It is currently 05/18/24 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/15/10 12:35 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Here's the POLITICO 'Breaking News' email I just got ~ while this is great news, it's NO surprise that the Senate poses 'difficult odds' ~ especially after the Marine commandant's damning comments [I think] yesterday ~ if anyone hasn't read those comments, I'm happy to try and find them again ~ Sooz

POLITICO Breaking News
-------------------------------------------------

By a 250-175 vote, the House on Wednesday passed a stand-alone bill that would end the military's "don't ask, don't tell" law. But the bill faces difficult odds in the Senate.

PostPosted: 12/16/10 4:29 am • # 2 
Administrator

Our school motto is from Aristotle: "Do the right thing, in the right way, at the right time" ~ will the Rs be able to live up to an elementary school life-lesson? ~ Sooz 

COUNTING VOTES (AND IGNORING GOHMERT).... The floor of the U.S. House offered quite a debate yesterday on repealing the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, including some beautiful speeches from Democrats on the importance of respect and equality.

On the other end of the spectrum, there was Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas). Hoping to defend the status quo, the confused Texan insisted that "the military is inconsistent with American values," adding that other powerful nations throughout history moved "toward the end of their existence" when they allowed "homosexuality to be overt."

Soon after, Gohmert's colleagues ignored his hysterics and easily approved the freestanding repeal legislation.

Quote:

The House voted 250 to 175 to repeal the 17-year-old law; 15 Republicans voted for the bill, and 15 Democrats voted against it.

The 75-vote margin was wider than a similar House vote in May, when language ending the ban was part of the annual defense authorization bill. That bill failed a procedural vote in the Senate last week, requiring another vote in the House on a separate measure to end to the gay ban.

President Obama heralded the vote, saying in a statement that ending current military policy "is not only the right thing to do, it will also give our military the clarity and certainty it deserves. We must ensure that Americans who are willing to risk their lives for their country are treated fairly and equally by their country."

Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) said Wednesday night that he wants to bring up the bill, but warned, "We are very quickly running out of days in this Congress. The time for week-long negotiations on amendments and requests for days of debate is over. Republican senators who favor repealing this discriminatory policy need to join with us now."

The message from Reid's office wasn't subtle -- the Majority Leader supports the bill and wants it to pass, but if GOP supporters insist on yet another lengthy, time-killing debate, the repeal push will very likely fail again.

We'll probably learn more today about how the process is likely to shake out, but as of right now, there's reason for guarded optimism. Last week, repeal garnered 57 votes. Sen. Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.) was at the dentist, but she'll be on hand for the next vote, and she'll support repeal. That's 58.

Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) said she'd oppose repeal until after the vote on the tax deal, but now that the Senate has approved the policy, she announced yesterday she's a "yes" on this, too. That's 59.

To get over this last hurdle, proponents will need one more vote, which would likely come from a group of relative GOP moderates that includes Sens. Scott Brown (Mass.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska), Richard Lugar (Ind.), and George Voinovich (Ohio). To be clear, Dems don't need all four of them -- they just need one.

The question is what kind of demands we can expect. On the massive defense authorization bill, Brown and Murkowski wanted a lengthy debate with a lot of amendments, but there's no reason for them to make similar conditions on this bill -- it's a clean and simple repeal measure.

If these GOP senators support the change in policy, as they say they do, this should be a relatively painless success. If they make unreasonable demands about process, intended to run out the clock on the session, the last, best shot at repeal will suffer yet another heartbreaker.

—Steve Benen 8:00 AM December 16, 2010

http://www.washingtonmont...idual/2010_12/027112.php

PostPosted: 12/16/10 5:05 am • # 3 
Administrator

IMO, the difference is that this was a stand-alone bill.
Abandon the silly practice of omnibus bills and loading them with extraneous nonsense, aka pork, and you would have a nmuch more effective government.
Each item should pass or fail on its own merits, not because Rep. Joe Blow from Podunk got some money to fix the potholes on Main Street.

PostPosted: 12/16/10 8:37 am • # 4 
Administrator

I was/am very troubled by Amos' comments because he seems to have done a 180* in just a few days ~ given his comments, it was surprising to me that the House vote in favor of repeal was such a solid majority ~ but then we come to the Senate ~ and the John McCains ~ apparently the answer to my question in my prior post is a "NO", at least to some Rs ~ Image

PostPosted: 12/16/10 8:49 am • # 5 
Administrator

Do you have a General Andy as a sidekick to the Amos clown?

PostPosted: 12/17/10 4:04 am • # 6 
Editorialist

question: are their heterosexual women in the Marines?

PostPosted: 12/17/10 1:04 pm • # 7 
Administrator

WTF is wrong with these people? ~ to hold national security hostage because you don't have the cojones to officially vote 'nay' on DADT is cowardly and BS ~ Sooz

This afternoon, as momentum began to build for repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN) threatened that if Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) brings up a vote to repeal the ban, Republicans would not support ratification of the New START treaty. Referring to DADT a “partisanâ€

PostPosted: 12/17/10 1:08 pm • # 8 
Administrator

macroscopic wrote:

Of course there were and still are hetero women in the Marines ~ but I don't get what point you're making, Mac ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/17/10 2:40 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
macroscopic wrote:

Of course there were and still are hetero women in the Marines ~ but I don't get what point you're making, Mac ~

Sooz

Maybe he means that heterosexual women in the Marines are a distraction and can cause soldiers to die and lose limbs?  So women shouldn't be allowed in the Marines?

PostPosted: 12/17/10 2:42 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

sooz08 wrote:
macroscopic wrote:

Sooz

the last time i checked, something less than 10% of the adult population is gay.
i am gathering that the Marines are worried about gay men being "distracting" for sexual issues.
but if that is true, why is it NOT 9x truer for the straight men that have to deal with women in their ranks?

Last edited by macroscopic on 12/17/10 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/17/10 2:49 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

laffinalltheway wrote:
sooz08 wrote:
macroscopic wrote:

Sooz

Maybe he means that heterosexual women in the Marines are a distraction and can cause soldiers to die and lose limbs?  So women shouldn't be allowed in the Marines?
yeah.  what she said.

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply