It is currently 05/17/24 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/02/10 9:33 am • # 1 
Administrator

VERY interesting read ~ Sooz

By [url=/author/Pat G.]Pat Garofalo[/url] at 1:30 pm
Before Bankruptcy, Conservatives Touted Ireland As Model For U.S.

ThinkProgress intern Riley Waggaman contributed research for this post.

During the 2008 Presidential campaign, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) praised the Irish economy for its low corporate tax rate and said that if the U.S. would just follow suit, companies would “be able to create jobs, increase your business, make more investment.â€

PostPosted: 12/02/10 12:30 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

Chile also failed. it was also held up as a model.
when we reformed the USSR it was hailed. Russia went bankrupt.
Iraq will fail as well, if it has not already done so.

normally, i would suspect that with a record as bad as the Freidmanites have, nobody would listen to them anymore.
but they have an amazing PR department.

PostPosted: 12/03/10 12:03 am • # 3 
macroscopic wrote:
normally, i would suspect that with a record as bad as the Freidmanites have, nobody would listen to them anymore.
but they have an amazing PR department.
That's exactly right. They've crafted a religion around fleecing the poor bastards. The tigers have convinced the little piglets to trust the law of the jungle. So they lline up to offer their throats to the tigers because one day the jungle will make them a tiger, too...one day...if they only keep the faith. It's not a rational argument; it's a religion. And as anyone who has ever tried to have a rational debate with a religionist knows, facts will never even begin to change their minds. The Invisible Hand, peace be upon His name, is all-knowing and all-powerful and He rewards those who trust in Him...sometimes He requires a sacrifice, though.

When you looked back and saw only one set of handprints in the sand, the Invisible Hand had not abandoned you. He was just busy in a closed-door meeting with the Treasury Secretary and the Senate Banking Committee. 

PostPosted: 12/03/10 4:38 am • # 4 
Administrator

Interesting and thought-provoking comments, Norse ~ calling the mindset and tactics a 'religion' never crossed my mind, but makes a lot of sense ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/03/10 4:41 am • # 5 
Administrator

BTW, one of the reasons I found the op interesting is because of the recurring GOP mantra that Obama is trying to "Europeanize" the US ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/03/10 3:53 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
Interesting and thought-provoking comments, Norse ~ calling the mindset and tactics a 'religion' never crossed my mind, but makes a lot of sense ~

Sooz

he is exactly right.  religions require unquestioning loyalty to dogma- in other words BELIEF.  that is what the Freidmanites have.  may God save us all if they ever get in charge.

PostPosted: 12/03/10 3:55 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

ps- i just heard that the majority of citizens here don't believe in the benefits of the free market in some survey. i bet that survey will be systematically subverted, but i would love to see it.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply