It is currently 05/18/24 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 34 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/12/10 4:36 am • # 1 
Administrator

What exactly is it about 'services are provided via taxes' that people don't/can't/refuse to understand? ~ Image ~ Sooz

PUTTING A TEA PARTIER ATTITUDE TO THE TEST.... It may seem hard to believe, but when voters elect conservative Tea Party candidates to cut taxes, and those same voters expect public services to remain intact, the results aren't pretty.

Take Long Island's Nassau County, for example.

Quote:

Facing a huge budget deficit when he took office in January, Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano did not impose a hiring freeze. He did not stop borrowing to subsidize some of the richest school districts in the country. He did not eliminate the Police Department's beloved mounted unit.

Instead, Mr. Mangano, a Republican who won one of the first upsets of the Tea Party era, did what he had promised: He cut taxes, adding $40 million to the county's deficit, which has since reached nearly $350 million.

Now, with its bonds suddenly downgraded and a state oversight agency preparing to seize its checkbook and credit cards, Nassau is on the verge of a full-fledged fiscal crisis.

You don't say.

The NYT report noted this as a classic example of taxpayers "accustomed to high levels of services" struggling to adapt to "protracted lean times." There may be some truth to that, but this is actually an example of a larger lesson -- locals in Nassau County aren't just reluctant to part with public services they want and appreciate, they chose a county executive to cut their taxes at the same time.

It's one thing to balk when budget shortfalls lead to painful cutbacks; it's something else to make matters much worse by electing a Tea Partier who'll push your community into receivership.

—Steve Benen 10:10 AM December 12, 2010

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archiv ... 027045.php

PostPosted: 12/12/10 5:52 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Everytime I hear about the Tea Partiers I get reminded of the lady TP who was ranting about taxes to a reporter and then paniced when told it meant her social security and medicare might be affected.  Apprently it's only the other guy who has "entitlements".  Her's were deserved.

PostPosted: 12/12/10 12:47 pm • # 3 

jim, do you have a link to the video of that encounter?

PostPosted: 12/12/10 4:07 pm • # 4 
Just because he doesn't provide a link doesn't mean it's not true... I saw similar videos too.

PostPosted: 12/12/10 4:36 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

In the US House of Reps and in the Senate, the Tea Party has met the Borg, and will be assimilated.  Resistance is few tile.

PostPosted: 12/12/10 4:51 pm • # 6 
I haven't seen such a video.  I was asking for a link to one because I haven't seen one.  I do recall people relaying stories about such comments, but I've never seen such an interview by a reporter.

PostPosted: 12/12/10 5:11 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

I did see a news clip of an older woman talking about the need to cut government programs to the bone, and the reporter asks her or reminds her about the effect of the cuts on her social security and medicare. After a moment of silence she says, "Yes, well that's sort of a conumdrum, isn't it".  Pretty sure I have the quote right.  The implication was that she hadn't thoujght about her benefits actually being government programs. I'll try to google the quote, maybe find the clip.

PostPosted: 12/12/10 5:25 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

Ok, I didn't see it, I read it. From the widely quoted New York Times article discussing the results of the survey that identified Tea Partiers as " wealthier and more well-educated than the general public":

"When talking about the Tea Party movement, the largest number of respondents said that the movement's goal should be reducing the size of government, more than cutting the budget deficit or lowering taxes. And nearly three-quarters of those who favor smaller government said they would prefer it even if it meant spending on domestic programs would be cut. But in follow-up interviews, Tea Party supporters said they did not want to cut Medicare or Social Security — the biggest domestic programs, suggesting instead a focus on “waste.â€

PostPosted: 12/14/10 4:51 am • # 9 
Editorialist

I saw a video.  It was from Massachusetts when Scott Brown was running for Senator.  I thought it was posted here at some point.  I'll see if I can find a link but it will take some research.

PostPosted: 12/14/10 4:53 am • # 10 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:

one question, gop- would it shock you if he could produce such a video?

PostPosted: 12/14/10 5:04 am • # 11 
Administrator

There were several clips and print items, especially during the time of the town hall meetings, that showed the tea partiers not recognizing that social security and medicare are 'government programs' ~ I'm sure at least some of that is posted here ~ if anyone can remember the time frame of the majority of town hall meetings [I'm thinking maybe summer/fall 2009], it will make it easier to search here ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/14/10 5:16 am • # 12 
Editorialist

The one I'm thinking of was a town hall meeting in Massachusetts.  The special election was in January 2010 so it would have been Sept- Dec 2009.

PostPosted: 12/14/10 6:16 am • # 13 
Editorialist

gopqed wrote:

Gop:  There was no video.  The comment I was referring to is the one from the NYT that Grampatom linked to.  It seems to me that the entire Tea Party/GOP argument gets down to "earmarks", welfare payments and the Depatment of Education. 

Eliminating "earmarks" would have minimal effect on the budget and, in fact, would probably increase the deficit since, often as not, they are aimed at job creation or preserving the tax base.  Many, if not most, would still proceed out of necessity.

Eliminating welfare would simply increase the amount paid for policing, courts and prisons as well as being a general threat to national security.  Seldom do you see a revolution come about so that the rich can benefit from starving the poor.

Eliminating the Department of Education would simply force the costs back on the States.  The necessity for public education would not go away.  All that would happen is that the quality of education would suffer. 

PostPosted: 12/14/10 7:03 am • # 14 
Editorialist

PostPosted: 12/14/10 8:09 am • # 15 
Administrator

John59 wrote:

Now that's hilarious!

PostPosted: 12/14/10 10:56 am • # 16 
Editorialist

roaming our streets, carrying signs that should mean something but don't.   These people are becoming the "ignorant majority."   

just a sample.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUPMjC9mq5Y

PostPosted: 12/14/10 12:22 pm • # 17 
Administrator

No comments, gopqed?

PostPosted: 12/14/10 2:26 pm • # 18 
Heeeere goppy goppy goppy.....

c'mon.....

hmmm... not even a nibble...

PostPosted: 12/14/10 2:33 pm • # 19 
Administrator

If those clips showed the "average American voter", the country's in deep shyte.

PostPosted: 12/14/10 3:21 pm • # 20 
Editorialist

oskar- did you see the video from the Palin Booksigning Tour?

oh man.

that one is jaw dropping. let me see if i can find it....

PostPosted: 12/14/10 3:46 pm • # 21 
Editorialist

http://www.youtube.com/us...tMedia#p/u/7/mKKKgua7wQk

seriously awesome. i am like....still stunned at this one.

PostPosted: 12/14/10 4:50 pm • # 22 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:

Macro, that was filmed in my home state. Watching that I can see why we elected John Kasich governor.

One thought occurs to me after watching that video; That Fox News is successful at misinforming people.

PostPosted: 12/14/10 5:21 pm • # 23 
Editorialist

John59 wrote:
macroscopic wrote:

Macro, that was filmed in my home state. Watching that I can see why we elected John Kasich governor.

One thought occurs to me after watching that video; That Fox News is successful at misinforming people.

successful isn't even close to adequate.  it is extraordinarily successful.  they have legions of believers in their rubbish as if it were God's truth.  it is kinda frightening.

Last edited by macroscopic on 12/14/10 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/14/10 8:39 pm • # 24 
"Much afraid of what is happening in America, I really am" (last old coot interviewed)  yeah, I agree with the old geezer...if these people are representative of John Q Public, we better be afraid...OMG!  They don't know what her foreign policy stances are, but they'll vote for her (Palin)...she is our first line of security against Russia...now that's a scarey thought...and the one old geezer even admits he's "heard it several times" thus he believes a lie re our President...and I won't even begin to discuss the archaic barbarity of "Drill baby drill" statement made by the one doting lunatic...and these people vote....now that's a really scarey thought....!

PostPosted: 12/15/10 2:35 am • # 25 
I can't watch it all... it makes me queazy. All I can say is: I'm glad I live in Canada.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 34 posts ] New Topic Add Reply