It is currently 05/13/24 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/15/10 3:04 am • # 1 
Administrator

BUSTED! ~ LOL ~ I can't decide if Mitch McConnell and his R cronies are really this stupid or if they just assume [with cause, I might add] that the public is this stupid ~ personally, I don't have much of a problem with earmarks so long as the funds are used to maintain/repair infrastructure or to solve significant problems/fulfill significant needs in states ~ Sooz

MITCH MCCONNELL'S SHORT MEMORY.... One of the first fights after the midterm elections occurred within the Senate Republican caucus, with a dispute over whether to impose a moratorium on earmarks.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) opposed the move, but on Nov. 15, threw in the towel. He explained on the floor, "I've talked with my members. I've listened to them. Above all, I have listened to my constituents. And what I've concluded is that on the issue of congressional earmarks, as the leader of my party in the Senate, I have to lead first by example."

That was four weeks ago. As of yesterday, the Senate was set to consider an omnibus bill to keep the government running for the rest of the fiscal year. The $1.2 trillion spending measure includes more than 6,000 earmarks totaling $8 billion. Among the senators inserting earmarks: Mitch McConnell.

Quote:

Formerly a member of the committee that doles out earmarks, McConnell reluctantly embraced a moratorium on the practice last month to send a signal that Republicans are serious about curbing spending.

Yet the legislation includes provisions requested this year by McConnell, including $650,000 for a genetic technology center at the University of Kentucky, according to an analysis of the bill by Taxpayers for Common Sense, a nonpartisan watchdog.

Saying he was now "vigorously in opposition" to the legislation, McConnell said Tuesday that rushed consideration of the bill "here on Christmas Eve" compelled him to try to block the bill through a filibuster. "I'm going to vote against things that arguably would benefit my state. I do not think this is the appropriate way to run the Senate," he said.

But McConnell, like other new earmark opponents, stopped short of asking for his projects to be removed from the bill.

So much for "leading first by example."

McConnell intends to filibuster a spending bill because of earmarks -- including earmarks that he put in the bill. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said something very similar, demanding that the measure be rejected because of the pet projects, one of which is there at his behest.

Republicans said they don't see a contradiction in opposing a bill over earmarks while pushing earmarks in the same bill. Then again, Republicans don't see a lot of things.

The Senate is likely to move on this tomorrow, and it's not entirely clear how much opposition it will muster. Expect Dems to emphasize a few key points, including the fact that the earmarks represent less than 1% of the total spending bill, and the fact that earmark spending is down 75% since Republicans held the Senate majority -- a minor detail the GOP hopes no one remembers.

—Steve Benen 8:35 AM December 15, 2010

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archiv ... 027093.php

PostPosted: 12/15/10 3:16 am • # 2 
Administrator

Any bills that include earmarks for states whose representatives signed on to the no earmarks agreement should face the threat of the veto pen.
After all, there is a moral obligation to keep those signatories on the path of righteousness.

PostPosted: 12/15/10 3:29 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Poison the well...then bitch about the well being poisoned and claim you can't approve of it. 

PostPosted: 12/15/10 3:33 am • # 4 
I have already posted here earlier that Mitch is nothing but a follower, and without someone to lead him, he is dead, but the folks of KY keeps him in office for some unknown reason... He should have never got as far as he has...

PostPosted: 12/15/10 9:03 am • # 5 
Editorialist

PostPosted: 12/15/10 9:05 am • # 6 
Editorialist

PostPosted: 12/15/10 9:06 am • # 7 
Administrator

Hahhahaha

PostPosted: 12/15/10 11:12 am • # 8 
Great cartoons!

PostPosted: 12/16/10 10:47 am • # 9 
Administrator

Has anybody heard of even one of these hypocrites offering to pull her/his own requests? ~ I haven't ~ btw, I think oskar's #1 post is the single best suggestion about earmarks ~ Sooz

By [url=/author/George Zornick]George Zornick[/url] at 2:45 pm
ANALYSIS: A Look At Republicans Who Are Blasting An Omnibus Bill Laden With Their Own Pork

As ThinkProgress noted yesterday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell requested and received millions of dollars in earmarks for this year's omnibus spending bill, but has now denounced the measure and plans to vote against it. Overall, Republican Senators have gotten nearly $2 billion in earmarks into the omnibus, and yet because of concerns over “wasteful spending,â€

PostPosted: 12/16/10 12:07 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Dick Durbin is the senior senator for Illinois ~ and this is a great example of why I always

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply