 ~ the R politicians have lied, distorted, manipulated everything ... for no reason other than their vow to 'defeat/delay everything' ~ they have trampled the US public in their quest [and promises] to please their corporate masters ~ they are accomplished frauds, playing political games with truly critical votes ~ and worst of all, they are playing these political games NOT because of legitimate policy differences but because their only goal is to hamstring Obama and the Ds ~ they are willing to gamble with national security and to refuse to extend unemployment to millions of people [who are unemployed because of prior R policies] until they get exactly what they want ~ which is to return to the same policies that got us into the mess we're digging our way out of ~ they have willingly discarded any common sense, decency, and humanity they may have once had ~ I am embarrassed by and deeply disgusted with their mindsets ~ all who choose the party line vs the security and protection of our country and the public are beneath contempt ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/01/10 3:22 pm • # 7 
Administrator

For me, 'extort' is exactly the right word ~ Sooz

By [url=/author/Ian M.]Ian Millhiser[/url] on Dec 1st, 2010 at 8:00 pm
Republicans Use Senate Backlog They Created To Extort Tax Cuts For The Super-Rich

Earlier this week, every single Senate Republican released a letter indicating that they would block all Senate business until the wealthiest Americans receive additional tax cuts:

Quote:

[W]e write to inform you that we will not agree to invoke cloture on the motion to proceed to any legislative item until the Senate has acted to fund the government and we have prevented the tax increase that is currently awaiting all American taxpayers. With little time left in this Congressional session, legislative scheduling should be focused on these critical priorities. While there are other items that might ultimately be worthy of the Senate's attention, we cannot agree to prioritize any matters above the critical issues of funding the government and preventing a job-killing tax hike.

Almost immediately, Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) responded to the GOP's obstruction on the Senate floor. “With this letter, they have simply put in writing the political strategy that the Republicans pursued this entire Congress: Namely, obstruct, delay action on critical matters, and then blame the Democrats for not addressing the needs of American people,â€

PostPosted: 12/01/10 3:29 pm • # 8 
Administrator

macroscopic wrote:
i think the democrats should play this one out, and make the gop capitulate to a middle class tax break, or none. i think it is a win-win for them.

if the gop does not capitulate, they will be held responsible for raising the taxes on ALL AMERICANS. that would be good to campaign on.
in addition, it will close the budget deficit, in all likelihood, which would be pretty awesome.

either way, the democrats come out looking good, imo.

I agree with you, Mac ~ I will happily pay higher taxes just to see the Rs fail in this showdown ~ and it looks like Stony Hoyer is on the same page with you/me ~ Sooz

December 1st, 2010
02:37 PM ET 
Hoyer to allow vote Thursday on middle class tax cuts
CNN Congressional Producers Deirdre Walsh and Evan Glass

Washington (CNN) – On the same day Congressional and White House negotiators met to broker a compromise on how to deal with the Bush-era tax cuts that are expiring at the end of the year, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer announced that House Democrats would push ahead on a vote Thursday to permanently extend tax breaks just for those making $250,000 a year or less. Republicans argue tax cuts should be extended for everyone, including the wealthy.

Hoyer said the House bill would include permanent extensions of income tax rates for the middle class, plus tax breaks for married couples, the child tax credit, and the earned income tax credit.

The Maryland Democrat insisted that there was common ground between Republicans and Democrats on ensuring there are no tax increases for people making $250,000 or less and cited several polls showing the American public supports this approach. "We have agreement on that. There is not agreement on other aspects of issue, as you all know. But it is a shame that what we have agreement on is being held hostage by that on which we do not have agreement."

Hoyer maintained that moving forward with just a vote on the so-called middle class tax cuts would not interfere with the negotiations on the broader tax cuts, telling reporters Wednesday he spoke with the House Democratic negotiator in the talks, Maryland Democratic Rep Chris Van Hollen. "He and I both agree that this matter moving forward should not undermine negotiations on a compromise," Hoyer said.

Outgoing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told CNN the vote was always part of the Democrats' plans and was intended to press the importance of their policy stand.

"To show our position very clearly that Democrats support tax cuts for the middle class. We think it is fairer thing to do and is necessary at this time in our economy," Pelosi said.

Hoyer emphasized that Democrats are following through on a commitment to avoid tax increases on the middle class. Republicans, he said, are the ones who decided in 2001 to let the tax cuts expire this year. "It is an effort to show, as we said before the election, that we were going to make sure the middle income working men and women of America did not have the consequences of the Republican sunset."

House GOP Whip Eric Cantor said in a statement the Democrats' plan is a "non-starter, and is completely contrary to the discussions that we had with the President yesterday at the White House. This is nothing more than political chicanery and undermines the President's ongoing discussions and efforts on tax rates."

Cantor said the tax cuts should be extended for everyone.

"We call on Speaker Pelosi and President Obama to stop the gimmicks and allow all members of the House – Republican and Democrat – to vote on legislation that would prevent tax increases for every American," he said.

http://politicalticker.bl...n-middle-class-tax-cuts/

PostPosted: 12/01/10 3:34 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

Obama did his homework on this.
he was right during the campaign.
he should stick to it.

PostPosted: 12/01/10 6:43 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

Obama and the Dems will fold like a house of cards in a hurricane. They have truth, justice, and all that is right with the world on their side-including public opinion- and we'll still all lose because they're a bunch of spineless wimps. ( And that's a heavily sanitized version of the rant going through my head right now.)

PostPosted: 12/02/10 3:16 am • # 11 
I'd like to read the unedited version Choas. Maybe if more people did likewise, some new "talking points" will emerge. Someone needs to stick firecrackers up the Democrats' collective asses - that's the only thing that will seemingly work to wake these idiots up.

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply