It is currently 05/17/24 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/18/10 12:55 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Senate votes to end military ban on gays

Obama expected to sign it next week, although change wouldn't take immediate effect

updated 1 hour 55 minutes ago 2010-12-18T21:31:17

In a landmark for gay rights, the Senate on Saturday voted to let gays serve openly in the military, giving President Barack Obama the chance to fulfill a campaign promise and repeal the 17-year policy known as "don't ask, don't tell."

Obama was expected to sign it next week, although the change wouldn't take immediate effect. The legislation says the president and his top military advisers must certify that lifting the ban won't hurt troops' fighting ability. After that, there's a 60-day waiting period for the military.

"It is time to close this chapter in our history," Obama said in a statement after a test vote cleared the way for final action. "It is time to recognize that sacrifice, valor and integrity are no more defined by sexual orientation than they are by race or gender, religion or creed."

The Senate vote was 65-31. The House had passed an identical version of the bill, 250-175, on Wednesday.

Repeal would mean that, for the first time in American history, gays would be openly accepted by the military and could acknowledge their sexual orientation without fear of being kicked out.

More than 13,500 service members have been dismissed under the 1993 law.

Story: House passes repeal of 'don't ask, don't tell'

Rounding up a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate was a historic victory for Obama, who made repeal a campaign promise in 2008. It also was a political triumph for congressional Democrats who struggled in the final hours of the postelection session to overcome GOP objections on several legislative priorities before Republicans regain control of the House in January.

Advertisement | ad info
Advertisement | ad info

"As Barry Goldwater said, 'You don't have to be straight to shoot straight,"' said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., referring to the late GOP senator from Arizona.

Sen. John McCain, Obama's GOP rival in 2008, led the opposition. The Arizona Republican acknowledged he didn't have the votes to stop the bill and he blamed elite liberals with no military experience for pushing their social agenda on troops during wartime.

"They will do what is asked of them," McCain said of service members. "But don't think there won't be a great cost."

In the end, six GOP senators broke with their party on the procedural vote to let the bill move ahead and swung behind repeal after a recent Pentagon study concluded the ban could be lifted without hurting the ability of troops to fight.

'Long fought battle'
Advocacy groups who lobbied hard for repeal hailed the vote as a significant step forward in gay rights. The Servicemembers Legal Defense Network called the issue the "defining civil rights initiative of this decade."

Supporters of repeal filled the visitor seats overlooking the Senate floor, ready to protest had the bill failed.

"This has been a long fought battle, but this failed and discriminatory law will now be history," said Joe Solmonese, president of the Human Rights Campaign.

The Pentagon study found that two-thirds of service members didn't think changing the law would have much of an effect. But of those who did predict negative consequences, a majority were assigned to combat arms units. Nearly 60 percent of the Marine Corps and Army combat units, such as infantry and special operations, said in the survey they thought repealing the law would hurt their units' ability to fight.

The Pentagon's uniformed chiefs are divided on whether this resistance might pose serious problems.

'Distraction'
Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James Amos has said he thinks lifting the ban during wartime could cost lives.

"I don't want to lose any Marines to the distraction," he told reporters this week. "I don't want to have any Marines that I'm visiting at Bethesda (Naval Medical Center) with no legs be the result of any type of distraction."

Adm. Mike Mullen and Marine Gen. James Cartwright, the chairman and vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, respectively, have said the fear of disruption is overblown. They note the Pentagon's finding that 92 percent of troops who believe they have served with a gay person saw no effect on their units' morale or effectiveness. Among Marines in combat roles who said they have served alongside a gay person, 84 percent said there was no impact.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40715888/ns/politics-capitol_hill/

PostPosted: 12/19/10 3:09 am • # 2 
Administrator

Family obligations are important ~ but with a viable work-around, this really is inexcusable ~ a very UNimpressive start to Manchin's tenure ~ Sooz

MANCHIN'S UNEXCUSED ABSENCE.... It was an important day on Capitol Hill yesterday, with the Senate taking up some key measures that were years in the making. Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), who was expected to miss the proceedings with pre-op tests before cancer surgery tomorrow, made a point to be there. Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.), an orthodox Jew, worked on the Shabbat.

So it came as something of a surprise when one member of the Senate Democratic caucus couldn't quite make it to work yesterday -- and offered an underwhelming explanation for his absence.

Quote:

There was one Democratic senator who missed today's crucial votes on Capitol Hill: West Virginia's Joe Manchin, who was elected just last month.

So where was Manchin when the Senate finally passed the "don't ask, don't tell" repeal and took one last shot at the DREAM Act immigration bill?

At a holiday party.

"Sen. Manchin and his wife Gayle planned a holiday gathering over a year ago with all their children and grandchildren as they will not all be together on Christmas Day. While he regrets missing the votes, it was a family obligation that he just could not break," Manchin spokeswoman Sara Payne Scarbro said.

By all appearances, Manchin's vote wouldn't have affected any of the outcomes, and based on his stated positions, Manchin would have voted with Republicans anyway.

But it's the principle here that rankles. Call me old fashioned, but I think senators should show up for work, and if they can't, the excuse should be better than "Christmas party."

Indeed, Ben Smith noted that Manchin wouldn't even have far to go to return home after the day's proceedings: "United Airlines Flight 7795 departs Washington Dulles this evening at 5:40 PM and goes direct to Charleston, W.V., where Manchin lives, arriving at 7:16 PM."

He could have voted and been home in time for pictures and eggnog.

The National Republican Senatorial Committee's spokesperson said, "I'm sure that most Senators, as well as the hundreds of staffers who had to come to work today, would have rather been at a Christmas Party like Joe Manchin. But perhaps in Joe Manchin's world today was a win-win -- not only was he able to skip work and party, but he was also able to avoid voting on two very sensitive political issues. For a Senator who has only been on the job a few weeks, Manchin's absence today, and the apparent lack of seriousness with which he takes the job he was elected to do, speaks volumes."

In most instances, the NRSC takes some pretty cheap shots at Democrats. In this case, the Dem deserves it.

—Steve Benen 8:00 AM December 19, 2010

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archiv ... 027158.php

PostPosted: 12/19/10 3:37 am • # 3 
Administrator

Methinks there are far more important/interesting issues about whch Mr. Benen can write. I find it rather petty.

PostPosted: 12/19/10 10:24 am • # 4 
Administrator

oskar576 wrote:
Methinks there are far more important/interesting issues about whch Mr. Benen can write. I find it rather petty.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion ~ I personally find it honest to the max, and refreshing, when any identified liberal/conservative blogger or politician is willing to expose bad behavior of someone who shares her/his own ideology ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/19/10 10:28 am • # 5 
Administrator

John McCain has been in a downward spiral for a while ~ this is just the most recent evidence ~ Sooz

WHY MUST HE BE SUCH AN ANGRY OLD MAN.... Most good stories have heroes, and when it comes to the story of repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," the list of heroes is wonderfully long.

And then there are the villains.

Quote:

If John McCain gets any more hostile toward his Senate colleagues, they might consider having him go through the metal detector before he enters the Capitol.

Saturday's debate on the repeal of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy was only half an hour old when the Arizona Republican burst onto the floor from the cloakroom, hiked up his pants and stalked over to his friend Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) and Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.). Ignoring Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.), who had the floor, McCain hectored the men noisily for a few moments, waving his arms for emphasis.

When McCain finally stormed off, Durbin shook his head in exasperation and Lieberman smiled. A minute later, McCain returned -- he had apparently remembered another element of his grievance -- and resumed his harangue.

Watching McCain rail endlessly yesterday was a genuinely painful experience. In one sense, he was practically embracing the caricature of himself, lashing out as a bitter, cantankerous ass. I kept expected McCain to start shaking his fist at clouds and demanding that children stay off his lawn.

But that's really not that unusual anymore, and it's only part of a larger picture. McCain wasn't just an angry old man yesterday; what we saw was darker and uglier. The Arizona senator on the floor yesterday, with a series of cringe-worthy tantrums, was hateful and filled with bile. McCain was even sarcastic at times, as if he almost relished the role.

This wasn't about policy. By all appearances, this was personal.

When we look back at the apartheid-loving segregationists of the 1950s and 1960s, most decent people see racists and misguided monsters. Yesterday, it seemed as if McCain decided, perhaps deliberately, that he wanted to be that guy for the 21st century. Why? I obviously can't read the conservative senator's mind, but it seemed to have something to with (a) his intense disgust for President Obama and anything he wants; and (b) his revulsion towards gay people.

If you missed the display, you missed McCain arguing:

* The tripartisan majority supporting repeal are acting "in direct repudiation" to the wishes of the public (which, incidentally, strongly supports repeal).

* Apropos of nothing, McCain said he's launched this crusade because, "You go up to Bethesda Naval Hospital, Marines are up there with no legs, none. You've got Marines at Walter Reed with no limbs."

* At one point, McCain said, "I'm aware that this vote will probably pass today ... and there will be high fives all over the liberal bastions of America. And we'll see the talk shows tomorrow, a bunch of people talking about how great it is. Most of them never have served in the military or maybe not even known someone in the military." (That will be news to the decorated war heroes who voted for repeal yesterday, including Jim Webb and Daniel Inouye.)

This isn't another "Whatever happened to the old McCain?" piece, which we've all seen too many times in recent years. Rather, this is to suggest McCain has done more than make the transition from "maverick" to petulant right-winger. Yesterday, the man waving his arms on the Senate floor was a misanthropic hack who's abandoned basic decency, and trashed any hopes he might have had about a respectable legacy.

—Steve Benen 10:10 AM December 19, 2010

http://www.washingtonmont...idual/2010_12/027161.php

PostPosted: 12/19/10 3:21 pm • # 6 
I honestly read the first sentence like this:

"If John McCain gets any more hostile toward his Senate colleagues, they might consider having him go through the mental detector before he enters the Capitol."

Funny thing is... it fits nonetheless.

PostPosted: 12/19/10 3:32 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

it would be nice if he could show some passion for campaign reform, and against torture, like he used to do, rather than THIS BULLSHIT.

unreal.

PostPosted: 12/19/10 3:59 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

But it's the principle here that rankles. Call me old fashioned, but I think senators should show up for work, and if they can't, the excuse should be better than "Christmas party."

I agree 100%!

PostPosted: 12/22/10 4:34 am • # 9 
Administrator

WOOOHOOO ~ here's a POLITICO 'Breaking News' email ~ Image ~ Sooz

POLITICO Breaking News
-------------------------------------------------

President Barack Obama signed into law legislation repealing the ban on gays and lesbians serving openly in the military.

PostPosted: 12/22/10 5:09 am • # 10 
Administrator

Signed, sealed, delivered ~ NOW we can celebrate this achievement ~ Sooz

'THE RIGHT THING TO DO, PERIOD'.... Given the legislative developments from the weekend, I've already written at some length about the historic breakthrough of repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," and the groups, leaders, policymakers, and activists who made this landmark civil rights achievement possible.

But I'd be remiss if I didn't note the inspiring signing ceremony held at the White House this morning, the video of which I've embedded here.

For those who can't watch clips from your work computers, President Obama noted before signing the bill, "No longer will our country be denied the service of thousands of patriotic Americans who are forced to leave the military -- regardless of their skills, no matter their bravery or their zeal, no matter their years of exemplary performance -- because they happen to be gay. No longer will tens of thousands of Americans in uniform be asked to live a lie, or look over their shoulder in order to serve the country that they love."

He added that he believes "this is the right thing to do for our military. That's why I believe it is the right thing to do, period."

The president noted that a transition phase will begin, but as talked with each of the service chiefs, all of whom are "committed to implementing this change swiftly and efficiently." Obama went on to vow, "We are not going to be dragging our feet to get this done."

Of particular interest, clearing up a lingering question, the president also said this morning that he hopes U.S. troops who were discharged under the DADT policy will re-enlist.

At the outset, Obama told an enthusiastic audience, "This is a good day." I couldn't agree more.

—Steve Benen 10:50 AM December 22, 2010

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archiv ... 027207.php

PostPosted: 12/22/10 6:48 am • # 11 
Signed, sealed, delivered ~ NOW we can celebrate another achievement!

PostPosted: 12/22/10 2:45 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply