It is currently 05/18/24 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/13/10 5:46 am • # 1 
Administrator

I see a lot of truth and value in this study ~ I'm not saying all mega wealthy are insensitive jerks ~ but it makes sense that those who are not confronted with daily personal hurdles relating to financial or work problems wouldn't be adept at understanding the emotional impact of those problems ~ they simply have no basis for comparison ~ Sooz

Rich people have no idea what you're thinking

Wondering why your fat cat boss seems so clueless about why you don't want to work extra shifts during the holidays? It could be because he can't understand the dour looks you keep throwing his way.

Upper-class people are less adept at reading other people's emotions than their lower-class counterparts, according to a new study published in the journal Psychological Science.

“We found that people from a lower-class background – in terms of occupation, status, education and income level – performed better in terms of emotional intelligence, the ability to read the emotions that others are feeling,â€

PostPosted: 12/13/10 8:42 am • # 2 
Rich people lack empathy - that's how they get rich.

PostPosted: 12/13/10 10:25 am • # 3 
This is also the basis of standpoint theory which we spent the better part of a semester on...

• —
Standpoints are ways to view the world, informed by experiences
[*]
—
Differences in power create different standpoints [*]
—
Members of most and least powerful groups will likely have opposing standpoints [*]
—
Standpoint of the oppressed is privileged – Perspectives from the less powerful can provide more objective views of reality that from the perspective of the more powerful [*]
—
Standpoints are partial, meaning that only a variety of standpoints can give a more accurate depiction of reality [*]
—
Individuals can have a variety of standpoints (“double visionâ€

PostPosted: 12/13/10 11:51 am • # 4 
Editorialist

Reminds me of the following...

"Almost everyone I've talked to says, 'We're gonna move to Houston.' What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas... Everybody is so overwhelmed by the hospitality, and so many of the people in the arenas here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this (as she chuckles slightly) is working very well for them."

Barbara Bush, while visiting a Houston relief center for people displaced by Hurricane Katrina

PostPosted: 12/13/10 12:33 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Rich people hire other people to do their thinking for them.
They hire tax accountants, legal advisors, portfolio managers, ... heck, they even hire people to drive them around and cook their bloody meals.

They don't have to think at all.

PostPosted: 12/13/10 12:46 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

This is what rich and generous people should think.........and do!

Mactaggarts donate family home, land to U of A

University president ponders conference centre on $28M site

EDMONTON — Sandy and Cecile Mactaggart Monday morning announced the donation of their home to the University of Alberta.

The house and surrounding lands, valued at about $28 million, could become a retreat or conference centre for the university, said university president Indira Samarasekera. But their value goes far beyond their external beauty. The house is also historically significance as a place where many of Edmonton's business and cultural leaders have gathered in an informal setting to sort through contemporary challenges over the last half-century.

“It would be an ideal gathering place,â€

Last edited by roseanne on 12/13/10 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/13/10 1:04 pm • # 7 
Administrator

[quote="roseanne"]This is what rich and generous people should think.........and do!

Mactaggarts donate family home, land to U of A

University president ponders conference centre on $28M site

EDMONTON — Sandy and Cecile Mactaggart Monday morning announced the donation of their home to the University of Alberta.

The house and surrounding lands, valued at about $28 million, could become a retreat or conference centre for the university, said university president Indira Samarasekera. But their value goes far beyond their external beauty. The house is also historically significance as a place where many of Edmonton's business and cultural leaders have gathered in an informal setting to sort through contemporary challenges over the last half-century.

“It would be an ideal gathering place,â€

PostPosted: 12/13/10 3:11 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

NO one knows what i'm thinking.

Bwahahahahaha

PostPosted: 12/13/10 4:49 pm • # 9 
Administrator

roseanne and oskar, I'm going to edit both of your posts by resizing the link which is what I think stretched the page ~ I am not changing anything other than the size/length of the link ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/13/10 7:06 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

PostPosted: 12/13/10 8:58 pm • # 11 
Administrator

Is that why I whistle so much? Image

PostPosted: 12/14/10 2:07 am • # 12 
Editorialist

Yes, Jab, that's what all us simple folk do.    

PostPosted: 12/14/10 3:20 am • # 13 

PostPosted: 12/14/10 4:36 am • # 14 
Editorialist

nice

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply