It is currently 05/18/24 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/13/10 3:54 am • # 1 
Administrator

I find two points of interest in this item ~ first, Boehner exposes [at least those of us paying attention] how tightly the Rs control/manipulate the message ~ and second, silly me but I thought ALL congresspeople were elected to govern whether in the majority or minority ~ in the past decade, the Rs have proven that 'governing' is not their strength [no matter majority or minority] ~ Sooz

BOEHNER ON COMPROMISE: 'I REJECT THE WORD'.... In a segment last night, "60 Minutes" featured incoming House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), in what was basically a bio piece. This wasn't hard hitting, and it wasn't intended to be -- most Americans have no idea who John Boehner is, so the story was basically an introduction.

And while I suspect much of the attention will end up focused on Boehner crying -- as is his wont -- during the interview, there were a couple of a substantive exchanges.

Most notably, Lesley Stahl brought up the notion of a conservative Republican Speaker cooperating with a Democratic president. It led to this back and forth:

Quote:

Boehner: We have to govern. That's what we were elected to do.

Stahl: But governing means compromising.

Boehner: It means working together.

Stahl: It also means compromising.

Boehner: It means finding common ground.

Stahl: Okay, is that compromising?

Boehner: I made it clear I am not gonna compromise on my principles, nor am I gonna compromise...

Stahl: What are you saying?

Boehner: ...the will of the American people.

Stahl: You're saying, "I want common ground, but I'm not gonna compromise." I don't understand that. I really don't.

Boehner: When you say the word "compromise," a lot of Americans look up and go, "Uh-oh, they're gonna sell me out." And so finding common ground, I think, makes more sense.

When Stahl noted the tax deal, and the fact that Boehner had to make concessions when dealing with the White House, she said Boehner did, in fact, "compromise." Boehner replied, "We found common ground."

Stahl responded that Boehner seemed "afraid of the word." The incoming Speaker replied, "I reject the word."

I suppose some of this comes down to semantics. Boehner's willing to work with Democrats and find areas of common ground, but he's not willing to "compromise." What's the difference? I haven't the foggiest idea. Perhaps Frank Luntz told Boehner the "c" word polls poorly, so it's been dropped from the Republican lexicon.

Regardless, it's hardly encouraging. We're poised to have a large, conservative Republican House majority, an utterly-dysfunctional Senate with a narrow Democratic majority, and a Democratic White House. Each has principles they'll want to defend; each believes they've received a mandate from the electorate; and each believes the public sides with them.

And it's against this backdrop that the incoming Speaker of the House says of compromise, "I reject the word."

Here's hoping White House officials were paying attention to the comment.

—[url=mailto:sbenen@washingtonmonthly.com]Steve Benen[/url] 8:30 AM December 13, 2010

http://www.washingtonmont...idual/2010_12/027050.php

Last edited by sooz06 on 12/13/10 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/13/10 4:04 am • # 2 
Administrator

There's a bit more/different detail in this item ~ but the clip is well-worth watching ~

PostPosted: 12/13/10 4:09 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Well R's have managed to turn lots of good words into "bad words"- ( "elite", "liberal", "progressive", etc.) so what's one more? 

PostPosted: 12/13/10 6:19 am • # 4 
Editorialist

"working together" means not compromising.

got it.

PostPosted: 12/13/10 7:34 am • # 5 
Administrator

macroscopic wrote:

got it.
I'm glad you do.

PostPosted: 12/13/10 7:46 am • # 6 
Administrator

C'mon oskar ~ think Alice-in-Wonderlandish ~ up is down ~ day is night ~ hot is cold ~ here is there ~ left is right ~ got it now? ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/13/10 8:09 am • # 7 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
C'mon oskar ~ think Alice-in-Wonderlandish ~ up is down ~ day is night ~ hot is cold ~ here is there ~ left is right ~ got it now? ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/13/10 8:11 am • # 8 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
macroscopic wrote:

got it.
I'm glad you do.
question: is Boehner married?

PostPosted: 12/13/10 8:22 am • # 9 
Editorialist

I think he's come up with a useful concept, though.
State trooper: "Sir, I have pulled you over because you were speeding"
Me: "Officer, I reject the word".

Minister: "...and do you, John, take this woman to be you lawfully wedded wife, for richer or poorer, in sickness or in health as long as you both shall live, if so say 'I do'".
Groom: "I reject that word...all of those words."

PostPosted: 12/13/10 8:36 am • # 10 
I reject words entirely.... To hell with language I say! Words only get in the way of speaking my mind.

(figure that one out)

PostPosted: 12/13/10 9:43 am • # 11 
Editorialist

♫♫...It's only words, and words are all I have...♫♫

PostPosted: 12/13/10 1:51 pm • # 12 
mmmpff phfffmmm mmph mmmmpmmfff....

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply