It is currently 05/17/24 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/03/10 8:22 am • # 1 
Administrator

The clause "... offensive to the senses" in this public nuisance law is too nebulous and subjective because it doesn't identify whose senses ~ but the second limitation "... interferes with the comfort of an entire neighborhood" is troubling as well if/when applied to minorities ~ while I personally find the snowman extremely offensive, is it really any worse than the ugly, bigoted, violent rhetoric that is spewed every day? ~ Sooz 

Snowman with noose appalls home's neighbors
Man has angered neighbors in the past by flying Aryan Nations flags at his home and handing out bullet casings on Halloween

Associated Press
updated 12/2/2010 5:11:48 PM

This snowman in Hayden, Idaho, has angered several
neighbors and the man who made it could be prosecuted.

A white separatist drew complaints from neighbors and a visit from law enforcement officers after erecting a snowman shaped like a member of the Ku Klux Klan on his front lawn.

Kootenai County sheriff's deputies told Mark Eliseuson Wednesday that he could be charged with a crime because the 10-foot-tall snowman was holding what appeared to be a noose. Deputies were called by neighbors who were appalled by the pointy-headed snowman with two dark eyes.

Hayden for decades earned notoriety for being near the former rural compound of the Aryan Nations.

Eliseuson could have been charged with creating a public nuisance. Idaho law defines such a nuisance as anything "offensive to the senses" or that interferes with the comfort of an entire neighborhood. Eliseuson removed the noose and toppled the snowman after he talked with officers.

Eliseuson told KXLY-TV of Spokane that he sees nothing wrong with the snowman. But other people did.

"It's such a message of hate," said Amber Caldwell, who saw the snowman while visiting her cousin in the neighborhood. "My kids asked me about it and I had to explain what that symbol means."

Eliseuson has angered neighbors in the past by flying Aryan Nations flags at his home. At Halloween he passed out bullet casings after he said he ran out of candy.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/...0480194/ns/us_news-life/

Last edited by sooz06 on 12/03/10 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/03/10 11:18 am • # 2 
Editorialist

I have to say, the first thing I thought, before reading the story was oh, it's Beldar Conehead.

PostPosted: 12/03/10 12:17 pm • # 3 
I've been trying to rewrite the song "Frosty The Snowman" all day long.

"Frosty the racist...."

PostPosted: 12/03/10 1:48 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

I agree that there's a lot of "subjective" in those laws, Sooz. It's his house, his lawn, his snowman....and he has the right to prove what an ass he is. Seems he's been busy cultivating that image anyway.

If  it's legal for anti-abortion protesters to wave around their disgusting "posters" on public property....well.....Image

PostPosted: 12/03/10 4:51 pm • # 5 
I would think his snowman would come under the 1st amendment protection....

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply