It is currently 04/28/24 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 35 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/19/10 10:04 am • # 26 
Administrator

The current crop of R politicians generally, and Kyl specifically, are very accomplished ... at lying ~ flat-out dishonesty, not to mention the frequent accompanying distortion and manipulation ~ the paragraph following the clip tells the story ~ Sooz

By [url=/author/Tanya Somanader]Tanya Somanader[/url] at 1:00 pm
Kyl Denies Health Care For 9/11 Rescue Workers Because He Doesn't Want To ‘Hurry'

Committed to the obstruction of any Democratic priority, Senate Republicans successfully blocked the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act that gives desperately-needed compensation to first responders who contracted serious illnesses while working at Ground Zero. While happy to exploit 9/11 heroes in support of their own agenda, not one Republican came to the Senate floor to explain their opposition to this bill. Their indifference towards the first responders, however, surfaced elsewhere. When confronted on Fox News, Sen. John Thune (R-SD) insisted that the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy were a higher priority. In the Senate rotunda, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) stepped around a first responder asking for his support, telling him “I can't help you.â€

PostPosted: 12/21/10 5:57 am • # 27 
Administrator

I wouldn't understand this even if it were a policy difference ~ but it's not a policy difference

PostPosted: 12/21/10 7:20 am • # 28 
Administrator

I can only repeat my comments from my prior post: "I wouldn't understand this even if it were a policy difference ~ but it's not a policy difference ~ this is purely ego-driven petulant, dishonest, and sociopathic partisanship ~ Image" ~ emphasis/bolding below is mine ~ Sooz

COBURN PREPARED TO KILL 9/11 HEALTH BILL.... The Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act, which would pay health care costs for 9/11 rescue workers, sickened after exposure to toxic smoke and debris, actually seemed to be picking up speed. Proponents changed the financing mechanism, and it appeared that the GOP-mandated supermajority , needed to overcome Republican a filibuster was more or less in place.

But to get the bill onto the floor and passed before the end of the lame-duck session, Democratic leaders would have to thread a small needle. One right-wing senator intends to make sure that doesn't happen.

Quote:

New York Democrats hoping for quick action on a bill to give health care compensation to Ground Zero workers are about to run into Tom Coburn.

The Oklahoma Republican and physician -- known in the Senate as "Dr. No" for his penchant in blocking bills -- told POLITICO Monday night he wouldn't allow the bill to move quickly, saying he has problems with parts of the bill and the process Democrats are employing.

On Fox News this morning, Coburn said that the bill's prospects in the lame duck are "doubtful," adding that the proposal has been "drawn up and forced through Congress at the end of the year," and "this bill hasn't even been through a committee."

It's important to emphasize how very wrong Coburn is. The 9/11 health bill is only being rushed now because the session is almost over. It's been pending for over a year; it's already been brought to the floor once; and it would have been done a long time ago were it not for obstructionism from the likes of Coburn.

As for the committee process, the legislation received a hearing in the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee in June.

Coburn should know this -- he's a member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee. At a minimum, he should check before lying to a national television audience.

—Steve Benen 11:25 AM December 21, 2010

http://www.washingtonmont...idual/2010_12/027189.php

PostPosted: 12/22/10 5:01 am • # 29 
Administrator

It's about time that Coburn is identified as a partisan pariah ~ even Fox News [yes, Fox News] is slamming him for this hold ~ I find it despicable in the extreme that Coburn didn't have the simple decency to meet with these rescue workers ~ he obviously enjoys playing the 'tough guy', but in reality he's a disgrace and an embarrassment, not only to all of us

PostPosted: 12/22/10 5:31 am • # 30 
Administrator

Well, apparently things at Fox have returned to normal ~ yesterday, Fox was targeting Coburn, but they've regained their 'balance' and are back to targeting Ds ~ obstructing this bill from getting to the floor for debate and a vote is yet another grudge I will carry against Rs ~ and I fervantly hope Eric Boehlert's prediction that "There's a special place in hell for these people." proves true ~ Sooz

FOX NEWS BLAMES DEMS ON 9/11 HEALTH BILL.... If you missed "Fox & Friends" this morning, you missed the co-hosts doing their very best to blame delays on the Zadroga 9/11 health bill on Democrats. Steve Doocy went so far as to say the "Democratic House killed" the bill in July, without noting that it was Republicans that blocked passage -- and that it was Dems who ultimately got the bill through the chamber.

Doocy added that paying for first responders' health care without adding to the deficit -- as opposed to, say, paying for tax cuts for millionaires -- is what really matters.

Eric Boehlert noted this morning, "There's a special place in hell for these people."

For what it's worth, the Senate still hopes to get this done today, and will try to break a Republican filibuster. It would then head back to the House, where there's a serious concern not enough lawmakers will be on hand to pass the bill.

Update: Look for floor action in the Senate around noon. Proponents are cautiously optimistic.

—Steve Benen 9:50 AM December 22, 2010

http://www.washingtonmont...idual/2010_12/027205.php

PostPosted: 12/22/10 5:54 am • # 31 
Editorialist

sooz- i would not give up on this yet. it may have gotten just enough press to reach the tipping point.

i can't believe that last thing he said about PayGo.  the GOP filibustered THAT, too. 
he prevaricates with the best of them.

Last edited by macroscopic on 12/22/10 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/22/10 7:33 am • # 32 
Administrator

Given my non-existent confidence in R politicians, we'll see how this works out ~ if it passes, it goes in my 'good but needs to be better' pile ~ Sooz

DEAL STRUCK ON 9/11 HEALTH BILL, SENATE PASSAGE VERY LIKELY.... Key players in the Senate debated privately for hours last night, trying to work out a deal on the 9/11 health bill. As of this morning, the fate of the Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act, which would pay health care costs for 9/11 rescue workers, sickened after exposure to toxic smoke and debris, was still in doubt.

The votes appeared to be in place to overcome a Republican filibuster, but in the interests of time, the Senate was seeking unanimous consent. Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) refused to go along.

As of this afternoon, the New York Daily News, which has done fantastic work covering the issue, reports that a deal appears to have been struck that will allow for final passage.

Quote:

Sens. Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand met with other senators' staffers and aides to Rep. Carolyn Maloney's office until well after midnight to cut a new deal on a measure to aid ailing 9/11 responders.

The agreement trims the cost of the package to $4.3 billion, sources close to the deal said.

The proposal had initially cost $7.4 billion, and had been trimmed earlier this week to $6.2 billion.

Senators reached a final agreement on the proposal at about 11:30 Wednesday morning after the New York Democrats met for an hour with the prime GOP opponents, Sens. Mike Enzi of Wyoming and Tom Coburn of Oklahoma.

The Senate leadership has reportedly signed off on the agreement, and expects to pass the bill this afternoon. Greg Sargent and ABC's Rick Klein are hearing the same thing.

If all goes according to plan -- and at this point, it should -- this should clear quite a few things up. Not only will 9/11 heroes be able to get much-needed medical care, but New START ratification can proceed this afternoon, too. The House, which has been cooling its heels waiting for the Zadroga bill, should be able to pass this with relative ease -- more than 90% of House Republicans opposed it when it initially passed the chamber, but given recent developments, and unanimous Senate support, it stands to reason they'll be more supportive later today.

As for the substantive changes, there's a real concern that reducing the cost of the package to $4.3 billion, from $7.4 billion, will undercut the amount of care available, and the number of rescue workers who'll be eligible. It's possible, then, that the next Congress will have to revisit this issue in the future.

In the meantime, Democratic negotiators very likely concluded that $4.3 billion is far better than zero. For those sick first responders and their families, this is still excellent news.

—Steve Benen 1:00 PM December 22, 2010

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archiv ... 027211.php

PostPosted: 12/22/10 9:34 am • # 33 
Administrator

WOOO HOOO!!! ~ gotta find more on this ~ but, with the exception of the omnibus funding bill [which was replaced with a Continuing Resolution until March I think], I believe this is a clean sweep in the lame duck session ~ Sooz

37 minutes ago

(CNN) - The Senate on Wednesday passed a compromise bill that provides free health care to first responders of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attack in New York.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

PostPosted: 12/22/10 9:56 am • # 34 
Administrator

Correcting and tamping down my glee in my prior post, [1] the bill now goes to the House, where it is 'expected' to pass as well ~ and [2] it's not a clean sweep because of the hold-up on the DREAM Act ~

Sooz

Last edited by sooz06 on 12/22/10 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/22/10 10:05 am • # 35 
Editorialist

yeah. the fate of this one is less certain. but i think it will go.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 35 posts ] New Topic Add Reply