It is currently 05/18/24 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ]
 Post subject: More WikiLeaks
PostPosted: 12/05/10 9:37 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Clinton cable shows frustration with Saudis

The United States believes its ally, Saudi Arabia, is ineffective at stopping terrorist fundraising in its own country, according to a cable obtained by WikiLeaks and published by the New York Times and the Guardian.

"It has been an ongoing challenge to persuade Saudi officials to treat terrorist financing from Saudi Arabia as a strategic priority," U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton wrote in a cable on Dec. 30, 2009.

In the same cable, Clinton pointed to donors in Saudi Arabia as the "most significant source of funding to Sunni terrorist groups worldwide."

Such candid remarks had never been made public before the release of diplomatic cables between the U.S. State Department and its embassies and consulates around the world by WikiLeaks. The whistle-blowing website began releasing cables Nov. 28 and plans to publish 251,287 reports in the coming days.

The latest embarrassment for the U.S. fuelled more Republican calls to stop Julian Assange, the editor in chief and public face of WikiLeaks.

"He has done extreme damage to our country and I think he needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law," said Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell said.

Meanwhile, WikiLeaks was forced to switch domain names after its U.S. host blocked the site. It is still reachable at the IP address http://213.251.145.96 from a provider in France.

Assange's lawyer in Britain said his client is holding back some sensitive material about the BP oil spill and Guantanamo Bay, which could be released if anything happens to the website or to him.

"They have been subject to a lot of cyber attacks, they've been subject to censorship around the world and they need to protect themselves and this is what they believe to be a thermo-nuclear device effectively in the electronic age," Mark Stephens told the BBC.

Assange is facing death threats and allegations of sexual misconduct by two WikiLeaks volunteers in Sweden. He has denied any wrongdoing and no charges have been laid.

His lawyer alleges that the case being prepared against Assange in Sweden is politically motivated.

The search for Assange stepped up on Wednesday as Sweden confirmed it issued a European arrest warrant for him. Since leaving Sweden, Assange has appeared in Britain and Switzerland but disappeared from public view after a Nov. 5 news conference in Geneva.

He has spoken publicly only through online interviews, and WikiLeaks spokesman Kristinn Hrafnsson said late Wednesday the organization was trying to keep his location, likely somewhere in Britain, a secret for security reasons. He noted commentators in the United States and Canada had called for Assange to be hunted down or killed.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/12/05/wikileaks-clinton-saudiarabia.html

PostPosted: 12/05/10 9:38 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Ironically, we have made ourselves dependent on a terrorist state.

PostPosted: 12/05/10 9:48 pm • # 3 
Administrator

EU doubts Afghanistan success: WikiLeaks files

Another set of U.S. diplomatic cables collected by WikiLeaks could prove embarrassing for the war effort in Afghanistan.

Leaked memos show European Union President Herman Van Rompuy told the U.S. ambassador to Belgium, Howard Gutman, that the EU no longer believes in the success of the military mission in Afghanistan.

Van Rompuy, a former Belgian prime minister, suggested European troops are still being deployed only to bow to what the United States wants.

"Europe is doing it and will go along out of deference to the United States, but not out of deference to Afghanistan," he is quoted as saying in a cable posted by the WikiLeaks whistleblowing website on Sunday.

In the 2009 memo, Van Rompuy is reported to have said the EU will wait until the end of 2010 to see whether progress is made in Afghanistan.

"No one believes in Afghanistan any more. But we will give it 2010 to see results. If it doesn't work, that will be because it is the last chance. And if a Belgian gets killed, it would be over for Belgium right then," he says.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/12/05/wikileaks-afghanistan.html

PostPosted: 12/06/10 4:12 am • # 4 
"if a Belgian gets killed, it would be over for Belgium right then"

Yep... they'd lose their last soldier...

PostPosted: 12/06/10 4:50 am • # 5 
Administrator

Image ~ Julian Assange will have blood on his hands and be solely responsible if ANY installation on that list anywhere in the world is attacked ~ Sooz

Dec 06, 2010
WikiLeaks reveals security sites 'critical' to U.S.
09:10 AM

A list of U.S. companies and installations around the world regarded as "critical" to the security of the United States has been published online by controversial website WikiLeaks, msnbc.com reports today.

The list includes factories, ports, fuel companies, drug manufacturers, undersea cables, pipelines, communication hubs and a host of other "key resources."

U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Philip Crowley denounced the publication as "irresponsible."

The document was drawn up after the State Department asked diplomats in February 2009 to identify "systems and assets, whether physical or virtual, so vital to the United States the incapacitation or destruction of such systems and assets would have a debilitating impact on security, national economic security, national public health or safety, or any combination of those matters."

"Julian Assange (WikiLeaks's founder) may be directing his efforts at the United States but he is placing the interests of many countries and regions at risk," Crowley said.

(Posted by John Bacon)

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... titialskip

PostPosted: 12/06/10 4:55 am • # 6 
Administrator

So, if James Bay was threatened, what would the US do?
Invade Canada?

PostPosted: 12/06/10 5:56 am • # 7 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
Image ~ Julian Assange will have blood on his hands and be solely responsible if ANY installation on that list anywhere in the world is attacked ~ Sooz

Dec 06, 2010
WikiLeaks reveals security sites 'critical' to U.S.
09:10 AM

A list of U.S. companies and installations around the world regarded as "critical" to the security of the United States has been published online by controversial website WikiLeaks, msnbc.com reports today.

The list includes factories, ports, fuel companies, drug manufacturers, undersea cables, pipelines, communication hubs and a host of other "key resources."

U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Philip Crowley denounced the publication as "irresponsible."

The document was drawn up after the State Department asked diplomats in February 2009 to identify "systems and assets, whether physical or virtual, so vital to the United States the incapacitation or destruction of such systems and assets would have a debilitating impact on security, national economic security, national public health or safety, or any combination of those matters."

"Julian Assange (WikiLeaks's founder) may be directing his efforts at the United States but he is placing the interests of many countries and regions at risk," Crowley said.

(Posted by John Bacon)

http://content.usatoday.c...s/1?loc=interstitialskip
are the sites legal?

PostPosted: 12/06/10 6:01 am • # 8 
Editorialist

moreover, do you really think the terrorists are so stupid as to be unaware of their best targets?

if anything, this list will show them that we are on to them.

honestly, i don't understand the reaction.

PostPosted: 12/06/10 6:07 am • # 9 
Administrator

Do you really think the 'average' zealot thinks things thru, Mac?

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/06/10 6:24 am • # 10 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
Do you really think the 'average' zealot thinks things thru, Mac?

Sooz

let me ask you a question sooz to illustrate what i think: do you think that the 911 hijackers thought things through?

you should really read "Dying To Win" by Pape.  he says it way better than i ever could.

PostPosted: 12/06/10 6:34 am • # 11 
Administrator

I believe the 9/11 hijackers were following orders that sharply focused their own fiery hatred ~ but I also think we've learned [or we should have learned] that there are a LOT of 'lone wolf' types out there willing to sacrifice themselves in the quest to take despised others with them ~

Thanks for the suggestion to read "Dying To Win" by Pape ~ I will do so ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/06/10 6:38 am • # 12 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
I believe the 9/11 hijackers were following orders that sharply focused their own fiery hatred

i don't believe that AT ALL.  i think they acted on their own, and that they carefully planned it for over two years. 

also, the targets were very specific- designed to strike at the heart of western wealth and power.  they were clearly NOT designed to inflict maximum casualties.  if they were, they could have set off a bomb at the Rose Bowl and killed WAY more people.  or they could have attacked a nuke plant, and poisoned us for decades.  no, this was a SYMBOLIC attack.  the targets were designed to inflict maximum "ego damage". 

there were no accidents on 911.  there was no fervor.  it was cold, calculated murder.

Assange gave away nothing other than our knowledge that we know what they know.

Last edited by macroscopic on 12/06/10 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/06/10 7:00 am • # 13 
Administrator

Of course 9/11 was carefully planned ~ and I don't dispute the specificity of the targets or the rationale behind the specificity ~ I  also agree that it was 'cold, calculated murder' ~ but I don't believe that 19 young guys got together over beers and conceived/orchestrated this plan on their own ~ I believe they were willing and eager pawns to others who had and controlled both the finances and the brain power ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/06/10 7:13 am • # 14 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
Of course 9/11 was carefully planned ~ and I don't dispute the specificity of the targets or the rationale behind the specificity ~ I  also agree that it was 'cold, calculated murder' ~ but I don't believe that 19 young guys got together over beers and conceived/orchestrated this plan on their own ~ I believe they were willing and eager pawns to others who had and controlled both the finances and the brain power ~

Sooz

the 911 commission determined that they had no financing.  they ran the operation by working day jobs in the US.  anyway, this is migrating from wikileaks, and i have an insane day ahead of me...so.....cul8r.

i agree that they were zealots.  that is pretty obvious.  but the attacks were very calculated, and that is the norm, not the exception.

PostPosted: 12/06/10 7:43 am • # 15 
Administrator

macroscopic wrote:
sooz08 wrote:

Sooz

the 911 commission determined that they had no financing.  they ran the operation by working day jobs in the US.  anyway, this is migrating from wikileaks, and i have an insane day ahead of me...so.....cul8r.

i agree that they were zealots.  that is pretty obvious.  but the attacks were very calculated, and that is the norm, not the exception.

Agreed, Mac.
Their objective isn't to inflict casualties, it's to terrorize the US by demonstrating that they cannot and will not be stopped... then they sit back and watch the US bleed itself to death. It's been working amazingly well, so far.

PostPosted: 12/06/10 9:15 am • # 16 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
macroscopic wrote:
sooz08 wrote:

Sooz

Agreed, Mac.
Their objective isn't to inflict casualties, it's to terrorize the US by demonstrating that they cannot and will not be stopped... then they sit back and watch the US bleed itself to death. It's been working amazingly well, so far.

it is.  the Bush Era rhetoric was a dream come true for the fundies.  the continuation of the war is also making their recruiting far easier than ours.

like us, they are convinced they are right.  neither of us are right.  but our zealousness has apologists in high places, and theirs does not.

PostPosted: 12/06/10 9:20 am • # 17 
Administrator

The Bush admin certainly cut your veins open.

PostPosted: 12/06/10 9:22 am • # 18 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
totally.  the most isolating regime in history, i think.  awful.  and unfortunately, this admin has been more of a bandaid than stitches.

PostPosted: 12/07/10 6:13 am • # 19 
http://213.251.145.96/about.html Link to Wikileaks aims and mission....I'm not sure about the "national security" violations Assange is accused of, but I do know that "national security" has been an excuse for secrecy and non-transparency by governments around the world since the beginning of time....I find the accusations of sexual misconduct (by the Swedes of all people) to be more than a little convenient....in a time that the news media daily feeds the public dummied down news with little bite, I am sure that a rogue news investigative agency that does not cowtow to political influences is a big headache to some government officials...the anger and reactions of some who stand red faced by the Wikileaks revelations and these peoples' determination to "get" Assange speaks to me of a united agenda to stifle the press, with many players joining in the effort...and these people of power will stop at nothing in stopping Wikileaks...the anger is all focused on Assange, a spokesperson for many journalists...it reminds me of little brother tattling to mom that big sister is in the cookie jar, and big sister is furious at little brother for ratting her off when in fact big sister was committing the wrong....only in this case it would appear that Mom is joining big sister in being angry with little brother for tattling......

PostPosted: 12/07/10 6:26 am • # 20 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:
oskar576 wrote:
totally.  the most isolating regime in history, i think.  awful.  and unfortunately, this admin has been more of a bandaid than stitches.

Excellent analogy mac! 

PostPosted: 12/07/10 6:44 am • # 21 
An example of wikileaks:   http://www.collateralmurder.com/

PostPosted: 12/07/10 6:45 am • # 22 
Administrator

Cannalee2 wrote:
http://213.251.145.96/about.html Link to Wikileaks aims and mission....I'm not sure about the "national security" violations Assange is accused of, but I do know that "national security" has been an excuse for secrecy and non-transparency by governments around the world since the beginning of time....I find the accusations of sexual misconduct (by the Swedes of all people) to be more than a little convenient....in a time that the news media daily feeds the public dummied down news with little bite, I am sure that a rogue news investigative agency that does not cowtow to political influences is a big headache to some government officials...the anger and reactions of some who stand red faced by the Wikileaks revelations and these peoples' determination to "get" Assange speaks to me of a united agenda to stifle the press, with many players joining in the effort...and these people of power will stop at nothing in stopping Wikileaks...the anger is all focused on Assange, a spokesperson for many journalists...it reminds me of little brother tattling to mom that big sister is in the cookie jar, and big sister is furious at little brother for ratting her off when in fact big sister was committing the wrong....only in this case it would appear that Mom is joining big sister in being angry with little brother for tattling......

I might be alone here but I believe there ARE some things that should be kept confidential on the grounds of national security ~ is the claim of 'national security' used too often and too easily? ~ sure ~ but the problem as I see it is that without the proper background knowledge, it is VERY easy to misinterpret the 'raw material' with no context, which is most of what Wikileaks exposes ~ it's my understanding that Wikileaks accepts information from anonymous sources, with no due diligence to confirm either the sources or the material ~ think about that for just a minute ~ the most unhinged whacko can give Wikileaks a totally fabricated fantasy and Wikileaks exposes it ~ there is a time and a place and a procedure for legit whistle-blowers ~ the legits have and produce evidence of their claims ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/07/10 7:18 am • # 23 
Administrator

it's my understanding that Wikileaks accepts information from anonymous sources, with no due diligence to confirm either the sources or the material ~

And you got that "understanding" from?

PostPosted: 12/07/10 10:16 am • # 24 
Administrator

Actually, WikiLeaks made the material available to five newspapers.
It is they who published the information and iis they who allegedly did the due diligence.

Q: Why are they not being accused of anything and everything under the sun?
A: Because they have the means and the tools to fight back and, quite possibly, win.

PostPosted: 12/08/10 11:11 am • # 25 
Administrator

If nothing else, this highlights how vulnerable to hackers online sites are ~ and is the main reason cyber forensics is one og the fastest-growing fields ~ Sooz

Hackers launch online attacks upon MasterCard, other perceived enemies of WikiLeaks' Assange

Associated Press
3:45 p.m. CST,
December 8, 2010

LONDON (AP) — Hackers rushed to the defense of WikiLeaks on Wednesday, launching attacks on MasterCard, Visa, Swedish prosecutors, a Swiss bank and others who have acted against the site and its jailed founder Julian Assange.

Internet "hacktivists" operating under the label "Operation Payback" claimed responsibility in a Twitter message for causing severe technological problems at the website for MasterCard, which pulled the plug on its relationship with WikiLeaks a day ago.

MasterCard acknowledged "a service disruption" involving its Secure Code system for verifying online payments, but spokesman James Issokson said consumers could still use their credit cards for secure transactions. Later Wednesday, Visa's website was inaccessible.

The online attacks are part of a wave of support for WikiLeaks that is sweeping the Internet. Twitter was choked with messages of solidarity for the group, while the site's Facebook page hit 1 million fans.

Late Wednesday, Operation Payback itself appeared to run into problems, as many of its sites went down. It was unclear who was behind the counterattack.

MasterCard is the latest in a string of U.S.-based Internet companies — including Visa, Amazon.com, PayPal Inc. and EveryDNS — to cut ties to WikiLeaks in recent days amid intense U.S. government pressure. PayPal was not having problems Wednesday but the company said it faced "a dedicated denial-of-service attack" on Monday.

WikiLeaks' extensive releases of secret U.S. diplomatic cables have embarrassed U.S. allies, angered rivals, and reopened old wounds across the world. U.S. officials in Washington say other countries have curtailed their dealings with the U.S. government because of WikiLeaks' actions.

PayPal Vice President Osama Bedier said the company froze WikiLeaks' account after seeing a letter from the U.S. State Department to WikiLeaks saying that the group's activities "were deemed illegal in the United States."

Offline, WikiLeaks was under pressure on many fronts. Assange is in a British prison fighting extradition to Sweden over a sex crimes case. Recent moves by Swiss Postfinance, MasterCard, PayPal and others that cut the flow of donations to the group have impaired its ability to raise money.

Neither WikiLeaks nor Assange has been charged with any offense in the U.S., but the U.S. government is investigating whether Assange can be prosecuted for espionage or other offenses. Assange has not been charged with any offenses in Sweden either, but authorities there want to question him about the allegations of sex crimes.

Undeterred, WikiLeaks released more confidential U.S. cables Wednesday. The latest batch showed the British government feared a furious Libyan reaction if the convicted Lockerbie bomber wasn't set free and expressed relief when they learned he would be released in 2009 on compassionate grounds.

Another U.S. memo described German leader Angela Merkel as the "Teflon" chancellor, but she brushed it off as mere chatter at a party. American officials were also shown to be lobbying the Russian government to amend a financial bill they felt would disadvantage U.S. companies Visa and MasterCard.

The most surprising cable of the day came from a U.S. diplomat in Saudi Arabia after a night on the town.

"The underground nightlife of Jiddah's elite youth is thriving and throbbing," the memo said. "The full range of worldly temptations and vices are available — alcohol, drugs, sex — but all behind closed doors."

The pro-WikiLeaks vengeance campaign on Wednesday appeared to be taking the form of denial-of-service attacks in which computers are harnessed — sometimes surreptitiously — to jam target sites with mountains of requests for data, knocking them out of commission.

Per Hellqvist, a security specialist with the firm Symantec, said a network of web activists called Anonymous — to which Operation Payback is affiliated — appeared to be behind many of the attacks. The group, which has previously focused on the Church of Scientology and the music industry, is knocking offline websites seen as hostile to WikiLeaks.

"While we don't have much of an affiliation with WikiLeaks, we fight for the same reasons," the group said in a statement. "We want transparency and we counter censorship ... we intend to utilize our resources to raise awareness, attack those against and support those who are helping lead our world to freedom and democracy."

The website for Swedish lawyer Claes Borgstrom, who represents the two women at the center of Assange's sex crimes case, was unreachable Wednesday.

The Swiss postal system's financial arm, Postfinance, which shut down Assange's bank account on Monday, was also having trouble. Spokesman Alex Josty said the website buckled under a barrage of traffic Tuesday.

"Yesterday it was very, very difficult, then things improved overnight," he told the AP. "But it's still not entirely back to normal."

Ironically, the microblogging site Twitter — home of much WikiLeaks support — could become the next target. Operation Payback posted a statement claiming "Twitter you're next for censoring Wikileaks discussion."

Some WikiLeaks supporters accuse Twitter of preventing the term "WikiLeaks" from appearing as one of its popular "trending topics." Twitter denies censorship, saying the topics are determined by an algorithm.

Twitter's top trending topics are not the ones people are discussing the most overall, but those they are talking about more right now than they did previously, Twitter explained in an e-mail Wednesday. If tweets were ranked by volume alone, the weather or other mundane topics would dominate the trends.

WikiLeaks angered the U.S. government earlier this year when it posted a video showing U.S. troops on a helicopter gunning down two Reuters journalists in Iraq. Since then, the organization has leaked some 400,000 classified U.S. war files from Iraq and 76,000 from Afghanistan, which U.S. military officials say could put people's lives at risk. In the last few weeks, the group has begun leaking a massive trove of secret U.S. diplomatic cables.

U.S. officials have directed their anger at Assange, but others have begun to ask whether Washington shares the blame for the diplomatic uproar.

"The core of all this lies with the failure of the government of the United States to properly protect its own diplomatic communications," Australian Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd said Wednesday, criticizing the fact that tens of thousands of U.S. government employees had access to the cables.

Assange, meanwhile, faces a new extradition hearing in London next week where his lawyers plan to reapply for bail. The 39-year-old Australian denies two women's allegations in Sweden of rape, molestation and unlawful coercion, and is fighting his extradition to Sweden.

In a Twitter message Wednesday, WikiLeaks spokesman Kristinn Hrafnsson shrugged off the challenges.

"We will not be gagged, either by judicial action or corporate censorship ... WikiLeaks is still online," Hrafnsson said.

Malin Rising in Stockholm, Frank Jordans in Geneva, Jamey Keaten in Paris, Cassandra Vinograd in London, Rod McGuirk in Canberra, Brian Murphy in Dubai, Tia Goldenberg in Jerusalem, Michelle Chapman, Peter Svensson and Barbara Ortutay in New York and Anne Flaherty in Washington contributed to this report.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... full.story

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ] New Topic Add Reply